Diabetic Diet

Options
I haven't been officially diagnosed, getting blood work done on saturday, but at the very least I'm showing signs of it, so for the meantime, I'm at least pre-diabetic.

I have no idea what to do. What to eat/what not to eat.

Help me make a shopping list? :smile:

Replies

• MarshallBlaire
    MarshallBlaire Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had to go to a dietitian to help me figure out what I should eat, bust mostly just be mid full about how many carbs you are eating. Sorry I cant be very helpful.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    There is some info on the ADA American diabetes association website, I found it rather vague. It does show some samples of what a plate would look like and some carb info. I am seeing a dietician next week.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    • 15-30 grams of carbs per snack
    • 30-45 grams of carbs per meal (although 45 is typically too many for most)
    • Never eat carbohydrates alone- always pair with protein
    • Eat every 3-4 hours
    • Complex carbs only

Eat lots of: Veggies, lean meats, fish, nuts, seeds.
    Eat in moderation (as in once or twice a week): Fruit (berries are the best because they are low GI), cookies, cake, muffins, crackers, fast food, bread, pasta, and other highly processed foods.
    Avoid: Soda, juice, and candy (unless hypoglycemic).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Regarding the shopping list. Depending on the doctor, this is usually the plan:

Limit this: bread, pasta, pizza, rice, corn, potatoes.
    Limit this: fruit

Eat this: beef, pork, chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, beans,

Eat lots of this: broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Lower carb intake to help stabilize blood glucose.

Meats: chicken, fish, beef, pork etc. Try to refrain from using sauces on them that are high carb. I generally bake my chicken and fish in evoo with a few seasonings and pan fry the beef and pork. Chicken stuffed with spinach, feta and cream cheese is really good.

Vegetables: green veggies such as spinach broccoli, kale, green beans, Asparagus. Cauliflower, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers. There are a lot more that are low on carbs.

Fruit in small amounts..berries are best. Bread and pasta should be whole wheat not white (check sugar content even in wheat bread). Ezeikieal and rye breads are usually even better. Brown rice or quinoa. Watch servings on all of these.

Milk has a lot of sugar, so keep that in mind. I usually go for unsweetened almond milk and use half and half in coffee.

**don't eat carbs alone. Always pair with protein.

I avoid all fruit juice, soda, candy, etc.

My diary is open. Just as a note if you do look.. I'm on a ketogenic diet, to stabilize my blood glucose, so my carbs are really low. I have reactive hypoglycemia and don't recommend going this low without consulting a doctor.

Best of luck.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Good advice here. Basically avoid simple carbs with high glycemic index (GI). Hopefully your doctor can give you more guidance or recommend a dietitian after your appointment. Best wishes sent your way.
  • BeautifulChaos27
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I tried to manage some of my own shopping last night, ended up feeling dead and disoriented, ate some chocolate and life got better. SO even if I'm not officially diagnosed yet, I may as well be. I talked to a friend who knows a ton about diabetes and she seems to think it sounds like I have type 1, if it matters?

- How much sugar is too much in a day?
    - Same but for carbs?

Hopefully I'll be able to see a nutritionist soon, but for now you're all helping a bunch. :smiley:
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    There isn't one set amount of carbohydrate that is recommended for everyone with diabetes, and each person needs to work with their physician and a diabetes educator to figure out the amount of carbohydrate that is best for them, based on their activity level, blood sugar levels, and overall health history. Many people find that using the tools here to keep track of when you eat, what you eat, and the amount of carbohydrate in everything you eat help your diabetes team come up with a range of carbohydrate that is best for you. ~Lynn /Glucerna