Calves (yeah this is apparently a popular subject on this site)

Options
Does anyone know anything about working out calves but not bulking them up?
Before anyone starts on the "if it's muscle, it won't slim down" bit, it's not muscle. There may be some muscle there but it's buried under a layer of squishy.
I've been walking on the treadmill almost daily (I've been lazy a few times but I've been steadfast for the last week). I'm also looking at starting some strength training to build up other areas that have crap muscle tone.
Now, I do still have about 30-40 lbs to lose before I get to where I want to be, so I'm assuming there's still a good amount of fat I can lose that might bring my calves to a more respectable circumference. (I'm still deciding exactly where I want to end up weight-wise.)
But is it feasible that I can have smaller calves?
I just want to be able to wear normal boots again without hunting down "extended calf" boots. I'm 15" on the left and 15.5" on the right and I seriously just want to get to like 14" or 14.5" for both (what I see most often as the regular boots and I have worn regular boots before). I know that they have gone down some because they were roughly 16" and 16.5" at the beginning of my journey.
Anything anyone can share?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    If its buried under a layer of fat, and you are eating at a deficit, chances are that you will lose some of that fat and your calves will get smaller. Its just like anything else, you can't spot reduce, but eventually you will lose fat from all over your body. As for not "bulking" the calves, don't do calf/toe raises with heavy weights and eat at a surplus:)
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have monster calves...it's how I'm built. I'm almost at goal and my right calf is still 14.5. Much better than the 17 I started at, but I'm short and thick that way (good peasant stock, I guess)and will never have small calves. I just have to accept that. Your remaining 30-40lbs should take care of the little extra you want to take off though, I'd say.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Your calves are comprised of the gastrocnemius and soleus.

So pair some fat loss with some weighted calf raises. They'll get good.