Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Siege_Tank wrote: »
    ^ venom. Sticks and stones, love.

And keep arguing with data, that'll change it.

lol. That stuff you posted...bunch of rubbish

It's not rubbish. The newspaper article is based on a peer reviewed article and it actually is reiterating what most of the studies done before it had also found.

I don't know why people have so much trouble believing that their way is not The Only Healthy Way to lose weight. It's like someone is telling them that they HAVE TO eat less. No one is doing that.

OP- There were some other threads on this study and they didn't get deleted.
    Which peer reviewed article?
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(14)70200-1/abstract

"Interpretation:
    The rate of weight loss does not affect the proportion of weight regained within 144 weeks. These findings are not consistent with present dietary guidelines which recommend gradual over rapid weight loss, based on the belief that rapid weight loss is more quickly regained."

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you're weak and tired all the time or you're getting dizzy, you've probably dropped your calories too low and should slow down your weight loss.

If you feel good and strong, can exercise and all that, I don't see why you should lose weight slower just for the sake of going slower.

Whether or not you regain the weight has everything to do with how you eat after you're done losing. I think it's a good idea to keep that end in mind while you lose, working toward whatever food and health goals you have yourself while you lose.

Everyone is unique, though. We all have to walk our own path on the weight loss journey.

There is no One, True Way to lose.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm going to keep eating the food that I like, tracking my calories, eating at a deficit, drinking my water and going on daily walks. talk to the people here on MFP that have lost wait and kept it off for more than 2 years. Please, get a clue.
    As am I. Granted. My approach, after all these years flies in the face of MFP mantra.

Perhaps, just perhaps, there's more than one way to do this... Perhaps it's not about how we eat to lose, but what we learn along the journey. Heck, that's probably true with most things in life.
    Love it! <3

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

You seem unreasonably hostile.

That seemed hostile? Not "Please, get a clue"? :o

Yes, OP kind of came out swinging. Edit: Or on the defensive, would be a better way to describe it.

Because I have tried asking for *CONSTRUCTIVE* feedback on some stuff I just read, and to be perfectly honest, I don't trust myself when it comes to making descisions on what I believe.. because I've been so, so SO wrong in the past.

And the people on these boards, some of them anyway, proved my point, the first response was "Get a clue". Cause that's constructive. And then the rest of the thread is a discussion on whether or not that was rude.

Humans suck. Edit: fine, that's not accurate. Some humans are stubborn. That's better and less hostile.

I just wish for once I didn't have to have an argument on what the question actually is..

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If you're weak and tired all the time or you're getting dizzy, you've probably dropped your calories too low and should slow down your weight loss.

If you feel good and strong, can exercise and all that, I don't see why you should lose weight slower just for the sake of going slower.

Whether or not you regain the weight has everything to do with how you eat after you're done losing. I think it's a good idea to keep that end in mind while you lose, working toward whatever food and heal goals you have yourself while you lose.

Everyone is unique, though. We all have to walk our own path on the weight loss journey.

Oh please. It's Paleo. It's always Paleo.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

THAT seemed hostile to you? interesting.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I only went in here b/c I saw OdesAngel's little owl pic. Now I will read the thread, and let you know if it was as promising as Odes presence made it seem. BRB.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I only went in here b/c I saw OdesAngel's little owl pic. Now I will read the thread, and let you know if it was as promising as Odes presence made it seem. BRB.
    <3
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Whether or not you regain the weight has everything to do with how you eat after you're done losing. I think it's a good idea to keep that end in mind while you lose, working toward whatever food and health goals you have yourself while you lose.

CICO is the true way to lose
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Siege,

I don't perceive you as telling other what to do, so we're good there. However, this information is not new (though I see this particular article was just published. :)), and I believe it's been discussed on the forums before.

As for me, I tried the very low calorie diets, and all they did was taught me about depriving myself, helped me to validate a bad relationship with food, and just confirmed to me over and over again that I didn't have it in me to lose weight. I was also very hungry and very cranky. Of course, I lost weight, but by the time I was done dieting, I'd been so deprived and so hungry, didn't really make any behavioral changes, and therefore I went back to eating as much or more as I did when I was fat.

It took me almost a year to lose 44 pounds. I learned all I could about nutrition, my BMR and TDEE, weighed all food, learned how to property log food and exercise, and didn't deprive myself of a thing. I have been maintaining for almost a year now, the longest I ever have in my life. This, in my personal experience, is due to changing my relationship with food, learning how to eat foods in moderation, and coming to the solid realization that I am 100% in charge of my weight.

In other words, it really doesn't matter how fast either group put their weight back on, what matters is that people who put their weight back on did not make a lifestyle change in order to keep it off.

This comes from a person who would have at one time disagreed with everything I just wrote and agreed with that what I see as nonsense article.

Hey, that describes me exactly!
    I think what sometimes gets left out of the equation is that weight loss is very much a mental process as well as a physical one. It's extremely difficult mentally to restrict calories to a really low number.

or to count, measure, weigh, or to limit what one eats....
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of obese people who come here for info get discouraged and quit because they believe that these claims you read here constantly are 100% true:

1- You have to lose slowly or you're destined to regain. (Pretty discouraging if you have hundreds of pounds to lose and want to get out of obese BMI and be healthier before next summer.)

2- If you don't lift free weights in the gym, you will just be skinny fat if you do succeed. (Pretty discouraging if you're so large you can't fathom walking in a gym, much less heading into the free weights).

3- If you don't weigh all your foods, you're doing it wrong. (Pretty discouraging especially if you believe you have to do this for years.)

How many of those people decide, "It's too much, I can't do all that."
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don't think my way is the only way, and I think everyone should do what works. But that "study" ... really? That's not really science. The people who crash dieted lost more weight than the people who didn't ... well duh. They all put their weight back on when they went back to their old habits ... double duh.

Fact is, it is better for all sorts of reasons to lose weight in a sustainable manner. Gives your body time to adjust. Gives your skin time to shrink. Gives you a better chance of NOT putting it all back on as you haven't severely deprived yourself. Gives you the nutrition you need to keep yourself healthy while losing weight, not just dumping a heap of muscle and fat in a short time. So many people cut themselves down to very low cals, do stupid shake diets, soup diets, etc, and find that the degree of control and restriction causes them to go out of control the other way after a while. This is why it's called yo-yo dieting.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Siege,

In other words, it really doesn't matter how fast either group put their weight back on, what matters is that people who put their weight back on did not make a lifestyle change in order to keep it off.

Lifestyle change is the answer
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    <3
    Is your pic an owl? I thought it was some kind of furby. It is cute :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm going to keep eating the food that I like, tracking my calories, eating at a deficit, drinking my water and going on daily walks. talk to the people here on MFP that have lost wait and kept it off for more than 2 years. Please, get a clue.
    As am I. Granted. My approach, after all these years flies in the face of MFP mantra. (13 years at maintenance so far...)

Perhaps, just perhaps, there's more than one way to do this... Perhaps it's not about how we eat to lose, but what we learn along the journey. Heck, that's probably true with most things in life.

you give me hope. Can I PM you to ask you a question?

sure. Dont know that I have a thing to offer. But always willing to offer...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    edit
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    As am I. Granted. My approach, after all these years flies in the face of MFP mantra. (13 years at maintenance so far...)

you give me hope. Can I PM you to ask you a question?

sure. Dont know that I have a thing to offer. But always willing to offer...

So nice and polite.