Vit K - PE / DVT - Warfarin - Stop the Clot!

Wouldn't it be great to track Vit K! Even the ability to manually see foods that have high levels of Vit K would be helpful or remind us that we had a high day one day and to watch the next. This would take developing, but it sure would save lives! Thank you MyFitnessPal!

Replies

• habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    MFP is great, but I *really* would not trust it with anything that could be immediately life-threatening. Vitamin K is not required on nutrition labels and much of the database is user-generated (thus very broad but rife with errors large and small).

If you are looking for change, I believe there are groups who are working toward getting more nutrition information included on food labels, that might be a good place to start! If nutrition labels were more complete, that would start trickling into food databases such as the one on here. It still could not be relied upon by anyone with medical conditions requiring the monitoring or limiting of specific nutrients because that must ultimately be the responsibility of the impacted individual.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    I mean I guess since warfarin is, like, new, and, like, there's no experience with it, man. we sure do need a tracker, since, like, this is, like soooo new.

I kid, but seriously -- "it sure would save lives" is some nice hyperbole. VKAs are a pain in the tookas to be sure, but your MD office gave you all the resources you need, and use those. There are good web sites that have the Vit K (raw and cooked) amounts. just use those.

it's pretty easy to track vit k intake as it is. if one is that lazy with Vit K that they're incabable of tracking it themselves, well.....

since you're feeling this is that life-threatening/serious, I must echo Habit365 and say not to trust MFP. (look at how many dr oz/oprah / antivax / "woo meisterism" goes on in the forums to see that this is probably too much for MFP)

• suzbhar
    suzbhar Posts: 6 Member
    I guess this is another thing for the FDA to mandate - but they eventually came around with gluten and other ingredients. Isn't nice that wheat is listed? BTW, Warfarin has been around for many years - approved by the FDA in 1954. Tracking Vit K, helpful - if we get too much / too little - not life threatening - but it sure would be helpful - just as it's helpful to know how many calories you eat everyday.
    -
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    wtf? gluten. oh gawd.

nuff said. gotcha. oprah and dr oz can do that for you. leave this for whatever serious, science-based folks are left.

also get yer damn vaccinations.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited November 2014
    I mean I guess since warfarin is, like, new, and, like, there's no experience with it, man. we sure do need a tracker, since, like, this is, like soooo new.

Warfarin was first FDA approved in 1954. Do you really call that " new " ?
    I think 60 years is a lot of time to gain experience from a drug.

• ElohMaps
    ElohMaps Posts: 12 Member
    Whether you consider it life threatening, or not; new (which it isn't) or not, It messes up my diet trying to also balance my carbs and calories and.... because I have to be conscious of stuff that can neutralize the effects of warfarin, it would be good to see. It certainly is not on the package's ingredients & I also doubt the FDA will include it. Hard to create a data base w/o data!