Chocolate Addiction

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how to break a chocolate addiction. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Give me all your chocolate :D

No, seriously, if you don't think you can handle a couple pieces in moderation, maybe you should eliminate it being in the house. I've gone from a bag of Hershey Kisses in 3-4 days to two squares of Ghirardelli 72% every couple weeks.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was starting to get bad about binging on bars of chocolate (and other sweets and chips) and about 2 weeks ago I started just having 2 squares of 70% chocolate every day (I'd never even had dark chocolate before). I find it really helps me keep on top of my cravings and I haven't had any other chocolate etc since I started this. It's working for me anyway :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Give me all your chocolate :D

No, seriously, if you don't think you can handle a couple pieces in moderation, maybe you should eliminate it being in the house. I've gone from a bag of Hershey Kisses in 3-4 days to two squares of Ghirardelli 72% every couple weeks.

This is probably a good idea until you get a handle on it. I would also be wary of the word addiction. It's not an addiction. Addictions are very powerful things that leave people sick and debilitated if they don't have what they need. Don't give your chocolate habit more power than it actually had. You have cravings, you need to work on those cravings.
  • deehovey
    deehovey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I could never cut chocolate out of my life. I eat 16 bittersweet Ghirardelli's chocolate chips nearly every night. It's 80 calories, and I slowly let each one melt in my mouth and purposely savor it. I find it much more satisfying than it was when I wolfed down larger quantities of cheaper chocolate.
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    choco is good for you. why would you ever want to give up the 'addiction'?
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yes. Make skinny chunky monkey cookies. 3 ripe bananas mashed, one fourth cup cocoa, one third cup applesauce, one fourth cup peanut butter (I like chunky) two cups oatmeal. Drop by teaspoons onto baking sheet. Bake a bit. Can divide into baggies and freeze. I put six in a baggie and freeze. Microwave till not frozen and eat for breakfast. Honestly best thing ever and ALL HEALTHY.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Next time you are really craving chocolate, get some vanilla essence from the pantry, open it and sniff. The smell somehow eases the craving. Sounds like BS, I know, but try it.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Stop buying it.
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate, and the first mistake I made, on my journey to a new me, was giving it up completely. When I'd binge, I'd go all out and feel terrible - almost like I'd destroyed all my progress with one day of indulging in chocolate. Now, I've learned moderation - which is good because I really dislike dark chocolate. The only chocolate we keep in the house is "fun-sized", and if I decide I want one (I limit myself to one), then I make sure that I include extra time in my workout to make up for it. As I've decreased the amount of chocolate I eat on a regular basis, it's easier not to have it. The problem is, we as humans are programmed to love (and crave) sugar. It's just a matter of moderation. You don't have to give it up completely :)
  • sparkynazca
    sparkynazca Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    For me, temptation is all or nothing. If I crave something, I simply can not have it around me. I don't personally crave chocolate, but I do crave savory things or carbs. Especially baked potatos. I just don't keep them around.