Supplements for a vegetarian?

I have been a vegetarian for over two years now, and I take a calcium supplement and a multivitamin daily. What are other useful/healthy supplements/vitamins, and what are they good for? Any especially good for vegetarians?

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    i'm not a vegetarian, but i know that there can be a tendency for b12 and iron deficiencies. perhaps your multivitamin handles that though.

what are you goals? what are you looking for in supplements?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Iron is a big one probably. The multivitamin probably covers it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    I take iron and omega 3. A lot of multis don't include iron, so it's worth checking that.
  • corofinlass
    corofinlass Posts: 43 Member
    I am a vegetarian for 20 plus years now (god, saying that makes me feel old!!). I mostly take calcium, vitamin d & B12 supplements.
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 121 Member
    I've been veg for 16 years and I developed a B12 deficieny several years ago. The multivitamin that I was taking was not enough to supplement the lack of B12 in my food (B12 is found mainly in meat) so I had to start taking a stand alone B12 supplement. My doctor told me to use the sublingual kind. Everything else has always been fine though, including my iron levels.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Like everyone else, you should take the supplements you need and not take the ones you don't. Your doctor will run your blood every year, assuming you show up for your physical. He will tell you if you need to supplement. :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I am transitioning to a vegetarian life, and I take centrum with iron, and a b complex. I will consider adding flaxseed oil pills once I have dropped fish.
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    I used to be a vegetarian for around five years, I had B12 and iron deficiency.