How to log the potatoes?

Options
Hello all, I'm planning on roasting some beef and I like to cut up potatoes and roast them in the same pan, my question is....how would I log the potatoes? Since after they're cooked, they've soaked up a bunch of the beef juice..any ideas? Thanks in advance. :smile:

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    That will already be accounted for when logging the beef, assuming you're logging it raw
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just weigh them before you cook them and the juices will be account for with the beef
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, makes sense. Now....what if I were to have a serving of potatoes with no beef?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think you're focusing too much on the minor.

Log em raw.

OR you could roast the beef, weigh the drippings, freeze off the fat, weigh the fat so you have the actual fat weight. Then, heat back up, roast the potatoes, then decant off what wasn't absorbed by the potatoes, take a fat weight reading, and then remove from the original weight to measure absorption.

But really, that's a lot of work for what? You can short cut it by adding a 1T oil entry with the potato.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, makes sense. Now....what if I were to have a serving of potatoes with no beef?

It'll average out when you eat & log the meat (which no longer has the juices you've cooked into the meat)
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    Lol that sounds like a good plan....the 2nd one I mean. :smile:
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    OR you could roast the beef, weigh the drippings, freeze off the fat, weigh the fat so you have the actual fat weight. Then, heat back up, roast the potatoes, then decant off what wasn't absorbed by the potatoes, take a fat weight reading, and then remove from the original weight to measure absorption.

If someone is actually this worried about the minutia, I would start looking for signs of an eating disorder :(
  • aubyshortcake
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

If someone is actually this worried about the minutia, I would start looking for signs of an eating disorder :(
    yes that would be a bit extreme.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

I had to do that once for 80# of potatoes and 140# of standing rib roasts. Yeah, it's extreme.