negative net.

Options
13»

Replies

• Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my calories. Not even when I burn 1500 cals. I'm not unhealthy, I haven't wasted away. I didn't stop losing weight. See how your body reacts, and respond to that. You just can't do it every single day :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Mfp could be overestimating your calorie burn. I like to consider what I have actually eaten and make sure it is reasonable. Many people here say to just eat back half of the perceived calories burned.

This is why I have a HRM. I don't use MFP's estimates for calorie burn. I've done pretty well for myself. I am very close to my final goal of 100 pounds and I've been slowing increasing my calorie goal ever other week or third week or so.

I've finally broke my stall (at 95 lbs lost) but I almost decided that the final 5 lbs weren't going to come off without a crowbar since I'm at a healthy weight.

But if you are actually at a negative NET for the day you are starving and your body will take it out on you...

Oh my calorie goal is 1500 calories right now but I'm consuming about 2000-2200 and exercising except on "Rest days" and then I chose my calorie spots and come real close to 1500 calories. When my goal was 1200 calories, rest days sucked because 1200 calories is paltry. 1500 means I have to be really careful about what I eat if I'm not exercising. I still eat mostly clean/healthy when I'm exercising but not rigidly so...
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    UMMMM............Hello? A negative net calories means that you exercised away absolutely everything you ate. That means you basically starved yourself. You should never be at a negative net on calories. Everyone has a baseline amount of calories that your body needs to just keep itself alive.....I'm talking about just to exist lying in bed doing absolutely nothing. You should not go below this # on a regular basis if you want a healthy metabolism and you don't want to do harm to yourself......it's your BMI. You need to find out what your BMI and your TDEE are and then cut your calories by maybe 15% from your TDEE. That is how many calories you should be eating AFTER you eat back your exercise calories if your exercise is not calculated into your daily calorie goal. MFP already calculates a deficit in the calorie goals it gives people so if you don't eat back your exercise calories you are eating at a very unhealthy dangerous calorie level that isn't enough to sustain an adult that is just lying in bed doing nothing.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my calories. Not even when I burn 1500 cals. I'm not unhealthy, I haven't wasted away. I didn't stop losing weight. See how your body reacts, and respond to that. You just can't do it every single day :)

No you will still lose weight, but a larger % of the weight loss will come from lean muscle vs. fat, than if you ate at a smaller deficit, meaning at every weight along the weight loss your body fat% would be higher than if your deficit was smaller.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's been said because I haven't read every single post (short attention span) but you don't need to - and shouldn't! - burn off EVERYTHING you eat through exercise.

Your body is always burning calories. Even if you were to stay in bed 24 hours, you're still burning calories. And that's something I didn't quite understand when I first started exercising. I didn't think about how my brain burns calories, my heart burns calories, my lungs burn calories.... ever single thing I do throughout the day is burning calories.

Look up your BMR. That's about what it would take to maintain your current weight if you were in a coma. The second you wake up, and stagger off to the bathroom to pee (at least that's how my morning starts), you're burning more than your BMR.

All you need to do to lose weight is to eat less than your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). And not a whole lot less.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yes that would be bad!
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Is this a troll?
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't like to log my exercise. I exercise a lot but my doctor and dietician have put me on a plan to eat 1200 calories no matter how much I exercise. Some days I am netting -1000. I feel great and my last check up was great. I still have lots of energy and I am losing about 1 - 2 lbs a week.

What works for one may not work for the other. You should talk to your doctor. He/She knows you much better than a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Horrible. With a negative net you should be losing like 3+ lbs/week. If you are losing less than you are eating more than you think, burning less, or your metabolism is slowing down.

Please get a second opinion, 1200 cals is about what my 2 year old eats/day and he weighs around 30lbs.

Oh no! A stranger on the internet disagrees with two medical professionals who have actually met me and seen my blood tests! I'd better find a new one....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't like to log my exercise. I exercise a lot but my doctor and dietician have put me on a plan to eat 1200 calories no matter how much I exercise. Some days I am netting -1000. I feel great and my last check up was great. I still have lots of energy and I am losing about 1 - 2 lbs a week.

What works for one may not work for the other. You should talk to your doctor. He/She knows you much better than a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Horrible. With a negative net you should be losing like 3+ lbs/week. If you are losing less than you are eating more than you think, burning less, or your metabolism is slowing down.

Please get a second opinion, 1200 cals is about what my 2 year old eats/day and he weighs around 30lbs.

Oh no! A stranger on the internet disagrees with two medical professionals who have actually met me and seen my blood tests! I'd better find a new one....

Doesn't make them right either...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Eat if you're hungry. One or two days of negative net isn't going to hurt you.

About the only sensible things here.

If your caloric goal is 1500 and that gives you a 2 pound loss per week, and you eat at 1500 daily, you would lose about 2 pounds.

If your caloric goal is 1500 for a two pound a week loss, plus you burn 500 calories daily in exercise, MFP allows you to consume 2000 calories...and you would still lose about 2 pounds per week (probably more if you consider afterburn, metabolism, etc).

If your caloric goal is 1500 calories for a two pound loss a week, plus your burn 500 calories daily in exercise, and you DO NOT eat your calories back, you consume 1000 calories...which adds about an additional pound of weight lost each week.

Amiright?
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    A negative net at the beginning of the day because you exercise on an empty stomach is no problem, but if it's at the end of the day then it's not good. You can't have too many negative nets at the end of the day, it's literal starvation and it's the opposite of healthy.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Do the math, then admit to yourself "my weight loss goal is actually 3-6 pounds per week".

ETA: That is assuming it is a regular thing. A 1,200 calorie diet, a 0.5 lb/week goal, and a net of -1 calories for 7 days would be a goal of 2.902 lb/week. A net of -50 for 7 days would be 3 lb per week. A 1,500 daily goal, a 2 lb/week weight loss goal, and 7 days of -250 netted would be 5.5 lb/week.

A regular negative net using the MFP method does not meet what is generally considered "safe and sustainable" weight loss. If it is just a short period while you try to balance food and exercise, or an occasional thing, it probably won't be detrimental.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options

2j46gas.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

2j46gas.jpg

I am glad you are happy with your dietitian and doctor. I am sure they have a plan for you that will work. My guess is that they are trying to get some pounds off of you quick to get you motivated. Maybe after a few lbs lost they will give you a more sensible plan. It sounds to me like they have you on a "diet" rather than a lifestyle change like most of us are trying to do. I'm not sure why as you don't look morbidly obese from your pictures, but I would have a hard time as well if I were you not listening to them if I was in your shoes.

For the record, there is no need to get an attitude with posters who have disagreements about what your dietitian and doctor are planning for you. To most of us, they are wrong and will most likely change your plan once they see some weight loss in you.

All in my opinion of course.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

2j46gas.jpg

I am glad you trust your doctor and think they are right, but the truth is I can't put that much trust in doctors. I followed doctors orders without question and ended up in the hospital and almost lost my life because that doctor was an idiot and decided to give medications that should never be mixed. Being a doctor doesn't guarantee they are always right. They are still human and do make mistakes.

There was no reason to get an attitude. If you trust your doc go for it. I am not sure why your advice was relevent since you are doctor supervised and op is not, but that is just my opinion.