Clean eating - curiosity?

Options
Hey everybody :smiley: just curious about what you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks if you eat clean. I just had the best almond milk hot chocolate with raw cacao powder, and I wouldn't have known that if someone else hadn't posted it! So what are your go-to meals? And, go!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You made almond milk? Impressive!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt with nuts and fresh or dried fruit, maybe add some chia seeds or hemp hearts, or low sugar granola in it for breakfast. Clean eating is a hot topic on MFP, you can search it in the forums and get an eye-full of pros, cons, believers and skeptics. There are some great websites for healthy lean eating recipes, like skinnytaste.com. A bit of searching on the forums here is really useful, look under the forum title topics "recipes" and "food and nutrition" for some terrific tips and recipes! Exercise for your fingers, ha ha! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Don't most people eat lots of different things for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Also, why do you only care about people who self-define as "clean eaters"? What eating "clean" is depends on the person anyway, so it would make more sense to ask about your specific restrictions, whatever they are. Also, just because someone doesn't eat "clean" doesn't mean that their meals aren't ones that you might like (or not). Like I've said before, I eat ice cream, etc., but I don't actually eat it as part of every meal, such that they are tainted or whatever the concern is.

Anyway, I'm not a "clean" eater, but I'm currently eating a (late) lunch that is actually leftovers from dinner: lamb, green beans, and sweet potatoes, with a sauce made up mainly of plums and apples, but also containing (gasp!) some apple cider vinegar and brandy. For breakfast I had a broccoli, kale, mushroom, onion, and feta omelet plus some (again, gasp!) honey flavored greek yogurt. I'll probably repeat last night's dinner, which was Alaskan cod with lots of vegetables and some mango, but I might decide to have some potato with it.

And then I'll have calories left, so will likely have some ice cream.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Don't most people eat lots of different things for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Also, why do you only care about people who self-define as "clean eaters"? What eating "clean" is depends on the person anyway, so it would make more sense to ask about your specific restrictions, whatever they are. Also, just because someone doesn't eat "clean" doesn't mean that their meals aren't ones that you might like (or not). Like I've said before, I eat ice cream, etc., but I don't actually eat it as part of every meal, such that they are tainted or whatever the concern is.

Anyway, I'm not a "clean" eater, but I'm currently eating a (late) lunch that is actually leftovers from dinner: lamb, green beans, and sweet potatoes, with a sauce made up mainly of plums and apples, but also containing (gasp!) some apple cider vinegar and brandy. For breakfast I had a broccoli, kale, mushroom, onion, and feta omelet plus some (again, gasp!) honey flavored greek yogurt. I'll probably repeat last night's dinner, which was Alaskan cod with lots of vegetables and some mango, but I might decide to have some potato with it.

Everything you just said was clean so why are you fussing about clean eaters as if there's something wrong or like someone has shunned you lol.Ice cream is your only not so clean thing and you are human and you should have a little ice cream occasionally if you like it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    clean eating thread, yay.
    f0a.gif
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

It's actually only ground up almonds and water. I don't have the desire to clean my food processor for something I can pay $3 for, so I would rather make nut butter if I'm going to go that far.

To answer the OP, there is no consensus on what "clean" eating means. Personally I don't eat breakfast. I prefer to wait until lunchtime to break my fast, as I find it easier to stay within my goals. And I don't eat "clean" but I do eat about 80% "whole," which could amount to the same thing. So, typically I break my fast with a protein (seafood, chicken, pork, beef, lamb, buffalo, eggs, etc....all wild-caught or grass-fed or free-range, antibiotic and hormone free, as the case may be) and a veggie dish (preferably local and seasonal, into the winter squash right now) and sometimes a grain or legume dish (homemade pasta, lentils, brown, red or wild rice, beans, etc.) I don't eat actual bread often, and when I do it's whole grain. I try to skew my proteins heavily toward seafood.

But, I also eat Papa Johns, Taco Bell, Fiber One bars, processed meats in the form of hot dogs and sausage, and I eat a lot of cheeses...good ones, like goat cheese and brie and gorgonzola.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

It's actually only ground up almonds and water. I don't have the desire to clean my food processor for something I can pay $3 for, so I would rather make nut butter if I'm going to go that far.

..... Ok....
  • mitchfergustitus
    mitchfergustitus Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" will help get results faster, but remember to take a cheat meal once a week and get all of those cravings out.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Everything you just said was clean so why are you fussing about clean eaters as if there's something wrong or like someone has shunned you lol.Ice cream is your only not so clean thing and you are human and you should have a little ice cream occasionally if you like it.

I think that depends on your definition of clean eating, which is where these threads start to break down. It's been defined on these boards as: nothing with a barcode, nothing that comes out of a package, foods with only one ingredient, nothing processed, nothing with added chemicals, nothing with any chemicals, nothing with any preservatives, or only real foods. Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, brandy, honey, and almond milk are all considered unclean by certain groups and clean by others.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Even my produce usually has a barcode unless I stop by the farmer's market. A couple of the grocers in the area sell local organic produce...with barcode stickers.
  • poohlover515
    poohlover515 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    clean eating thread, yay.
    f0a.gif

LMAO!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I grow my own toast
  • MikySchwartz
    MikySchwartz Posts: 20
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Eggs, chicken , turkey, beef, fish cooked any way yo like. All Fruit. All vegetables. Beans. Nuts. some fats like olive/coconut oils, avocado, butter. Nut or regular milk.
    I cook several pounds of meat/fish, chop up or cook oll my vegs, hard boil my eggs. Create about 20 meals (breakfast /lunch/ dinner) and 2 snacks (per day). Go to meals are 2 hard boiled eggs and some fruit for breakfast, chicken and vegs for lunch, a small apple as morning snack and protein shake as afternoon snack. Chicken/beef/fish and vegs for dinner. Easy...
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I come home, take a long hot shower, then order from Domino's. Now that's clean eating.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I grow my own toast

You fibber

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I grow my own toast

You fibber

z88p0lrhny8n.jpeg

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I eat a wide variety of foods...I don't really have a "go to" per sei. I like variety and I'm a really good cook.

That said, dietary staples would include all manner of veg, eggs, avocados, legumes, oats, almonds, apples, salmon, hake, chicken, pork tenderloin, various potato varieties, and brown rice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I think that depends on your definition of clean eating, which is where these threads start to break down. It's been defined on these boards as: nothing with a barcode, nothing that comes out of a package, foods with only one ingredient, nothing processed, nothing with added chemicals, nothing with any chemicals, nothing with any preservatives, or only real foods. Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, brandy, honey, and almond milk are all considered unclean by certain groups and clean by others.

Yes, this. Also, I have other meals from time to time that might be less "clean" as you define it, or as the OP does. (I don't define any of my meals that way, since I think it's a silly term that means nothing and also I don't see why ice cream is "not so clean." I don't eat dirty food.)

My bigger question is why ask a question that by definition divides us all up into "clean" and "unclean" eaters, as if only what the "clean eaters" do could possibly be of interest. I'm not paleo or vegan, but I read recipe blogs by people who are both, since I might still get ideas from the recipes. Similarly, you might not want to eat everything someone else does, but chances are you might find meals of interest from someone who eats more broadly also.

Or maybe not. Like I said initially, perhaps our food is tainted somehow.
  • ConnieR
    ConnieR Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My cleanest eating day usually consists of strawberries and banana for breakfast. For lunch: salad with tofu, nuts, tomato and avocado. And for dinner - Artichoke with whole wheat biscuits from scratch with tofu fry.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they washed the cocoa bean they used to make my chocolate.