Alternative to JM's Body Revolution

Options
I've been working on Jillian Michael's Body Revolution workout since early June, and I'm really ready to try something else that's not Jillian. I enjoyed BR and the results, especially after I subbed out her cardio days for running. But after spending far longer than 90 days on it due to repeating several weeks, I'm ready for a change.

What other alternatives are out there to BR that are similar in style (lots of upper body weight work, core work, etc.) and only about 30 minutes and aren't another JM workout? Would it work well in supplement to two or three days a week of running for my cardio?

One thing I did notice was that my running ability really decreased during the last weeks of BR, I'm assuming due to muscle fatigue from the amount of jumping and things like one leg jumping squats. I had a two-day rest from it last week and ran a personal best on Sunday, which really makes me think this is the case.

Any recommendations for another DVD program would be appreciated!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, pre-fab programs weren't designed with the idea in mind that you're going to be stacking them with additional forms of exercise. And unless you're an elite athlete, doing so will usually hinder performance in both workouts. The only exception I can think of is Rushfit, a circuit training based DVD workout system that has you doing 3-4 days a week of circuit training workouts (all found on the DVDs), and 2-3 days a week of whatever cardio you choose to combine it with.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    BeFit in 90. Either the YouTube version or DVD. These use weights and bodyweight. It's a 90 day program but I suggest making it a 6 week program.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFitin90
    http://www.amazon.com/BeFit-In-90-Workout-System/dp/B00DUGC2OS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415187332&sr=8-1&keywords=befit+in+90
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Not a DVD but fitnessblender.com has a ton of workouts! You can search, upper body, etc or I search by time, if I only have 20 mins or so it gives me several options that fit my time frame.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I used and really enjoyed RushFit. It's a warmup (a bit long and always the same so it gets repetitive), then 5x5minutes rounds and a short cooldown. You can follow a beginner, intermediate or advanced schedule.

What I liked about it is that it includes cardio days where you choose whatever form of cardio you prefer. Also the workouts are always about 45 minutes. It's an 8 weeks program.

I went through half of it before hurting myself because I wanted to add weights and add too much too soon (I only have two sets at home so my choice was limited!). So I stopped and these days I'm focusing more on cardio.

I find that for my own results, I need cardio sessions more than twice per week so if I were to start the program again, I'd tweak the schedule a bit, but I did work hard and gained muscles on it.

I'd still recommend it for the variety, length and effectiveness.

• JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations!

I'll give them all a look, and certainly Rushfit as it's had a couple of mentions. The BeFit in 90 looks interesting as well, and the DVD price is very acceptable.