The Scale Gods

Options
I posted this today on my blog (that I recently decided to use to record my weight loss journey) but I thought I'd post here to reach more people. Hope it helps someone.

----

For the past month I've been weighing myself daily. I literally wake up, pee, weigh. It's become a sort of ritual. Occasionally my husband will groggily ask from bed, before I'm even off the scale, "What's the number today?" because he knows if it's good he's going to hear me squeal with excitement and he'll be awake anyways.

But the scale does not control me.

If my weight has gone down, of course I'm going to be excited. It means the hard work is paying off. If my weight has gone up a pound or two, it could mean a number of things: I ate too much the day before, I'm retaining water, or the scale gods are just being mean today.

The later is my number one contender mainly because I think the Greek Goddess Aphrodite controls the scale. Follow me on this for a moment: first, she's the goddess of beauty; and most of us in this modern era correlate weight with beauty, right? Second, she's a spiteful b*tch (she was so jealous of Psyche's beauty she commanded Eros, aka Cupid, to make her fall in love with the most hideous of men). So if Aphrodite controls beauty and Aphrodite is a jealous b*tch, it's reasonable to assume she's going to mess with your head when you're trying to lose weight, i.e. mess with the scale. She doesn't want us mere mortals to be able to compete with her.

That's why when the scale says my weight has gone up I sigh and let it go. That's all I can do because guess what? I am a Goddess even if the one controlling the scale doesn't want me to think so.

For those of you struggling with that digital number, my question to you is, why? What evil demon is presiding inside you that makes that number matter? Is it because you don't like what you see when you look in the mirror? Is it because you don't like what your friends, your family, or your coworkers see? Is it because your weight is affecting your daily life? Your health?

Are you doing something about it? If the answer to this question is yes, then be like Taylor Swift and Shake it Off! You're making progress, regardless of what the scale says. If the answer is no, make a plan and do it. You owe your inner god/goddess that much.

Side note: Writing this has helped me get through a crappy day at work :)

Shout out: MFP buddies aem91409 and MissCassieHughes - thanks for cheering me up and checking on me when I was feeling down.

Until next time - Chandler

----

Follow my journey @ http://eventheordinarycanbebeautiful.blogspot.com/