White stretch marks..

Options
khall86790
khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
So back in the day when I gained "all the weight" I developed stretch marks pretty quickly on my hips and one huge one (weep) going from my belly button down the length of my stomach.
Over time, it faded to a white stretch mark and to be honest I left them alone as I already felt fat so I just chose to not pay attention to them.
Now I've hit my goals and I am building up, I'm noticing them more. I know you can't see them from any of my pictures but that's because they only really show in person as they are maybe 1-2 shades lighter than my skin.
What I am wondering is what will make these pesky white stretch marks go away? Am I stuck with them forever? The skin is totally smooth around the area as they aren't as severe as stretch marks from pregnancy but they are just very obviously white. One day I'd like to be able to work out in a crop top or wear a bikini without being conscious of them.

Anyone got any tips? Or experience with toning and definition improving the look of them?

Replies

• LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    They will never go away (scars after all). You can make them less visible by tanning.
  • GJRicketts
    GJRicketts Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Look for Bio Oil. It won't get rid of them but it apparently really reduces the appearance of them. Google it and check out the testimonies of those who've used it. If you're UK based, I know that Tesco have it in stock, otherwise Amazon will do the business for you.
  • khall86790
    Options
    Look for Bio Oil. It won't get rid of them but it apparently really reduces the appearance of them. Google it and check out the testimonies of those who've used it. If you're UK based, I know that Tesco have it in stock, otherwise Amazon will do the business for you.

I've heard good things about Bio Oil but I was under the impression it worked best for red scars, whereas I thought with the white scars that was more like permanent scaring?

But then I have seen people who's before pictures they had quite visible stretch marks (from pregnancy, so a lot more severe) and with serious toning to their abs you can't really see them in their after pictures.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing a post where someone got good results with a derma roller. You might want to search the forums.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    in because of stretch marks on shoulders and arms.
  • khall86790
    Options
    To be honest I'm not really looking for any magical creams that apparently work because we all know 9 times out of 10 they don't.
    I'm more interested to know if removing layers of fat to reveal muscle and/or building muscle and being more defined would improve the appearance and if anyone has any experience with that?
  • AbdicoVeritas
    Options
    I remember seeing a post where someone got good results with a derma roller. You might want to search the forums.
    I've also heard plenty people say this works. Might be worth checking it out.
    Either that or you wear your battle-scars with pride like the warrior you are.
  • khall86790
    Options

Thanks! Was just hunting for it but couldn't find it :flowerforyou:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    The after photo was taken just after the treatment, so the skin is still red. Later down in the thread the OP posts a picture after a few days, when the redness has faded a bit.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    They will never go away (scars after all)...

It sucks, but the above statement is accurate. They will fade, but never go away completely. I have never heard of anyone losing their stretch marks. Even the product marketers state that their products will only "reduce the appearance" of the marks. None of them erase the marks. I'm told some people have had good luck with a product called Photoshop...:wink:
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    They are "scars," damaged skin that was torn when overstretched. On the tanning...usually tanning makes scars worse, because the scars will not tan, so it'll make them much MORE noticeable. I'd recommend Olay Advanced Healing Lotion. Olay was originally formulated for burns (damaged skin), so over time, it make help new areas to crowd out the damaged ones.
  • khall86790
    Options
    They will never go away (scars after all)...

It sucks, but the above statement is accurate. They will fade, but never go away completely. I have never heard of anyone losing their stretch marks. Even the product marketers state that their products will only "reduce the appearance" of the marks. None of them erase the marks. I'm told some people have had good luck with a product called Photoshop...:wink:

God damn Photoshop...
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I asked my doctor a few questions regarding stretch marks...

Q: Are there any creams you'd recommend for stretch marks?
    A: No. None have been proven effective.

Okay...

Q: With exercise and healthy eating is there a chance my stretch marks will fade away?
    A: No. Time may decrease the redness but the white is there forever.

Great...

Me: Bummer, I wish there was something I could do. Oh well.
    Him: There are many medical research studies going on regarding important health issues. But...maybe, someday.

Such a great bedside manner. Unfortunately, I'm permanently tan/brown so the white sticks out more than anything. Ugh.
  • fly_butterfly
    fly_butterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    They will never go away (scars after all). You can make them less visible by tanning.

Please do not follow this advice. Tanning is not the answer.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You are likely self conscious about the stretch marks and they may not be that noticeable to others even though they are very noticeable to you. I looked at your pictures and I couldn't see any evidence of stretch marks and I doubt that they are photo shopped --- lol.

That being said, although you will often see advertisements for so called miracle products, it appears that the only method that is currently known to significantly reduce or eliminate older "white" stretch marks is laser treatment. Anything else and you are likely wasting your money. From internet searches it appears that Lux laser treatment has shown to have the best results and it is FDA approved here in North America. Google it to do some research on your own and learn more. The drawback is that it is very expensive (about $500 to $1,000 per treatment with a minimum of three treatments being recommended in most cases).

You are very young so laser treatment for the "white" stretch marks might be something you might want to look into at some point in the future, if your finances permit and you feel that the expenditure is worth your while. If you do, I would recommend that you first make sure that you have your weight stabilized and under control because any future large fluctuations could result in more stretch marks. Also if you plan any children in your future I would wait until you have had your family. Stretch marks are not an inevitable result of pregnancy but they do frequently occur, although if you manage your weight gain during pregnancy you may not get any, and if you take prompt remedial action it MIGHT be possible to reduce or eliminate any new (red) stretch marks with treatments (products) other than laser treatment. I don't know what is the best "proven" reliable treatment for red stretch marks.

ETA: I don't have any "first hand" knowledge of any of the above but if it really bothers you, you might want to research laser treatment.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've also heard plenty people say this works. Might be worth checking it out.
    Either that or you wear your battle-scars with pride like the warrior you are.

Just looked at this. Don't know how well it works but at least they are cheap so certainly might be worth a try if you can handle the thought of needle pricking your skin. Seem to be quite a few good customer reviews on Amazon.

For me, the only ones I ever had were some horizontal ones running across my lower back, although they are real doozies. I have likely had them for at least 40 years and they are still there (just checked) so they definitely don't go away on their own. The advantage was I never had to see them unless I used two mirrors. :laugh:

I am now long past the age where I am worried about a few battle scars. :tongue:

The following is what WebMD has to say about possible remedies for stretch marks:

http://www.webmd.com/baby/features/stretch-marks-getting-under-your-skin

On page 2 they mention fractionated lasers (which is what the Lux laser I mentioned in the previous post is) as a treatment for "white" stretch marks. Again, as I said, a very expensive option.