Personal Experimentation with Ketogenic Diet

Options
RockstarWilson
RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
edited November 2014 in Motivation and Support
Hi fellow MFP-ers,

I am designing an n=1 experiment on myself over the next 4 weeks starting this Friday, November 7. I am on a ketogenic diet, which is one consisting of about 70-80% fat (from mostly saturated sources), 25-15% protein, and no more than 10% carbs. This experiment will be one that tracks my progress (or regress) in many areas, and will allow me to draw any conclusions about the diet and how it affects myself. Data to be gathered will be calories, ketone levels, glucose levels, weight, sleep time, and others which haven't completely been defined yet. There will be some controls, such as meal times, quantities, and proportions. This will be an unbiased study, and all data will be truthfully recorded to the best of my knowledge.

I would also like to point out that my major in college (which I am currently attending) is Secondary Education with a specialization in Earth and Space Sciences. I take the scientific method very seriously and I will to the best of my ability, adhere to it.

I am doing this for myself, so I don't mind if I do not have an audience other than the friends I have, but if anyone is interested not only in learning about what the ketogenic diet is, but how it affects me, how the scientific method works, how personal experimentation works, to get ideas and information for you to decide on your next step, or even for entertainment/motivational purposes, please befriend me and follow my blog. I will make all data available on a weekly basis via G sheets, and I will be recording physical and physiological changes that cannot be quantified into the sheet.

Science is about learning, and if you can observe an experiment in action, you can learn something. I am a novice in this field, and this experiment will be the most extensive and formal I have ever personally conducted. It may not be perfect, but I will do my best.

Have a great day/night, and thank you if you are interested!

Josh

Replies

• mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I look forward to see the results
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yup, hope to know your result! I am interested! o:)
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You might find 10% carbs a bit high for Keto, especially initially (first few weeks). Most people try to aim for around 20g a day (about 5%). I've been Keto for 6 months and lost 60lbs, my macros are 1700 cals, 5% carbs, 70% fat and 25% protein.

You also might find a month isn't enough. It takes a couple of weeks to get over the initial carb withdrawal (which includes lethargy, headaches etc, aka carb "flu"). After this point is when you will start to feel the benefits.
  • RockstarWilson
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Shai, I guess I should mention that I am already keto-adapted, and never really went through a hard induction phase (as in, I adjusted quickly). My proportions will be 75%F/20%P/5%C for the purpose of this experiment.

Also, I will not be posting my results and conclusions to the forums. I will be publishing them in documents that can be viewed through a link that I will provide from google docs. This link will be accessed through my blog, and possibly my status. It will be easiest to follow my progression if you befriend me and follow my blog. Gees, that sounds a bit egocentric...but it is solely for observational purposes.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    bump
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Although I think that your study of n=1 is a great idea for you, I don't think you could call it an unbiased study as you are the investigator, observer, and subject.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I am basically doing the same now. I dont really "need" a keto eating style but I decided to try it. I gradually cut back on carbs until I reached my current level of 20 g a day. (net carbs). I did not experience the "keto flu" and have experienced noticeable benefits including the higher than "normal" fatty foods that keto requires. My energy is great and sleeping more soundly.
  • lamikyky
    Options
    I have been struggling to be in ketosis for more than a day or two. I have been eating per keto diet but to no avail. I had hypoglycemia and that was the closest I got. I belong to a FB site and get support that way. I am on chinese herbal supplements and wonder if they might be causing me to stall on getting ketogenic. I look forward to hearing from others.
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Took me a week to get in to ketosis, longer to be fully in.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Don't know if I'm ketogenic (probably not at 50% F, 35% P, 15% C), but do believe in lower carb eating. Over the past 11 months, lower carbs have helped me lose close to 60 lbs, and cut 70 minutes from my marathon time (4:56 to 3:46).

Here's a doctor that has done similar experiments with ketogenic dieting:

http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    [quote="lamikyky;30256557"]I have been struggling to be in ketosis for more than a day or two. I have been eating per keto diet but to no avail. I had hypoglycemia and that was the closest I got. I belong to a FB site and get support that way. I am on chinese herbal supplements and wonder if they might be causing me to stall on getting ketogenic. I look forward to hearing from others.[/quote]

give it a couple of weeks. Nothing in the diet/weight loss/nutrition world happens in a "day or two"
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    dayone987 wrote: »
    Although I think that your study of n=1 is a great idea for you, I don't think you could call it an unbiased study as you are the investigator, observer, and subject.

Not if my study is open to the public, which it will be. Yeah, you can't be watching my every move, so you will have to trust my honesty, but my views on the data are my interpretation of it. The data will be presented objectively; whatever the data is, I will record it, even if it does not comply with my hypotheses. But, as with any other truly scientific study in the world, the data will be interpreted differently by every individual. For instance, right now, there are about 4 main theories on how the moon formed, all based on the same data. What I mean by unbiased is that I am not going to sway the data because I enjoy a ketogenic diet. The results will be the results. Each day will be reflected, and then the days that need to be excluded from the results for scientific reason will be examined in the end.