Cardio at gym what your routines?

I'm new to gym and curious what everyone's else is doing on the bike , cross trainer & treadmill ..

How long are u on the machines?
What's your speed ?
What's the distance covered?
I want to loose 15lbs
Just wondering
What I should b doing ....

Replies

• HIIT cycling: 25 mins - 5 mins warm up at lvl 5 resistance (max is 12 at my gym). 8 sets - 1 min on with max resistance and effort then 1 min off at lvl 4. 5 mins cool down at lvl 4 after completing those sets.

I rarely hit the bike now as I much prefer to play sports (volleyball or basketball) for cardio.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    15 minute warm up on the stair master before every lift session. Level 8 or higher.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    20 mins on elliptical .. increasing resistance regularly (up to 16 out of 25) at between 6 - 9 miles an hour. Using it as a warm-up before weights / crunches / squats / lunges

Stepper with HIIT in 30 sec spurts for about 8 mins at about 3 - 5 m an hour .. high intensity as close to 10 as I can get it (who am I kidding, it kills me and I manage about 5 before dying then have to come back later for the next 3 .. one day I'll hit 10 consecutive minutes .. but I hate that machine .. hate it .. hate it)

... sometimes 10 mins fast walking (6 miles an hour) at an incline on a treadmill (I don't run) as a cool down before stretching and going home (unless I walked to gym then I miss that out)

my gym sessions tend to be about 75 minutes .. and at least once a week with a PT who pushes me hard

(I am wondering if it's miles per hour or km though
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    I use cardio to supplement my crossfit workouts. So sometimes I row at a moderate pace for 30min or go jog. I am recently starting a C25k program. I also cycle in which case I go at a moderate pace for about 20mi.
  • AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    It can be hard when you are new at the gym. My general rule is to spend at least 45 minutes of cardio every time I go. When you start out, remember safety first! If you hurt yourself, you can't keep working out.
  • whitewolf1200
    whitewolf1200 Posts: 31 Member
    Since you're new to the gym(like me) do my workout because its not too bad and its been working for me.

I go typically 4-5 times a week (my friend forces me to go) and I usually do
    -30 min elliptical/some other elliptical machine (10 incline and 10 resistance)
    and then after I hop on either
    a) the treadmill for 10 min and do sprint intervals (30 sec walk, 1 min run) 3.5-->7.5
    or
    b) go on a bike machine and get it to resistance 8.

I also do weights like 2 times a week. One day is for arms and the other is for legs/butt.
  • kareneastwood865
    kareneastwood865 Posts: 132 Member
    I take a 45 minute Boot Camp class 3x week. I ride the bike at Planet Fitness 40-45 minutes at Level 9 16.5 mph 2x week.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    HIIT cardio via "fat burn" program on the treadmill on Level 17....jacked up the intensity and run for about 40 minutes to an hour. When I'm not running outside in nature (my preference) I go hard on the treadmill. I find it incredibly boring but it's a great calorie burn and I feel better for it. In addition, I do a circuit training/step/free weights/sculpting class twice a week, and on other days I do an hour of a Jillian Michaels workout, usually Body Revolution.
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    ... sometimes 10 mins fast walking (6 miles an hour) at an incline on a treadmill (I don't run) as a cool down before stretching and going home (unless I walked to gym then I miss that out)

(I am wondering if it's miles per hour or km though
    It's got to be kmh. For most people 6mph is jogging and if you're using it to cool down then I really doubt it's mph. I walk very fast indeed and my normal road pace is a fraction over 4.5mph.

Last weekend I hit a treadmill for the first time ever and wound the speed up until I was pretty much flat out. I was doing 5mph on a 2% incline but after 45 minutes of that, I was dripping sweat.

I did that six times over the weekend and although it was great exercise, I was bored stupid.
  • TrolleyRide
    TrolleyRide Posts: 64 Member
    aaliyahali wrote: »
    I'm new to gym and curious what everyone's else is doing on the bike , cross trainer & treadmill ..

How long are u on the machines?
    What's your speed ?
    What's the distance covered?
    I want to loose 15lbs
    Just wondering
    What I should b doing ....

I do 20 minutes of rowing machine after my lift sessions. Pretty good finisher for me.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    I have a new found love for running, so I only get on the treadmill and run when I go to the gym. I use my apartment gym, which is a great gym fully equipped with every weight machine. I personally do not like the machines to lift, so I do my lifting at home with dumbbells.

I do 30 -45 minutes at 5.0 to 5.5 mph. About 3-4 miles I am new at running/jogging and that is where I am at right now.

It really doesn't matter cause to lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit. Exercise is for health and fitness. Do any workout that you will enjoy and keeps you moving.