I had my metabolism tested today

Options
13»

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Don't stress so much about the end goal weight. Almost nobody ends up at the exact goal weight they set in the beginning, and you can tell the people who end up fixated on a single number because they sound INSANE. ("Omg, I was 120 pounds two days ago and then I ate a bagel and today I weighed 121.1 pounds! Help! I'm cutting out everything except skinless chicken breast and spinach until the scale says exactly 120 pounds every single day!!") You don't want to be that girl. Nobody should have to be that girl. Just keep your head down, do your work and see how you look and feel as you're losing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The reasoning behind why he said 83kg is fine is because my waist is small. Currently I am obese but my waist is actually within a reasonably health range.

My insurance company has a similar analysis, in that they seem to check as a risk factor either being obese OR being overweight plus having too large a waist measurement.

Similarly, like I said above, my own doctor said it was no big thing for me to be 5 lbs overweight according to BMI (although I wanted to lose more weight, so I did), because I was fit, had good test results, etc.

What neither does/did, and what I think is strange about what you said your doctor said, is that being at a healthy means that you won't be able to lose more if you want to or that you would need a really low calorie diet to do so. That doesn't make sense.

Given your RMR, you should be able to keep losing at a nice sustainable level of calories, so I'd say not to worry too much about it and if you want to lose more you can. If you don't really want to, that's another matter, there's no obligation to--be happy as you are! But I find the doctor's defeatism kind of odd.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Eh I'd get another doctor if he thinks you shouldn't be under 83 kilos at your height, unless you have a lot of muscles or something. Your RMR is high, you won't have any issue losing more weight.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    doctor or not, someone else placing limits on what you can do with your body is complete and utter *kitten*. Pardon my french.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :)