Shift worker

Options
I'm sure this has been asked many times, as I'm sure it's quite common for many people.

When you work night shift, do people use there daily calories up to midnight and then start there new allowance day beyond midnight? Or do you spread you're calories out until you go to sleep the following morning and start afresh on waking?

Replies

• nursing_hopeful
    Options
    Could anyone advise? I'm on shift tonight and am not sure what to do.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It honestly doesn't matter, since there's no magic reset at the midnight hour like on Cinderella.

If I were you I'd time it with your sleep schedule. In other words, count "breakfast" as the first meal after you wake up, whatever time that is. "Lunch" a few hours later. And "dinner" as the last meal you eat before you sleep.

I've also seen people rename their meals to timeslots, so, say, 2-6pm, 6-10pm, 10pm-2am, etc.

Whatever works for you.

ETA: The MFP website will reset at midnight so your food diary automatically loads on "today" -- if that bothers you, just change your time zone.
  • oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    On days i work i pre log my meals even if some are eaten after midnight the go as one day
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Anything I eat after midnight is calories for a new day, though I can see the rationale of logging things as if you were working a normal day shift...just that my breakfast would be at 6 pm and dinner would be 6 am. I just find it easier to count by starting a new day when MFP starts a new day.
  • type2sweety
    type2sweety Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im on shift work as well. I work 7-7's and go from 2 days to 2 nights. its really hard. I log in from the time I wake to the time I hit the pillow. its my day, regardless on the time. my switchovers are high, and my last days off are low calorie days, lol.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Any system will work. Find something that works and be consistent.
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I work 6PM to 2AM every day. Personally, I follow the calorie tracker on MFP. At midnight, my calories for the day reset. I usually eat something before bed and I log that as my breakfast.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    My schedule varies from somewhat "normal" 9-6, to 12-9pm, on a daily and weekly basis. I HAVE no regular schedule. But I do what other have suggested, try to eat my meals based on when I get up to when I sleep. I eat a breakfast, lunch and dinner, and try for 2 snacks, usually a small cup of yogurt. For me its more important to eat to sustain my energy and recover fast for the next workday, I could have a shift end at 9 and have to turn around and be back at work at 8 am. Rest is key, feeding to sustain is key, WHEN I eat doesn't matter so much. I look to keep a deficit over a week, not a day. If a day gets overlong, that can bop calories into the next day, etc.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I find it simpler to log for the 24hours and just count my calories as if I was a normal day shifter. I tried doing it according to my sleep schedule...but sometimes I work 16 hour shifts and sleep only 5 hours - so it got too tricky.
  • Stephinoz
    Stephinoz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried it both ways but since I switch days to nights so often it got confusing. I found it was easier to log starting from midnight. I laugh when I log my breakfast as tuna salad or soup! Either way, it may take a little experimentation from you to decide what works best. Good luck and feel free to add me.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I work nights 9pm-6am. I start and end my day at 630am because I get home and go to sleep. Thats what has always worked for me. It seems easier to spread my calories across the day.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Also, i only sleep about 3 hours 5 days a week so it seems like one continuous day.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I do midnight to midnight. Whatever you choose to do, consistency is the best thing.