Digital body weight scales that continuously update (like a kitchen or dial/analog scale)?

Options
I am shopping for a new scale, the old one broke and it had this really annoying "fake accuracy". If I got on and off the scale 10 times, it always weighed EXACTLy the same,even if I say put on a tshirt. So we used to tap it, keep our foot on it till it showed that low like 25 lbs, then get back on it to "update" our weight. I understand they do this out of pressure to appear more accurate, since people are impressed when they get on/off a scale a bunch of times and it weighs exactly the same.

It made me think - the reason an analog scale is nice is as you bounce on it, you can see it going up and down. Same with a kitchen scale - I can pour UNTIL it reaches the weight I'm looking for, watching the weight go up the entire time.

My question is - are there ANY body weight scales on there that just display the CURRENT weight on the scale, such that if someone handed you something while you were on it it would update? I don't understand if kitchen scales can do this why digital body weight scales all act like - thinking, thinking, and we're DONE. No! Just keep showing me what you've got!

Anyhow if anyone knows of any product that acts like this, I would be very very interested! I would be ok with that even if i had to hit a button to zero it, and it didn't have body fat nonsense, and it didn't send to the internet, etc etc - just something that shows me that it's continuously weighing to ensure there isn't crappy software faking accuracy. Even when I'm doing something like weighing my dog, it's kind of silly I can't - stand on the scale, have someone hand me my dog. I have to get on the scale, remember the number, get off the scale, let it reset, pick up dog, get on the scale.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    all the digital bathroom scales I know of measure for a period of a few seconds then average that and display the average. I'm not aware of any scales that save the previous measurement and just keep showing you the same number no matter how many times you weigh yourself.

That said, the bathroom scale is going to have a measurement increment of about 0.5 lbs. So, if someone gets on the scale naked, then weighs again with a t-shirt on as you stated, it is still pretty likely to show the same number because I doubt a t-shirt weighs a pound. Test out your theory using something that weighs more than a t-shirt.
  • enzamatic
    enzamatic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh - some of them are doing it subtly - ours was not subtle. It seemed like you had to go out of like a 2 lb range to get it to "update". We could demonstrate it regularly like this. Get on/off 5 times, exactly same. Tap with foot, weigh something small. Get back on, weight changes but just a little. Weight was within what you would expect, a .4ish range. But it obviously NEVER changed UNLESS you weigh something different in between. Normally I wouldn't expect weighing something different in between to affect a scale's results, right?

Read the comments on this scale and you'll see what I mean, it seems to have a similar "issue". - http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=308E7DQYDUISH&K=A1VOLMS97N2ZBZ&R=G703OTFBFIY9&T=C&U=http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Watchers-Conair-Digital-Painted/dp/B003LKKI6M?ref_=pe_623860_70668520&A=GBMFVJIMXXHRNLWPQMCNFFYFI1OA&H=T9YALJVBA8ITFUPMD5NMAZO8UEIA
  • enzamatic
    Options
    But really - does anyone know why they need to only do the weight calculation once? Kitchen scales continually update, so it's definitely doable.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Because people don't continuously update and you can't pour a certain quantity of someone

Seriously now, what on earth would be the point?
  • enzamatic
    Options
    I would add - my scale, and the one referenced above, definitely do NOT describe this behavior in documentation. If they would do that, maybe it would have some kind of a feature name I could look for and make sure I don't get in my next purchase. Instead it's part of their algorithm, in addition to the averaging of several weights. It MAY also be because they have low resolution/less precision coming from their actual mechanism and have to make up a number between, say, 150.0 and 152.0 because they really don't have that high of a resolution. Since they aren't really reading that accurate, they go with the last reading unless they get a new reading that's definitely NOT between their two options.

I'm not the only one to have noticed this - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/617118

My question is about 1)getting a scale that doesn't do this, and 2)are there any scales in there that just show you constant current weight?
  • enzamatic
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I get that (what would be the point) - I just am 1)only now buying a scale and prefer one that's not just masking the raw data for me, one that I can really see what the precision is and 2)curious why rather than dealing with customers complaining if the scale weight changes by just showing them their weight - they don't just update the display while you're on it. Then if they jump up/down they can see it change, so they don't keep questioning whether the scale's messed up when it changes on stepping on/off.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean... My scale sometimes does that. Like if the new weight is not enough different it may not register a change. With sharing a scale w/ Hubby it is not a problem these days. But if I don't 'trust' that the # has updated, I'll get on again holding a bottle of shampoo in one hand, mouthwash in the other. Then again empty handed.

As to your question the only thing that comes to mind is the old fashioned scales in doctors' offices, where you slide the bars to balance the weight.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    enzamatic wrote: »
    I get that (what would be the point) - I just am 1)only now buying a scale and prefer one that's not just masking the raw data for me, one that I can really see what the precision is and 2)curious why rather than dealing with customers complaining if the scale weight changes by just showing them their weight - they don't just update the display while you're on it. Then if they jump up/down they can see it change, so they don't keep questioning whether the scale's messed up when it changes on stepping on/off.

you won't find a digital scale that outputs "raw" data. The number would change too fast. Even your kitchen scale uses a moving average or delayed polling to smooth things out some. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to read the display.

Just get a good scale, like a tanita, that zeroes every time it takes a measurement. That will give you more accuracy so you can maybe weigh a t-shirt! :-p

If you want one that changes, just save time and buy an analog spring scale.
  • enzamatic
    Options
    :P about the t-shirt lol. I realize this is all silly obsession - just trying to understand how kitchen and bathroom scales differ. What you just said - about one that zeroes every time & doesn't try to remember previous readings? Is what I'm at least hoping for. So the Tanita one is like that?
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    most of the higher end ones do. What you are looking for is one that you hit a button, it tells you to wait a sec, then tells you to step on. The "wait a sec" is the scale zeroing out before you step on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I've got a Salter which zeroes every time...I still have to step on a number of times before I get 3 readings the same then take that one
  • radimage
    Options
    You can set the Withings scale to 'force to zero'. I love mine. It seems very accurate.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My scale does exactly the same thing and it drives me nuts! I live in Tucson, AZ, so when I run it's usually warm and dry. I lose a lot of water on a run so I always weigh myself when I first wake up and then again after my morning run so I know how much water I need to replace. Unless I do the little "dance" of getting on and off the scale as you described it'll show I weigh the same even though I've lost more than a pound of water and weighing something small and then weighing myself again proves it.

I'm not so concerned about a scale that dynamically shows the current weight but I would love to know if anyone has found a scale that doesn't do the fake "accuracy" thing from weigh in to weigh in.

ETA: Mine does zero out every time you use it (there's a waiting period before it'll calculate your weight) and it weighs in .2 increments.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Because people don't continuously update and you can't pour a certain quantity of someone

Seriously now, what on earth would be the point?

The point was explained by the OP. She wants a scale that behaves like an analog scale only with a digital readout. That isn't a crazy request. She uses an example of weighing her dog that clearly explains one reason such a thing might be useful.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I just replaced my FitBit Aria, which behaved rather like you describe, with a Withings WS-50 Smart Body Analyzer. I haven't tested it extensively for this kind of behavior but the day I was setting it up, getting it connected to Wifi, etc. I was on and off it 5 or 6 times. It does not appear to "remember" your last weight like the Fitbit scale did/does. It gave me slightly different readings every time. Not drastically different, generally a couple of 10ths one way or the other, but enough so that I know it's actually re-weighing me and not just regurgitating the previous weigh-in.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    My aria scale shows me different weights with multiple measurements. Usually takes me 3-5 measurements before I get the same number twice.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    My aria scale shows me different weights with multiple measurements. Usually takes me 3-5 measurements before I get the same number twice.
    Not to hijack the thread, but interesting. I could weigh myself, get dressed, weigh myself again and get the exact same number with the Aria. Maybe they changed that with a different firmware version? Mine is several years old.

• janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I have a scale like yours, it can be annoying. Mine is a weight watcher scale.It also weighs in the .2 increments. I have had this one about 8 years. I would like to try one that measures body fat too. Are they very accurate?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have a scale like yours, it can be annoying. Mine is a weight watcher scale.It also weighs in the .2 increments. I have had this one about 8 years. I would like to try one that measures body fat too. Are they very accurate?
    My understanding is that most of them aren't that accurate. I know the Escali scale I have is not. At least I don't think my body fat percentage shouldn't change on an hour by hour basis.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how much body fat I have , when yours changes does it change alot? I do agree it should not change hourly.