Grey, Grim, Rainy UK

Options
HDKay
HDKay Posts: 34 Member
:yawn:

I'm going to do the stereotype brit and complain about the weather! We had two whole days of lovely sun and got out and about on some big long canal and countryside walks and now we're back to cold and rain, I need some summertime motivation!

I have my gym membership and am still pushing my 1:30 hours a night but has anyone got any tips on motivation that won't lead me to the pub??

Replies

• liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We get two days of nice weather then we have to pay for it for having weeks of more rain, lol. This weather is depressing! As for the motivation, put the drinks you would have on your diary and see if the calories put you off!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I'm looking out of my office window now with despair. I had two lovely days at Birmingham Pride in the sunshine, drinking and eating, and when I got up this morning I was totally ready to hit the gym tonight, but now, meh.

It's a difficult one, and I wouldn't say I'm particularly 'motivated' so much as 'disciplined' - as I'll force myself to walk to the gym after work, literally, come rain or snow. I just, do. My reward is how I feel when I'm finally finished. It's really hard to mentally 'want' to go when the weather is like this, but I just think of myself as having no other option, and weigh up how guilty I'll feel for indulging, versus how good I'll feel for going to the gym/not going to the pub.

I feel your pain.
  • mcibty
    Options
    Put the drinks you would have on your diary and see if the calories put you off!

This works really well. I often pre-log something I'm planning for dinner, or if I fancy a couple of drinks, and it can really put it into perspective. Good tip.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I agree the weather here has been wet and wild the last few days (Sat & Sun was good though). I'm trying to get myself motivated so don't really have any advice! Good luck
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, outdoor running and some nice walks for two days, now it may as well be winter again it's so cold and miserable.

At least it looks like its gonna warm up here in the NW.
  • HDKay
    Options
    : I do keep logging my drinks and deciding better of it, massive pain in the *kitten* at the min is that my gym has a bar, and gave me £10 vouchers when I joined ......:drinker: after the gym is tempting!!!
    I'd love to walk the gym and back and will when some nights but I have to get a sitter in to go and it's a 30 min walk just to get to the gym which is rather sucky!!

I heard that housework burns calories but my motivation to do that is somewhat under that of the gym :noway:
  • HDKay
    Options
    I know what you mean, outdoor running and some nice walks for two days, now it may as well be winter again it's so cold and miserable.

At least it looks like its gonna warm up here in the NW.

Exactly that!!! I got all giddy that summer was here and yesterday just turned me into a giant sulky cowbags!! I wanted a half term of big walks and teddy bear picnics!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    think quality not quantity with your workout... an hour is plenty of time to get a good workout it!
  • mcibty
    Options
    As if by magic, my other half just text me and arranged a cinema date for 5:30 lol, I guess that's the gym out the window, as suspected! As long as I don't go over my calories for today, I'm not going to feel too dreadful about it.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    : I do keep logging my drinks and deciding better of it, massive pain in the *kitten* at the min is that my gym has a bar, and gave me £10 vouchers when I joined ......:drinker: after the gym is tempting!!!
    I'd love to walk the gym and back and will when some nights but I have to get a sitter in to go and it's a 30 min walk just to get to the gym which is rather sucky!!

I heard that housework burns calories but my motivation to do that is somewhat under that of the gym :noway:

A gym having a bar sounds totally counter productive to me... a cafe/restaurant makes sense but a bar?
  • HDKay
    Options
    think quality not quantity with your workout... an hour is plenty of time to get a good workout it!

30 mins rowing machine, 30 mins full and fast swim and then making use of steam room & jacuzzi :wink:
  • westhamrangers
    Options
    Rubbish where I am too. I also think I MAY be suffering from over training.
  • HDKay
    Options

A gym having a bar sounds totally counter productive to me... a cafe/restaurant makes sense but a bar?
    [/quote]

It's a gym attached to a hotel, my choices we're the local gym that's for weight training and full of the local bouncers, the gym attached to the high school that's full of spin classes and teens or the much more expensive calm and quiet one.... the spa attached sold it!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Oh im the NW so hope you are right and the weather improves.
  • HDKay
    Options
    Oh im the NW so hope you are right and the weather improves.

Snap and snap :happy:
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This weather is depressing me too :(
  • Schninie
    Schninie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Christmas soon in'all!! We might have an Indian summer - if we're lucky!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Juice bar maybe, high calorie alcohol not sucha good idea, I'm going to run tonight regardless been raining all day in SW though
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    By my reckoning 2 days this year means we had double the summer compared to last year! I'm sure I could run in the rain...again..but I really don't want to.
    It's amazing how the weather can really crush your enthusiasm.
  • kathgym
    kathgym Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The weather is killing me! It never seems to stop raining. And why is it still so COLD! Seriously!

Very hard to feel motivated in this weather! I've just gotten to the point that if I keep waiting for the weather to improve I am goin to get nowhere!