working out more and gainging weight!!

Options
I lost 5 lbs the first 5 weeks of working out/eating better.. now I've added a day at the gym and eating even better and I've gained the 5 lbs back in just one week! what am I doing wrong?!!!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Possible causes include:
    increased water retention from the increased exercise
    increased water retention around your TOM or ovulation
    increased water retention because of food changes, sodium, etc.
    increased waste in the system (ie. you need to poop)
    you're eating too much
    pregnancy

Did I get them all?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Possible causes include:
    increased water retention from the increased exercise
    increased water retention around your TOM or ovulation
    increased water retention because of food changes, sodium, etc.
    increased waste in the system (ie. you need to poop)
    you're eating too much
    pregnancy

Did I get them all?
    you did... and it's one of these.

I would've included "calm down" in the list.
  • morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree water retention! You probably just didn't drink enough water that week and the 5lbs are the consequences.
  • healthysmart
    healthysmart Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. A lot of time's you'll lose weight one week and maintain (or even gain the next). Another problem may be that if you are eating back the calories you burned during your working out, that you are overestimating the amounts.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Having a lack of patience is what you're doing wrong.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I start working out again after a break, my weight stays the same or goes up a little bit. From what I read, I believe it's water retention. Just keep doin what you're doin! ;)
  • A1Schendel
    Options
    give your body at least two weeks to adjust to the new lifestyle. Give yourself 30 days, don't weight yourself, eat meat, fish/seafood, veggies, and fruit, only whole foods, cut out grain, dairy, beans, and all processed sugars...you will drop in the first week. Don't count calories if your eating clean, just eat 3 meals a day, a pre workout protein meal banana w/almond butter, or nut butter of your choice, and a post workout carb meal- like sweet potato w/an apple and nuts, cut out caffeine and alcohol all for 30 days..you will be amazed!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A1Schendel wrote: »
    give your body at least two weeks to adjust to the new lifestyle. Give yourself 30 days, don't weight yourself, eat meat, fish/seafood, veggies, and fruit, only whole foods, cut out grain, dairy, beans, and all processed sugars...you will drop in the first week. Don't count calories if your eating clean, just eat 3 meals a day, a pre workout protein meal banana w/almond butter, or nut butter of your choice, and a post workout carb meal- like sweet potato w/an apple and nuts, cut out caffeine and alcohol all for 30 days..you will be amazed!

It's not that any of this is bad advice, but it's unnecessary. You can lose weight eating processed foods as long as you're tracking your intake just like you can gain weight eating whole foods while not tracking your intake.

If this is honestly how someone wants to eat then that's great. But for many it's overly restrictive and more likely to cause them to feel like they've failed and give up when they can't keep up with the unrealistic expectations that this kind of diet places on some people.

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

It's not that any of this is bad advice, but it's unnecessary. You can lose weight eating processed foods as long as you're tracking your intake just like you can gain weight eating whole foods while not tracking your intake.

If this is honestly how someone wants to eat then that's great. But for many it's overly restrictive and more likely to cause them to feel like they've failed and give up when they can't keep up with the unrealistic expectations that this kind of diet places on some people.

QFT
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Actually, I disagree. While I am certainly in the "be polite whenever possible" camp, "Don't count calories if your eating clean" is just plain bad advice, especially to a poster who doesn't understand the theory of calorie counting. You can most certainly gain weight while overeating "clean" foods and working out. I see the "I'm eating clean and working out and not losing/still gaining weight" complaint here every single day.

OP, what is "eating even better"? Are you counting calories? Are you eating less calories than you're burning? Are you weighing (encouraged) or at least measuring what you're eating and logging everything you eat? I see hundreds of overweight half marathon runners at every race I run. You can't outrun overeating. Working out and eating "well" doesn't guarantee weight loss. Eating less calories than you're burning on a continual basis does.
  • Christyhodson
    Christyhodson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. First thing, I'm not considered "overweight" by the BMI chart. but I am caring extra weight that what i'd like.. I've been 30 lbs lighter, some might think it's "too thin" but that is where I felt the best so that's what i'm aiming for. I'm tall so i have alot of places to carry it. With that being said I understand it's harder to lose when you don't necessarily have a lot to lose. I've been on this routine for 6 weeks now. I wasn't that concerned at first because I do know it takes a couple weeks for your body to adjust but it's been 6 weeks now so thought for sure i'd be seeing results. I'm not eating any fast food, counting all of my calories and usually well under my count.... I guess i'm just frustrated because this method HAS worked for me in the past but just isn't working this time around. At least not yet. I am a few years older though lol.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The 5 pounds you've gained back is more than likely water. Unless you think you might have overeaten by 15,000 calories in the last week? I, for one, highly doubt you did. My weight fluctuates by quite a bit from day to day and it's definitely water. As long as I am seeing a general downward trend, I don't worry about it.

How far is "well under" your calorie goal? Are you going for too large of a calorie deficit? What you're eating is of far less importance than how much you are eating.