Why am I gaining back every lb I lose?

Options
13»

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    no i mean i don't care what i eat. i wasnt picking on your vocab... you know what?

beats head against a brick wall.

that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I officially give up on MFP forums. Everyone wants a kiddie pool to play in where everyone can tell each other they are already doing everything right and don't need to do or try anything new or different. If someone says something other than an MFP-mod-approved line of vaguely positive uninformative text, they are bullies.

I'd wish you luck, but luck has nothing to do with fitness.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    a diet coach once said to me, if you are not losing fat you are simply eating too much, yea its that simple
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    lohkin wrote: »
    Thank you, Ninerbluff, for your helpful suggestion there might be something hormonal to investigate.

Ugh, WTG ninerbuff. For the record, hormonal issues can certainly affect weight loss but they won't completely stop it.

OP, you've only been doing MFP for 3 weeks and you said that every pound you lose you immediately gain back. The most likely scenario is that you're not actually losing any fat, but simply watching your weight naturally fluctuate with water retention. As other posters have mentioned, you probably should consider actually weighing foods and also exercising at a higher intensity level (especially intervals).
    Oh, I've not said that one CAN'T lose weight with a hormonal issue, just mentioning that it might be something that the OP may have that's not been identified. My DW had half her thyroid removed and now has to take synthroid daily. That didn't stop her from losing 30lbs in the last year.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    People are posting that video on every page of every post today.
    Waiting for yours now. :)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It's true that food scales beat measuring cups for accuracy but I lost weight just by measuring my food. But you definitely need to log your calories and, when in doubt, underestimate how much you're burning with exercise and overestimate treats that you're not sure about. That way, you err on the side of caution and there won't be any unpleasant surprises. Good luck!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    When you go on the scale, make sure you are wearing no jewellery, no clothes. That's right, nude. Make sure you have an empty bladder and stomach too. The first weight you see is not your accurate weight, the second weight usually is.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    How do you embed the video?
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You've been at it for 3.5 weeks. That's really not very long. Try an app called Happy Scale. Enter your weight every day. You'll see if you're really maintaining or if you might be losing slowly. The app flattens out daily variance in your weight so you can see true results. I had a 3 week plateau which was very discouraging, but am now losing again.

Also - were you gaining before, or maintaining? If you were gaining and now you're maintaining, that's great, and you should count it as a success. But yes, you'd need to create more of a deficit to actually lose. Specifically, if you're at maintenance, you need to burn (or not eat) an extra 250 cals/day to lose 0.5 lbs/week.

At your size, you really don't need much intake. It's going to be really important for you to eat lean protein, lots and lots and lots of vegetables, and keep your sugar, starch, and fat low. The challenge for you is that the difference between "starving yourself" and "gaining" is really not many calories at all.The actual number (1100 - 1200) sounds really low to most of us, but obviously your baseline will be lower than if you were average height. If that's really your intake, then reducing by 250 cals/day isn't a good idea.

Therefore, I have to agree that a bit more exercise would benefit you. To maintain a very low level of net calories and still get your nutrition, you may have to eat a bit more and then burn it with exercise. You don't have to kill it at the gym if your goal is simple fat loss rather than total body recomposition (despite the thread hijackers here). In fact, a hard workout may make you more hungry, where a gentle one can be done "in addition" to the low-calorie diet.

One thing I'm doing now that's very effective is standing up at work (desk job). I suspect I'm burning an extra 150-250 cals/day by standing instead of sitting for 6+ hours, and walking/pacing/marching in place while I'm on the phone. My husband has increased his exercise by taking public transit from the second-closest stop to our house instead of driving. That means his daily routine now includes an extra 30 minutes of walking. I also walk laps on the track when I take my kids to their sports practices. That's 60 minutes/week of walking instead of sitting on the bleachers dorking around on my phone. It all adds up.

If you KNOW you're eating less than before with the same level of exercise, then you're doing the right thing. Please don't give up, because we're here to help.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    How do you embed the video?

Must be something with the update. I just posted the link and it autoimbedded the video.
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    on a positive note you are probably going to wake up next week and be down five pounds. Sometimes it comes off in lump sums and it takes a while. I have had this happen, every little bit helps keep pushing and I promise you will see a change. Also take pictures and measurements and compare. Much blessing to you on your journey you do not walk this road alone.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    exercise doesn't make you lose weight, eating at a caloric deficit makes you lose weight.

Think youll find exercise burns calories which will contribute towards a weight loss. The calorific deficit doesnt have to come from eating, it just has to exist and could do so from exercise alone i.e eat at maintenance and exercise burning 500 calories a day.

it may help...but people still have to eat at a deficit. You can exercise but not have a deficit and gain weight.

You can eat at maintenance i.e no deficit, but if you are exercising, then that will create a deficit and you will lose weight.

exercising isn't the end all/be all to losing weight.

no, but it is the be all end all of being strong and having a body you love, which is what most people actually mean when they say they wanna lose weight.

important distinction.

I could diet my way down to 140 pounds without exercising at all.

I would look like death warmed over and I would hate myself and have no strength left.

This is not my goal.

Not everyone who says that all they want to do is lose weight, really means that all they want is the number on the scale. Many of them would do anything to look a certain way and in their minds, since they are just getting started, they believe that a number represents looking that way - and they make that number their goal.

It's sad but true.

Yes you can lose weight without ever lifting a workout finger.

But if what you want is to look a certain way in a swimsuit, that isn't the path to take.

Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:

Like I said...I walk right now...AT LEAST a mile a day, usually 2 and working up to more. I also do low-impact aerobics 2-3 times a week. I'm planning on using my body weight to do some weight training when I lose about 5-10 pounds...I'm just tired of people not you telling me I have to work out every day. I'm not worried about looking good in a swimsuit...too old for that - HA!

I don't know how old you are---next month I'll be 60, and I wore a bikini to the beach this summer. After losing 9 kilos and swimming 4 times a week, I also got alot of Wow's. You're never too old. ;)
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Could it be that you eat too little? Don't eat less than what your body need to function... I wouldn't go below 1300kcal a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start weighing and measuring everything, you'll find it makes a huge difference!