toning after weight loss

Options
So I have lost 45 lbs And I am thrilled however now I have a lot of toning to do. What are your thoughts on the best exercises to do for lower belly. Arms. And inner thighs. Thanks

Replies

• Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You can't spot tone/reduce. If you aren't already lifting I would suggest adopting a lifting routine. Strong lifts 5x5 is a good start.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Full body strength training and calorie deficit.

Toning, spot reducing fat are not real things.

You want to retain your muscle while burning off the body fat. Leaving you with a "tone" look.
  • clewpage
    clewpage Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you're not really interested in losing a bunch more weight, merely want to get some muscle definition, try something low impact that involves weights, resistance, and stretching.
    Contrary to popular belief, there are many ways to build and refine muscle that don't involve stereo-typical "weight lifting" methods. Yes, those methods work, but if you are like me and don't like that style of exercise, there are other ways to build muscle and achieve a more toned and defined look.
    I've done yoga and pilates before with good results, currently do Pure Barre. I don't have much weight to lose, but I do want to improve my muscle definition. Barre methods involve light weights, resistance bands, balls, small muscle contractions, and isometric holds and stretches.
  • Danielle84Duncan
    Danielle84Duncan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have been using a kettle bell weight and doing some HITT training bit I didn't know if there were any specific exercises to really target those areas. I will just keep up what I am doing. :)
  • alesia9
    Options
    Routines that use lots of your own body weight are great. I finished a whole round of PiYo and saw great results with inches lost in my waist and arms/legs more defined.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would agree that doing compound exercises that incorporate lots of muscle groups are ideal for the approach you mentioned. Spot exercising just doesn't work, unless you've built a sufficient foundation everywhere. When people say compound exercises, it's exercises like squats, deadlifts, presses, pullups, dips, etc. And if you aren't strong enough yet to do the full exercise, there are a number of alternative exercises to help you progress towards the actual exercise. Tons of advice on MFP and the net. Good luck.
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    clewpage wrote: »
    If you're not really interested in losing a bunch more weight, merely want to get some muscle definition, try something low impact that involves weights, resistance, and stretching.
    Contrary to popular belief, there are many ways to build and refine muscle that don't involve stereo-typical "weight lifting" methods. Yes, those methods work, but if you are like me and don't like that style of exercise, there are other ways to build muscle and achieve a more toned and defined look.
    I've done yoga and pilates before with good results, currently do Pure Barre. I don't have much weight to lose, but I do want to improve my muscle definition. Barre methods involve light weights, resistance bands, balls, small muscle contractions, and isometric holds and stretches.

What do you log the barre classes as? I
    Also do pure barre :)