Edamame suggestions?

Options
FatOldBat
FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
I've just bought my first bag of frozen, shelled edamame beans and cooked them according to package directions in boiling salted water. Do any of you have any ideas on how to get a little flavor into these very bland beans?

Replies

• grlgemini
    Options
    Add some sea salt on after cooking? Mine always taste good without adding anything. I just buy the frozen kind and microwave according to directions.
  • beahoover
    beahoover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also like to add just a smidgeon of Koni teriyaki sauce and toss while warm.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I also like them plain, but I had an amazing salad with edamame, dried cranberries, and crumbled goat cheese with an herb vinaigrette dressing. SO TASTY!!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This one is spicy so adjust to your taste.

Spicy Edamame
    Source: Cuisine at Home; December 2013
    Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

1 (16 oz.) bag frozen edamame in the shell
    2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
    1 Tbsp. minced lemon zest
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    1 tsp. red pepper flakes
    Coarse salt
    Toasted sesame seeds

Directions

Cook edamame according to package directions. Drain edamame and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool; drain and dry in a salad spinner.

Whisk together lemon juice, soy sauce, zest, sesame oil, and pepper flakes in a large bowl; add edamame and toss to coat. Chill edamame until ready to serve, tossing occasionally. Garnish edamame with coarse salt and sesame seeds.

Per serving: 178 cal; 7g total fat (0g sat); 0mg chol; 189mg sodium; 15g carb; 6g fiber; 12g protein.

Note: If you prefer warm edamame, cook, drain, and dry them, then immediately toss with the sauce mixture.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    A little soy sauce if you're just eating them plain.

But I add edamame to tons of recipes to give me more protein and fiber. Like, bake a foil packet with chicken, mushrooms, edamame, ginger and soy sauce. Or a foil packet of tofu, green onions, and edamame (or you can braise the same combo in a little miso). Or add to sesame noodles. Or add to peanut sauced noodles. I made a baked dish of chicken, sweet potatoes, and edamame with peanut sauce last week and it was delish!
  • grlgemini
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »

Spicy Edamame
    Source: Cuisine at Home; December 2013
    Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

1 (16 oz.) bag frozen edamame in the shell
    2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
    1 Tbsp. minced lemon zest
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    1 tsp. red pepper flakes
    Coarse salt
    Toasted sesame seeds

Directions

Cook edamame according to package directions. Drain edamame and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool; drain and dry in a salad spinner.

Whisk together lemon juice, soy sauce, zest, sesame oil, and pepper flakes in a large bowl; add edamame and toss to coat. Chill edamame until ready to serve, tossing occasionally. Garnish edamame with coarse salt and sesame seeds.

Per serving: 178 cal; 7g total fat (0g sat); 0mg chol; 189mg sodium; 15g carb; 6g fiber; 12g protein.

Note: If you prefer warm edamame, cook, drain, and dry them, then immediately toss with the sauce mixture.

YUMMY!
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »

Ooh, the spicier the better, thanks so much!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I like them with sea salt and lemon juice. But try them unshelled next time! That's the best part of eating edamame! :) they sell frozen steamer bags as far as I know!
  • kayleen_marie
    Options
    I've used this recipe a few times and its an awesome use for edamame in a protein packed salad. Sometimes I don't have time to make the homemade dressing so I used Krafts "asian toasted sesame" dressing with it instead, and it is just as good as the homemade dressing!

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/07/01/rad-rainbow-raw-pad-thai/
  • Milvardea
    Options
    The most amazing use for edamame EVER. This is so good, I'm drooling thinking about it.

4 small sweet potatoes
    1 large mango
    ½ c shelled edamame
    2 T plus 1 T olive oil
    Salt & pepper
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 T honey
    1 T rice vinegar (I use white vinegar once too, and it was fine)
    Small handful of finely chopped cilantro

Preheat the oven at 425°. Rinse & scrub the sweet potatoes well and pat dry. Cut into 1 ½” cubes and place in a bowl. Add the 2 T olive oil and a generous dash of salt & freshly ground pepper and toss until well-coated. Spread the sweet potatoes onto a foil-lined cookie sheet and roast for about 15 minutes or until tender.

While the sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare the dressing by combining the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, honey, rice vinegar, and cilantro, and whisk together well. Set aside. Peel & cut the mango into 1” cubes, and if you’re using frozen, whole edamame, thaw & shell it so you have the individual beans at your disposal.

When the potatoes are done roasting, allow them to cool for a few minutes. Combine the potatoes, mango, and edamame in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing on top & toss lightly. Serve on a bed of greens or on its own, and enjoy!

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/2009/05/recipe-roasted-sweet-potato-mango-and-edamame-salad.html