Looking for tips and ideas of what has worked for you

Hey there,
I have used Fitness Pal for the past few years and had great success. With a healthy diet and regular exercise I lost 45 lbs and felt great. During the past 11 months, I have fallen off the wagon. I'm going back to school, working full time and find it difficult to fit in exercise. My diet has also changed from planned & healthy to convenient & accessible, especially due to late nights studying and afternoon classes.

I know what I need to do and what works but feel like there isn't enough hours in the day anymore from homework, studying, daytime work and housework- which sometimes doesn't even get done. Have any of you had similar situations and if so, how did you work through them? I'll start each day with good intentions, but it seems there is always something more important that needs to be done. Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• I have a two year old and work full time as well I know how hard it can be to keep in a routine with things. I find the biggest thing that has helped me is keeping up with things. when you step back and look at the things that stress you out the most- in my case its little things like dishes and laundry and then really think about how long they take you it isn't as bad as it seems. So I attack those stress triggers head on! From that point on my day is a lot easier.

As far as working out goes, I don't know what id do without my gym being open 24/7 I have found that not making it an option helps. I HAVE to work out or I completely fall off the wagon lol. Even just half and hour will not only keep me on track but also make me feel better.

Also look up some meal prepping videos. Having your healthy food planned and ready leaves no excuses to eat poorly! I keep my premade breakfast stocked up along with my vitamins and supplements pre bagged!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    I don't think there's a magic answer - basically everyone is swamped these days. I work full time, have a blended family (which means a LOT more driving than before), 10 year old twins, 12 year old stepson and all 3 are involved in sports. I have a lot of crock pot meals that I've been using lately and they help with the time crunch practice days. My job is 45 minutes each way, so I spend a lot of time on the go. I can't work in a gym membership, so I work out in my basement on a treadmill, or with weights, or I go for a walk, jog or bike ride in the evening when the tinies are settled in for the night. In this world you just have to learn to deal with the chaos I think. I'd recommend crock potting some meals, meal prepping on a day that you don't have classes and cleaning/house work can be done a little each day to stay on top of it. Sounds like some super-powered organization skills are what will be must valuable to you. Try pinterest - it's a world of ideas.
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    As busy as life gets and lack of time to get things done, I think we would all agree to just step back and ask yourself " How badly do I want this?"
    Your not new to MFP so you know the steps that you have to take in order for you to lose weight and be healthy. If your really lacking time to exercise, then just stay within your calorie goal. Calories in equals calories out. Try not to be stressed with everything that going on in your life either....stress does stupid things to the body.
    So no worries if you cant find time to exercise, just focus on your amount of calories your consuming and get some healthy choices in there! I'm sure you'll do fine
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Whats working for me is staying under my calorie goal, as well as walking for 45 minutes 4 days a week. I refuse to exercise till Im blue in the face....what fun is that?! But I will say my measurements and weight is continually decreasing, just from these simple changes.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    I am a professional dieter. Not something Im proud to state, but its so true. So this time around I am really sticking to writing and printing out my daily diaries. Then as I eat I check off. Done with checking ....done with eating for the day. Sometimes I am hungry, and I tell myself, "oh you just have a bellyache, quit yer whining"....I need to appreciate that warm burn inside my belly, know I am getting enough, and finish my days on the up and up. I always organize my meals, before I shop. I have put my foods and snacks in another area of the kitchen. When I cook for my teenager and husband I go into their area. I don't wish to look past the Doritos to get to my pre-bagged snacks of stuff. I buy snacks that are between 100 and 200 calories and bag them myself. I am less likely to over eat because, well I have worked so blasted hard separating it all into portions! I eat first then cook for family. My meals are so different then what my boys like, I don't wish to eat what they are eating, and they won't like the spinach addiction I have. Happy journey to you!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Single dad w/custody, full time job, run 50-55 miles per week. You have time for the things you want to have time for.
  • Annr
    Single dad w/custody, full time job, run 50-55 miles per week. You have time for the things you want to have time for.

congrats on that....its all a matter of priorities when it comes to juggling life....
  • Annr
    Echoing the priorities thing. I was pulling my hair out trying to squeeze in workouts when I could because I didn't want to get up early in the morning. Then I decided that was the only time I would be able to get it done consistently. Now, I prefer working out in the mornings. I get it done for the day and feel good. I also find that I'm far less stressed when I preplan my meals. Priorities and Preparation.

yep indeedy. I am trying to view this preparing meals thing, like doing reports that my son has to do for school. Do the research, map out a strategy and complete the project. I have to rally people around me that will lift me up not bring me down. Family needs to support me or keep their traps shut. Friends that sabotage me will be eliminated. I have enough negative... Never be shy to say what you mean to family.
  • twinzmom172
    twinzmom172 Posts: 33 Member
    Ugh - been there! Working, going to school full time, interning and raising twins - embarrassed to say that dinner choices many nights were the choice of pepperoni, sausage or plain frozen pizzas!! Planning ahead and/or preparing meals ahead of time - like during your very limited spare time might help. Also - I always needed to make sure I had plenty of good snack choices on hand. Good luck!!! It's a lot of work and tough but will be so worth it in the end!!! :smile:
  • Annr
    Ugh - been there! Working, going to school full time, interning and raising twins - embarrassed to say that dinner choices many nights were the choice of pepperoni, sausage or plain frozen pizzas!! Planning ahead and/or preparing meals ahead of time - like during your very limited spare time might help. Also - I always needed to make sure I had plenty of good snack choices on hand. Good luck!!! It's a lot of work and tough but will be so worth it in the end!!! :smile:

commend you on everything you do, especially with twins!