A Theory

Options
Ok, stats for reference:
Female, 30 years old
CW: 144, GW: 130
Height 5'4
Exercise varies, but I always get in at least 3 one hour cardio sessions a week and will always lift afterward since I'm there already.

Here's my theory: technically, if I were to calculate TDEE for my goal weight of 130, shouldn't I be able to eat that and eventually wind up there? I mean, I know it might take several extra months to wind up there, but wouldn't it be healthier and more sustainable for me to go that route? I feel like it would train my mind and my body to the portions and the calorie intake I'm supposed to have for the weight I want. I don't have much further to go to be there, but 1500 is hard some days. 1700 seems more sustainable for the long run, and will be maintenance once I reach my goal. Is my logic flawed?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how it goes. :)

I don't know much about the whole TDEE/Scooby method, but if you want to try something, I think you should. :)
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    In theory, you should be able to get to your ideal weight by eating at tdee for that weight. However the TDEE is just an estimate so a small deficit may only be a deficit in theory. You just have to try it for a month or more and see if you lose. Then adjust accordingly. How long have you been doing 1500 and how much do you lose on that? If you have been doing it for over a month and have a pretty high monthly loss then you can prob go up 200 cals and still lose for a while. If you are very accurate with your calorie counting, going up 200 cals is only 1400 a week which would be about 0.4lbs less you'd lose per week.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That actually isn't a bad plan. I think it's referred to as "Eating for the Future You".

In fact, here is a thread I found on it:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/477666

edit: The thread is from a group that hasn't been active in a year or so, but I think the information is still valid.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been back at counting for about 2.5 weeks. Not really long enough to make a judgement, but I've lost 3 pounds. I look to be on target for a 2/week loss. Didn't really want to lose that fast. Half of me says screw it, do it quick and get it over with. The other half wants stability and that extra 200 cal a day. Thanks for the thread! I'll check it out.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have thought of doing acalorie count similar to that, but I have only had 28-30lb to lose max, so it is a workable theory. I think it may fall down once you are looking to loose a greater amount of weight.
  • Mediocrates55
    Options
    Of course, more weight to lose would make it a bad example. But I'm just under 20 pounds to go.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you have more weight to lose then the only problem will be you might be eating too little and losing too fast depending on what the difference in tdee is. If you are really close to your goal weight, eating tdee for your goal will make fat loss very very slow if at all due to inaccuracies into estimating burn and calories consumed.

Calculate the difference between your tdee at your current weight and your tdee at your goal weight. The diff will be your deficit you should achieve if everything is perfectly calculated, which it won't be. As you lose weight the difference will not be much so for your last few lbs, this may not be the best approach if you want to see your results within a few weeks.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Of course, more weight to lose would make it a bad example. But I'm just under 20 pounds to go.

Calorie difference might only be ~0.5lbs a week or less, so if you're cool with that time table then it's fine to give it a try. I would do it but... 20ish lbs to lose, would rather not lol.
  • Mediocrates55
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to finish out my 4 weeks on my current deficit. If I stay on it, I should be about 9 pounds from goal at that point. Then I'll switch over to goal weight maintenance and give it a shot. I can always go back to a deeper deficit if I don't see any change from there.