Is there anyone who is overweght that enjoys running outside

Options
2»

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm "obese" according to BMI and I run outside all the time.
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Check the profile. I'm definitely overweight (by a lot, to be honest) and I run/jog/walk outside or at the gym. I'm on the treadmill more now because it's cold in Ohio but I'm moving. During the spring and summer I trained for my half marathon outside. Since I had longer distances I normally went on larger greenway trails. One extra bonus of that is that they were less crowded...but I quickly got over the "am I being judged" idea that pops in your head when you're overweight and working out when I was headed towards the finish line and there were over 1000 people in the crowd cheering runners on at my half(s).
    So yeah a nod or wave is nice, but 9/10 times I probably wouldn't notice because I'm in my own head lol.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I run, I ride, I swim, I am an athlete, I wear two piece swimsuits, I do triathlons, I hike, I go outside. I'm pretty sure living life, setting big hairy goals, and having fun don't have a weight requirement :D .
  • MsMojo_13
    MsMojo_13 Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    mshepard83 wrote: »
    Actually, I have wondered, do fit people have swelling after a run, too?

Yes, that does happen. There are anti-inflammatory foods that you can add to your diet that will help. Of course, drinking lots of water. Also, soaking your legs in ice water after an intense leg workout or run will help as well as taking an anti-inflammatory medication. I use aspirin, but Advil, Tylenol or Aleve make work as well.

As for the original topic - overweight people running, I'm sorry, but I have to wonder where you live or if you're like me and you zone out so much when you run that maybe you're not as aware of your surroundings as usual. I see overweight people running all the time. I was one, 100 lbs ago.

I'm glad that you waved. I ALWAYS give a smile and thumbs up to people that I see running (fit or overweight) because I was always encouraged when I started running again. The running community is one of the most warm and welcoming communities. It's hard to step out into public and put yourself out there for every passing car to see. And thin or heavy, when you're starting out, you struggle. To allow every passerby see that struggle is a very brave thing to do.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    <this girl. I HATE running on the treadmill so I run outside as much as I can.

Nod and wave all you want but don't do it just because someone is overweight...I get that you're trying to be encouraging but why not do the same to all fellow runners? Maybe that skinny one is recovering from an injury and working just as hard? Or maybe they used to be obese and still have to deal with bad habits and food obsessions on a daily basis. Maybe I'm just in a foul mood this morning and taking this too seriously? :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think that an awful lot of us started out running when we were heavier. However, as I continued to run (and count calories) I dropped all that extra weight. I'd bet I'm not the only heavy beginning runner who became a thin 'old' runner. :P
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm "technically" overweight, although most people who meet me roll their eyes at that. I do run outdoors and I love it, but it kills my stupid knees if I do it too much. Dream of running a half/full marathon: squashed by doc saying "I think it's in your best interest to run no more than a 10K at a time." Boo.
    I do see overweight people jogging where I live, although they are not usually extremely overweight or obese. I love to see the effort they put forth and I find it motivating.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Overweight outdoor runner checking in. Don't have much to add that hasn't been said above.
  • MsMojo_13
    MsMojo_13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    mshepard83 wrote: »
    Wheelhouse15 & 365andstillalive, thanks, I will have to see about changing my shoes, since I think that may be a big part of the problem, as well as talk to my dr. My shoes are never right for anything, lol, but I don't put a lot of thought into it.

This is good advice as well. I recommend you try a running store. Normally the shoes aren't more expensive there than a sports chain, but they are an investment and will make a world of difference.

• SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight (55 down though!) and I see people who are heavier than me running outside. I try to make brief eye contact and smile at everyone. I see old, young, trim, heavy, male, female... More trim than not but mostly I see people trying to stay/get healthy, but not already a hard body.

And I agree on shoes from a running store. First run was Old Navy Athletic shoes. Second run was Nike running shoes from a store that sells overruns and things that don't sell well in regular stores - a closeout place. Eh. Finally I broke down and went to an actual RUNNING store.

The sales person asked about my gait, the wear on my existing shoes (didn't video my stride but I also told him I was a beginner) how often I run, how my knees/ankles feel after running, if I ever get arch pain, what surfaces I'm running on... And I tried on shoes that ran narrow, that had more and less arch support, more and less cushion. I decided at my age I should be gentle on my knees and went with super cushy Asics Gels and OMG what a difference. They felt clunkier and bigger at first but they also seemed to give me more spring. They certainly gave me a LOT more cushion where the Nikes didn't seem to distribute my weight evenly.

Also are you landing with your foot FLAT? You shouldn't land heel/toe motion. This also evenly distributes the impact on the shoe so it absorbs/disperses the impact better which in turn is better for the knees.

• FoodyGal90
    FoodyGal90 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running outside and I'm overweight. Verging on an obese BMI I think. I've run 10 k this week, over 3 days.
    I expect most people are too self conscious to go running in public, I have the added benefit of living in a rural area. The only things judging me are cows and sheep.
    When I lived in a more urban area I used to see a good mix of slim and heavier people running. It was actually great to see the changes in the same people as the months passed.
  • newjeanbean
    newjeanbean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For a while I was too embarrassed to start running in the park because I knew I was bigger and assumed I'd keep stopping for breath while others breezed past.. BUT I bought myself a nice pair of running shoes and said to myself, "You only deserve these if you use them!" So, I started running early every morning around 5am so that I wouldn't run into other people (pun intended :p ) That jump-start led me to eating healthier, lifting free weights, and trying some yoga moves (and laughing about it!!).

I think most overweight people are embarrassed and used to getting ridiculed, so jogging in a park seems like a horrifying idea, but it's people like you who would smile at me or give a friendly wave that encouraged me to keep going. (*) So thank you !!! (*)
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am overweight and I alternate between outside and inside. I prefer running outside from a holistic experience perspective. However when I'm getting back into it the treadmill is less intimidating... I can always hop off and I'm a finite distance from a bathroom, my car, etc... :) Also as a fat person I personally find it embarrassing to intimate to fit acquaintances that I'm trying to lose weight. What if I fail? What if I see you running the same trail as me for 2 months and then I stop and then you ask me about it and my answer is... I... failed at becoming healthy... again? It's a lot of pressure. So, yes fat people work out outside. But speaking for myself, (and maybe others?) I want to be anonymous, that's why I participate in an online forum of people that will never notice if I disappear for 6 months. Working out outside sort of puts me out there and people (well meaning nice people) comment on your journey when you're out there.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I am overwieght (5'6" 203lbs) and I love running outside. I take my dog for an early morning run around the neighborhood when I am off work or I go down some amazing multi-purpose trails we have accoss the street from where I work during my lunch break. I was uncomfortable about it when I started but now I love it. I have had quite a few runners smile or nod at me as I has struggling past them. :smile: I can't stand the treadmill so I will stay outside as long as I can.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Like :)
  • lkniebuehler
    Options
    I run outside too. I may not wave back or even smile but mostly that's because Im trying to focus on simply just breathing! But really, I never see overweight people jog outside... but who knows, maybe some of those fit people used to be overweight.. and they got fit by running.. outside.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Um, yes. I am morbidly obese and I'm out there walking – have started running very short sections and will start C25K in the spring (again). There is no shame in being fat and being out there doing what you want to do. I am proud! :)
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Overweight outdoor runner checking in. Don't have much to add that hasn't been said above.

Another overweight outdoor runner checking in. :relaxed:
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I live in an area fairly well saturated with outdoors/active people. Our infrastructure supports this. Even in the midst of cold Northern New England winters, you'll see plenty of people on any given stretch of road, walking, biking, running, inline skating, etc. So I often see people of all body types and ages outside exercising in some way.