Could vegan diet help with dizziness

Options
So I used to get incredibly lightheaded. Going from laying to sitting and sitting to standing (laying down to standing would have probably caused me to completely pass out), exercising, even turning around too quickly would all cause intense lightheadedness.
For a few days it's almost completely gone. A very tiny amount when I stand up quickly but absolutely nothing in comparison to what it was. The only change that has happened is switching to vegan diet.
Could it be linked in any way, and how? Just from curiosity.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Get your blood pressure checked
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No.

Sounds like low blood pressure if it happens from standing too quickly. I would see your doctor.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Seen him, my blood pressure is always spot on. Loads of blood tests, all came back as normal.
    Does anyone else know what could have changed it suddenly from feeling like it for months? In fact, thinking about it - it probably didn't come on too long after I started MFP. Could it be my body "settling" after such a drastic change in diet/calories?
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Did he do an orthostatic BP test? If you've only ever gotten your BP checked while sitting or lying, you're not getting the whole picture. You need one lying, one immediately after sitting (from lying) and one immediately after standing (from sitting or lying). If there's a significant drop from one to the next, it's orthostatic hypotension.

I don't see how going vegan would help at all.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So I used to get incredibly lightheaded. Going from laying to sitting and sitting to standing (laying down to standing would have probably caused me to completely pass out), exercising, even turning around too quickly would all cause intense lightheadedness.
    For a few days it's almost completely gone. A very tiny amount when I stand up quickly but absolutely nothing in comparison to what it was. The only change that has happened is switching to vegan diet.
    Could it be linked in any way, and how? Just from curiosity.

Please make a doctor's appointment. Your symptoms lessening could be due to coincidence.

What is your calorie goal? How much are you eating?
  • sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking diet soda? That is one of the common side effects for someone sensitive to aspartame.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you currently eating? I can guess it is probably not enough.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor check iron and hemoglobin levels? Anemia can cause these symptoms and introducing more sources of dietary iron (like leafy greens and nuts) could have helped it. Those symptoms can also be caused by dehydration, so if you're getting more liquids or eating more watery foods (like fresh fruits and vegetables) that could possibly explain it also.

If the symptoms continue, though, I would say go back to the doctor and tell him that he needs to start looking at other things now. Dizzy spells are not normal no matter what diet you are on.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yeesh, see your doc. It could be any number of things. What is your calorie intake per day?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sign of under eating.
  • highcarbveganzombie
    Options
    Sometimes being dizzy is an inner ear thing. Vertigo or inflammation? You could ask your doctor about that, it might not be diet related. Good luck. :)
  • MoochieRama
    MoochieRama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    No u need more protein & water. I had the same thing after being on a vegan diet. My blood pressure & my blood sugar were both low. I was going too many hours without eating & needed more protein & more water.
  • lemonsurprise
    Options
    I'm eat between 1,200 - 1,400 a day + exercise. And the blood tests covered checking for anaemia, which is what he was convinced it was, and my iron levels came back fine.
  • lemonsurprise
    Options
    And yes, I drink far too much diet soda. Ill try cutting that out and see if it helps.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's likely a coincidence. Even if it were linked, changes in diet take awhile to make a difference. You wouldn't notice in a couple of days. But it makes no sense for them to be linked anyway.

Here's what I've learned from a dozen years of chronic illness-- sometimes stuff just happens. Symptoms come and go completely unrelated to what you're doing. Human beings desperately want to link things, but often that's just a trick our minds play on us.