More questions about IIFYM.

hello everybody. So im a lil confused about this whole "if it fits your micros thing". So you mean to tell me i can have a eat whatever i want just as long as its under my calorie goal and as long as i hit my protein goal? Like on cheat meals i mainly go to popeyes and order the dinner combo and i still be under my calorie goal. I just ate i personal size pizza today and it had fit my micros. So you mean to tell me i can ate pizza everyday as long as it fit in my micros? Now i still will eat clean foods like brown rice and stuff like that. But i can fit dirty foods in my diet everyday and it wont hinder my weight loss? Lol, im am new to this so sorry for my lack of understance. I just want to be sure that i can eat healthy 60% of the day and eat dirty 40% off the day and still lose weight. Can somebody please explain this, because its sounds a little too good to be true.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Yes, that's how it works. However, to accurately hit your macros, you usually need a majority of nutrient dense food with some treats and calorie dense foods. I haven't seen any exact numbers, but usually it's an 80% nutrient dense foods (think what a lot of people typically call "healthy") and 20% calorie dense. But if you can do a 60/40 split and still hit your macros, then yes, that won't hinder your loss.
  • shonako
    shonako Posts: 98 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    Yes, that's how it works. However, to accurately hit your macros, you usually need a majority of nutrient dense food with some treats and calorie dense foods. I haven't seen any exact numbers, but usually it's an 80% nutrient dense foods (think what a lot of people typically call "healthy") and 20% calorie dense. But if you can do a 60/40 split and still hit your macros, then yes, that won't hinder your loss.

Thanks for the answer! Good to know i can sneak calorie dense foods in my diet a still lose weight.
  • I am also new to flexible dieting, if you want to work with each other let me know !
  • shonako
    I am also new to flexible dieting, if you want to work with each other let me know !

i would love too! How many days have you been trying iifym for?
  • safri77
    safri77 Posts: 10 Member
    I have try IIFYM calculator, but it didn't work for me. So I count manually, only then I start losing weight. :)
  • devenfuentes
    devenfuentes Posts: 27 Member
    IIFYM doesn't just have to do with protein. I'm sure you know but just in case...it has to do with the most important nutrients to reach a goal of weight loss or weigh gain. It consists of protein, carbs, and fat. MFP sets your macros to your individual goals so just make sure to especially watch you fats. Also an analogy that works well with IIFYM is if you put the cheapest oil possible in your car it's still going to run but not as well as if you put some high dollar oil in it. Oil=food. I also do IIFYM and I've been seeing very good results. Hope this helps a little
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
  • shonako
    auddii wrote: »

also since you only eat 20% of calorie dense food daily do you also have cheatmeal?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited November 2014
    IIFYM doesn't just have to do with protein. I'm sure you know but just in case...it has to do with the most important nutrients to reach a goal of weight loss or weigh gain. It consists of protein, carbs, and fat. MFP sets your macros to your individual goals so just make sure to especially watch you fats. Also an analogy that works well with IIFYM is if you put the cheapest oil possible in your car it's still going to run but not as well as if you put some high dollar oil in it. Oil=food. I also do IIFYM and I've been seeing very good results. Hope this helps a little

I beg to differ. As long as you are also getting your Micros (vitamins and minerals) then it would not make any difference. Your body runs on carbs, protein and fat, it has no idea where they come from (in other words, the car can not distinguish between the same oil from 2 different companies), as such food choice wont matter as long as you hit those, but don't miss your micros, as you will not function optimally missing out on those either.
  • shonako
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

thanks for that article it was really helpfully!
  • shonako
    erickirb wrote: »

I beg to differ. As long as you are also getting your Micros (vitamins and minerals) then it would not make any difference. Your body runs on carbs, protein and fat, it has no idea where they come from (in other words, the car not not distinguish between the same oil from 2 different companies), as such food choice wont matter as long as you hit those, but don't miss your micros, as you will not function optimally missing out on those either.

Thanks for the advise! can i still cheat meals doing iifym if im doing the 80/20 plan though?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    shonako wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »

I beg to differ. As long as you are also getting your Micros (vitamins and minerals) then it would not make any difference. Your body runs on carbs, protein and fat, it has no idea where they come from (in other words, the car not not distinguish between the same oil from 2 different companies), as such food choice wont matter as long as you hit those, but don't miss your micros, as you will not function optimally missing out on those either.

Thanks for the advise! can i still cheat meals doing iifym if im doing the 80/20 plan though?

Yes you can. Just make sure to hit macros and micros, and you could eat anything at all that allows you to do so, which would be hard to do with a lot of "junk" food anyway, so IIFYM and you hit your micros, you are pretty much forced to have a healthy diet.
  • morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    With IIFYM the point is that because you can add in a treat on a daily basis there isn't a need for a cheat meal, unless you are refering to a cheat meal as a refeed day (upping calorie intake) where you would than be able to fit more "treats" into a give day because you have a higher calories and macros to hit.