Flexible Dieting/#IIFYM experts, please read!

2»

Replies

• @BFDeal lmao! I was tempted but too full at that point after my dinner that I couldn't finish :(
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    @erickirb @hornsby MFP has me set at 20% , what do you recommend I increase my protein intake to?

I would suggest aiming for a gram amount based on your weight then workout the %. Since I don't know your weight I cannot say for sure. As an example, lets say you are 180 lbs, and don't know you BF%, then I would say 0.7-0.8 grams/lb, so 126 to 144 grams which would be 26.8% ((126*4)/1880) and 31% ((144*4)/1880). so you can set at 25% and use that a a bare minimum or 30% and try to hit that number.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    There's a lot of controversy and quite a few myths floating around about optimal protein intake for training or losing weight. A few studies can be found here: bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/. I'd say read up and draw your own conclusions.

Point is, if you've just started logging, you may be finding it hard to meet your macros right now. But that could be for any number of these reasons:
    • Maybe you're not logging food accurately -- this is *very* likely, especially if you use generic or user-submitted foods that other members added to the database, or if you're not weighing everything you eat with a food scale.
    • Maybe you're not too well versed on serving sizes -- also very common.
    • Maybe your eating habits have for a long time favoured certain kinds of foods and been skimpy on other nutrients that your body needs. In which case, it might take you some time to notice this and to start adding back foods that are rich in those nutrients.

It does get easier!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    @BFDeal lmao! I was tempted but too full at that point after my dinner that I couldn't finish :(

That means you have the ability to stop eating when you're full -- even when it's something as tempting as B&J's.

That's awesome. I'm envious.