more binge advice

Options
I'm writing this as my stomach is distended to its full maximum:

so about maybe 1-2 months ago i wrote on here about how ive been maintaining my weight but yet binging 1-2 times a week and I mean BINGING haha.
basic stats: 128 lbs, 5ft5, male, run 4-5 times a week (8-12km).

when I approached the MFP community last time about binging, you guys told me I should eat more. Ive tried doing that. I upped from 1500 to 1650. I noticed I also gained like 3 lbs ish. (I was 125 and now am 128 last time I checked) No big deal, whatever.

My problem: Although it may be a tad better, I'm still intensely binging 1-2 times a week. i.e. on halloween night (my grandma prepared me a nice huge bag of tootsie rolls and caramels (my 2 fave things in the world) I ate the whole bag in that one sitting) and now tonight once again :( as in i dont even know how much I ate, i feel puking.

I tried setting myself binge dates but its not working. I tried distracting myself, but thats not working either. Ahhh I dont even know what to type haha. All I know is that I'm fed up of my behaviour and wish I could stop indefinitely. Any more advice? I really appreciate hearing all the different opinions people may offer me :)

with that, goodnight :)!
David.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you need a lot more calories than you are getting. You are young, male, and very active. You need much more food. Keep increasing each week by about 250 calories daily. You will probably need to increase at least 750-1000 calories per day. Until you are eating enough your body will have a very high drive to get enough food by bingeing. No way around it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    You can change. Two thoughts. 1) Have you checked an online BMR/TDEE calculator? Seems to me you are eating around BMR and your TDEE might be up around 2000kcal? That addresses hunger (binge impetus?) but not necessarily the binge response.

2) Often behavior change comes from inner transformation rather than will power alone. Setting binge dates and arranging distractions rely on will power to a large extent, and we all know will power has its limits. Could emotional eating be playing a role? Is there a feeling (emotional desire, not physical) that seems often to precede a binge? E.g., many emotional eaters (I am NOT suggesting this applies to you) turn to food/satiety when what they really crave is a feeling-- feeling ok about themselves, feeling healed from past wounds, feeling loved/cared for, feeling worthwhile-- but there isn't an obvious way to address the deeper craving. So they eat to escape loneliness, shame, emptiness, pain.

It's much easier to adjust caloric intake than to do serious soul searching. It's hard work, but everyone I've known feels better once they've actually done it.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Ahoy - there is a big difference between binge eating when you are seriously undereating and binge eating when you are not. First thing to address is the seriously low intake for a young, active male. If binge eating continues after that then yes, looking at other factors will be useful. One thing at a time.
  • davidflip
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    You can change. Two thoughts. 1) Have you checked an online BMR/TDEE calculator? Seems to me you are eating around BMR and your TDEE might be up around 2000kcal? That addresses hunger (binge impetus?) but not necessarily the binge response.

2) Often behavior change comes from inner transformation rather than will power alone. Setting binge dates and arranging distractions rely on will power to a large extent, and we all know will power has its limits. Could emotional eating be playing a role? Is there a feeling (emotional desire, not physical) that seems often to precede a binge? E.g., many emotional eaters (I am NOT suggesting this applies to you) turn to food/satiety when what they really crave is a feeling-- feeling ok about themselves, feeling healed from past wounds, feeling loved/cared for, feeling worthwhile-- but there isn't an obvious way to address the deeper craving. So they eat to escape loneliness, shame, emptiness, pain.

It's much easier to adjust caloric intake than to do serious soul searching. It's hard work, but everyone I've known feels better once they've actually done it.
    Ahoy - there is a big difference between binge eating when you are seriously undereating and binge eating when you are not. First thing to address is the seriously low intake for a young, active male. If binge eating continues after that then yes, looking at other factors will be useful. One thing at a time.

Thanks for both your responses. I have looked at my TDEE and it suggests around 2000 calories. This is my concern: if I were to eat at that caloric intake, I'm scared my binges
    will still occur regardless of me eating more and hence will indefinitely lead me to gaining weight... am I making sense?
  • salomeswish
    salomeswish Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When do you binge? What triggers it? Next time, when you feel the urge drink a full glass of water, do 100 jumping jacks and see if you still feel like binging. Before you do, brush your teeth. I don't like eating when my mouth feels minty. If that still doesn't work, you're probably hungry. Binge, then hit the gym... HARD!!!

I binge myself. After I do, I think about how disgusting I am and how bad I feel. Sometimes my advice works and other times, well...
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You need some level of help that mfp is not going to be able to provide you. You need to seek out a therapist who specializes in eating disorders, because that's what you have.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You need some level of help that mfp is not going to be able to provide you. You need to seek out a therapist who specializes in eating disorders, because that's what you have.

This.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

This.

Yep.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You may be eating more, but is it still ENOUGH? And is it balanced? Are you getting enough fat? How much are you working out? Just eating another 100-150 calories isn't going to automatically fix the problem.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You seem underweight for your height and probably deprive yourself regularly, which sets you up psychologically for the shadow side of extended food deprivation...a binge. Try to take a more balanced approach (easier said than done, I understand).
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options

This.

Yep.

Yes. Please seek help. You're underweight and at risk of serious harm.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i would seek some professional help your a guy really you should be eating at least 2000 calories
    id say your gaining cause your body is deprived of nutrition