5 lbs in a week??!

Options
ok, I just weighed myself. Last week my home scale said 143. Today 138. Whats up with that? should I get a new scale? Doesn't seem right.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nice job!
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't panic and see what it says tomorrow.
  • goo81
    goo81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing in a consistent fashion? Same time of day? Clothes/no clothes? Also, we have an old-fashioned scale at our house. I have to make sure it's at zero, and if it's not, there is a little dial I can turn (like winding a clock) to zero it.
  • Stuz359
    Options
    Is it your first week on a new plan? If so it may be water weight. A lot of people starting a new plan lose a lot the first week, but then nothing the next so don't be discouraged if this happens to you.
    Other things maybe, for example, when I was losing a lot of weight some weeks I would lose 4-5lbs because as you lose weight, the supporting structures for the fat cells go too, so you may have lost a bit from your body flushing these structures from your body.
    The other thing is are you weighing yourself consistently? I.e, same time of the day, before you take on fluids, after a toilet break etc, etc
    The only way to measure weight loss accurately is to keep everything as consistent as possible when you weigh in.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it was just water weight? :#

Stuz has good advice. If that advice doesn't work and you're noticing wild changes, get a new scale and/or make sure the floor that the scale is sitting on is flat. Good luck!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Nice job!

Lol. Nice job gets flagged?

Maybe someone meant to Like it not Flag it? :'(
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    been doing this about a month. Watching what I eat etc. working out to Jillian and leslie sansone. Last week, I weighed at home 143, next day at Drs was 144. Although when I wieghed last time it was time of the month. So is it possible to lose this much? Should I log this or wait?
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    ahhhhh...that would make sense. should i log this?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Poofersgrl wrote: »
    been doing this about a month. Watching what I eat etc. working out to Jillian and leslie sansone. Last week, I weighed at home 143, next day at Drs was 144. Although when I wieghed last time it was time of the month. So is it possible to lose this much? Should I log this or wait?

If it was your time of the month last time you weighed, yes it is possible. Women can see a 3-10 pound fluctuation around their time of the month.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Nice poop!
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    should i log this
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    ok so perhaps wait a few to log it and see what happens
  • fatnutjob
    fatnutjob Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Could be a whoosh effect, water weight loss, or just a looot of fat/muscle loss.

It happens from time to time.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    In my 2.5 year journey the only conclusion I have is that our bodies are incredibly fickle, yet oh so honest. Sometimes TOM effects my weight, other times it doesn't seem to. Sometimes a cheat day over the weekend will make me gain a pound or two, sometimes I'll lose a pound or two. Sometimes I hit a stall for two months. It can be frustrating - however there are a few things I do to help:

-I weight in once a week at the same time/day and log that weight. As long as the trend over a few months is down I know I am doing my job. If it isn't, then I have to reevaluate things and try something new.
    -I take measurements, BMI, Body Fat %, and Body Age measurements to see progress happening off the scale.
    -I keep a list of things that I couldn't do before that I can do now (like 2.5 years ago I could not run up the stairs in my house without breathing heavy - can do that and so much more now!).

Always keep your chin up. Best of luck!!!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible although I can't explain it. When my TOM was coming, the scale seemed to really slow down. Then 3 days into it, it dropped 5lbs and hasn't gone back up. I look more at the average amount since I started eating clean and exercising since it's not really linear and water retention (and other things) can play a factor. I would log it.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That guy lost 24lb in a day just by dehydrating himself.
    I'd suggest - Start with this number(your current weight), then choose a weekly time and day to weigh and do it consistently. You will get a trend of what is happening. I've 'lost' 7lb in a week just because I weighed at a different time of day.