The HRM on Samsung Galaxy S5

I have been keen to buy a Polar FT7 (or similar) for a while so I can get a better idea of calorie burn and get more healthy, etc, than mfp and Fitbit (I own the One) tell me.

My exercise at the moment comprises of a lot of power walking and a bit of swimming, although I do plan to do more / varied cardio workout aswell very soon (I am 5 foot 8 and 247lb, by the way).

The research I do tells me it isn’t going to help me all that much, but the answers are usually quite different as to why. Then today I stumble upon a comparison test with HRMs that confirm that the fingertip HRM function on the Samsung Galaxy S5 is surprisingly accurate for my purposes (cardio, walking & calorie burn, aswell as recording heart rate). I looked further into it (because I just assumed it was a gimmick on the phone) and a few reputable sites (eg CNET) seem to suggest that the S5’s HRM is pretty good.

I own the S5 and I did use the HRM on it every morning for a while, which gave me an average resting HR of about 72 over about 4 months of daily readings. I stopped using it when it hit me that I had no idea what to really do with this information so until I looked further into it I was pretty much wasting my time! I also questioned the accuracy of it (like I say, I assumed it was just a bit of a gimmick) but this research has made me think twice.

So if it IS accurate, I surely don’t need to look into spending more money than I’d prefer to on a Polar (or similar) device when I already own a decent HRM.

So my question would be, how would I best use it to work out calorie burn? I can take a reading before and after my exercises, but these are just snapshots and not giving me anything other than a one-off figure.

Does anybody know how I can use these figures for calorie burn, or is there a way I can use my S5 to work this out for me?

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    The benefit of tracking your HR first thing in the morning is to watch for over-training. If after a hard workout your HR is 10 BPM faster the next morning that is an indication that you should take a recovery day (easy workout/cross-train/rest).

That said I don't see HRM on your phone providing good data during your workout, I think you will have to break down and buy a proper HRM.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    As far as I know, you need to know your resting heart rate, then your maximum, and basically what is the good working/fat burning heart rate for you during exercise. I have a Note 2 and use the heart rate monitor app, which uses the camera lense for my pulse. I don't monitor every freaking second like some do, but out of curiosity I'll measure it during warm up, high intensity and cool down phases of my step aerobics. When I work out and I'm tired my heart rate is higher, I slow my pace, don't kick as high or do the arm lifts for example. I figure its keeping me from having a heart attack from over enthusiasm, telling me when to slow down. Thats how I use it anyway.

Supposedly there are target zones for fat loss, there seems to be controversy over longer workouts/lower heart rate targets, and shorted workouts at higher intensity. I don't have the time for longer workouts, so the shorter ones actually require more rest, but that works out with my work schedule.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I would just get a hrm with a chest strap. It will give you your target zone and will tell you calories burned and will read your heart rate all through exercise.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    The HRM on a S5 does not provide continuous monitoring which makes it nearly useless for calculating calories. All you get are snapshots of your pulse when you place your finger on the sensor.

Continuous read HRMs (chest strap versions, some newer optical arm/wrist mount models) are great for counting heart beats if cardiac activity is what you want to monitor. Zone training is meaningless, if not counterproductive, for most people on MFP. The formulas used by the most common HRMs here have very limited formulas to calculate caloric estimates which makes them grossly inaccurate.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    If you want a HRM that is going to give you a calorie burn during exercise you really need one that is monitoring your heart rate throughout your workout. That's pretty much impossible using the sensor on the S5 (I have one, too) since you're probably bouncing around most of the time. You could certainly buy just a chest heart rate monitor, or even one of the new wrist models that provide continuous feedback using light, and then use the S Health app to provide the tracking. I know that app will sync with a HRM. You'd just need to determine which ones would work with it before you go out and buy one.