2 workouts in 1 day

Options
Is it safe or ok to do 2 in 1 day. Ex: do 30 day beginner shred and leslie sansone, zumba (wii), or just dance?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    That should be fine. I typically run on my lunch break, and then lift after work. Just make sure you're eating enough to support the extra workouts.
  • nessab70
    nessab70 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i quite often work out more than once a day :)
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am trying to get my steps in for the day which is why I am asking. I did the beginner shred this morning, and was thinking of doing a 15-30 minute leslie. How do I know if I am eating enough to support the extra workout?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    That should be fine. I typically run on my lunch break, and then lift after work. Just make sure you're eating enough to support the extra workouts.

This. I lift in the morning and cardio in the afternoon for two days out of the week.
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    ahhhhh I like that idea....2 days a week do both, then alternate (with rest days) the others
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I lifted this morning and have Krav Maga tonight. This happens twice a week. I'm sure you will be okay. If you are worried about eating enough to support the workout have an extra snack today.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do a 45 min cycle to work in the morning, then same again at the end of the day to get home. I do this 5 days a week. I'm still here after 4 months of doing this and feel fitter and healthier than ever.

As for safety? well, cycling is fast becoming an extreme sport round these parts, with all the dodging car drivers and HGV's who seem hell bent on running me down.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I often work out more than once per day. My routine often is Bootcamp then yoga then personal training on one day and then Bootcamp, kickboxing and personal training on another.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the time to work out twice in one day!!! damn long commute to work! but I do know a lot of people who will run on their lunch (which i can't do because i sweat profusely!) and then run after work, or run in the morning and lift after work. Really whatever works best with your schedule! Like others said, just make sure you fuel properly during the day so that by the second work out you have energy to give it all you've got!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    your good. if your doing it for an extended period of time, just make sure that you address any ache/pain and don't let it go for weeks and months. it can snow ball into something bad. that applies to any level of exercise, but I think the more you do, the more prone you are to injury and may be less likely to be comfortable taking off time to heal.
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    good points. I think I will stick to what I was doing. 1 day 30 day shred and 1 day leslie with off days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends...

Do you also take proper rest and recovery time? Do you properly fuel your fitness? There's more to it than just saying it's OK or not OK. You are in general, more prone to injury...this is exacerbated when you aren't getting enough rest and recovery or if you're not eating appropriately for your activity level.

I have two-a-days 3x weekly...I also make sure I rest and I eat well and I listen to my body and take it easy when I need to.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Lots of great replies. 1. Eat properly and 2. Give your body time to rest. You can't out exercise a bad diet, diet should be your #1 priority.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this would be a problem, or why you would even need rest days. Plenty of people all over the world work day after day in manual labor jobs that are far more taxing than most workouts.
  • spally2
    Options
    ditto the other comments. I often train twice a day 3 times a week with maybe a run in the morning with a yoga/pilates session at lunchtime or a body combat session. Just take it easy and see how the body feels and make sure you have enough to fuel both sessions.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Depending on the intensity of the workouts, yes you can. In my experience, AM lifting + PM insanity was too much. However, AM lifting + AM or PM 30 min run was doable. Like others have said, make sure you eat enough to fuel your body and make sure you have enough rest!
  • Evelyn_IRV
    Evelyn_IRV Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do that! I do 30 DS last week did level 1, now I´m on level 2 + 40 min walk
    I do that 5 days a week and rest for 2 days.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It depends...

Do you also take proper rest and recovery time? Do you properly fuel your fitness? There's more to it than just saying it's OK or not OK. You are in general, more prone to injury...this is exacerbated when you aren't getting enough rest and recovery or if you're not eating appropriately for your activity level.

I have two-a-days 3x weekly...I also make sure I rest and I eat well and I listen to my body and take it easy when I need to.

This. Everyone is different. I'm currently training for a Marathon using a 4 run/week program but I know that's just too much for me so I've adapted a 3 run/week schedule to allow myself enough time in between runs to recover and also give me time for my once a week zumba and lifting. I'm struggling with finding a balance to fuel my workouts but still giving myself an adequate deficit for weight loss. You really just have to try and see what works for you. The best way to know if you're doing it right is listen to your body. If you are getting light headed/cramps/etc during a workout you need more fuel. If you're still sore from a workout, take a rest day. That being said, you have to learn the difference between "my body needs a rest" pain and "getting out of your comfort zone" pain - which again, only you can do in time from trial and error. Good luck!

• ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I would echo what everyone else is saying... just be sure you don't burn yourself out!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It depends...

I agree with this. Fuel and recovery time is important. As long as your body can handle it and you are not burning out, then go for it. Listen to your body.