Fiber- Does Anyone Get Enough?

Options

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My goal is set at 25 and I rarely hit it. I have 20 g of fiber today because I had berries.
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    I did it! I went over my goal of 25g- just barely, but one day at a time right?! I planned out my fiber intake over the course of the day so hopefully my tummy is pleased. Today I included some Fiber One cereal with yogurt and berries at breakfast, fiber/protein bar at lunch, almonds and Ryevita with Coconut butter for my two snacks and a broccoli cabbage salad with my dinner. I am mindful of fats+protein so I don't get backed up again and
    - I will drink more water...I will drink more water...
  • yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    111grace wrote: »
    Hi I am on this keto diet, and by increasing my protein intake,seems to have blocked the works! I am at the moment having constipation problems! Damn its painful! Drinking water, does not help that just makes me pee more often. Looking for natural ways to solve my problem. I have cut my Vegetable in half and no fruit on keto. ,but I bought some fruit this week hoping to solve my problem.

I'm doing keto too, but I'm not doing high protein. I'm eating high fat. Lots of almonds, coconut oil, grass-fed butter, avocados, etc. Haven't had any problems with constipation. I'm going less often, but without effort, which is sort of the point.

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I think I average around 40+ish daily without really trying, but on Sundays (I ritually treat myself to a less healthy breakfast and then end up skipping lunch to compensate calorically, so breakfast and lunch both = missed opportunities for fiber) I often am "low" at about 30.

I eat lots of beans, lots of fresh fruit, veggies. When I eat grain products they're almost always whole grain.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    scoandmur wrote: »
    I did it! I went over my goal of 25g- just barely, but one day at a time right?! I planned out my fiber intake over the course of the day so hopefully my tummy is pleased. Today I included some Fiber One cereal with yogurt and berries at breakfast, fiber/protein bar at lunch, almonds and Ryevita with Coconut butter for my two snacks and a broccoli cabbage salad with my dinner. I am mindful of fats+protein so I don't get backed up again and
    - I will drink more water...I will drink more water...
    Hope you're raising the fiber slowly! If you don't, it can bloat you and make you fart a lot. I know it's a little late now, but if you dramatically raised it and you're uncomfortable, you'll know why. :)
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Hope you're raising the fiber slowly! If you don't, it can bloat you and make you fart a lot. I know it's a little late now, but if you dramatically raised it and you're uncomfortable, you'll know why. :)
    [/quote]

Thanks, yes, I used only a 1/4 cup of Fiber cereal for a couple of days and sticking to that to see how I make out
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,351 Member
    Options
    I always go over my 21g goal. I do eat apples every day and I usually have salad for lunch. I use romaine lettuce and add veggies like radishes, green pepper, cucumber, tuna then I make a wrap out of it with 2 large high fiber whole grain tortillas. I also eat Fiber One Chewy bars (9g) but be prepared (I think it's the chickory) and close to the bathroom! I don't do beans (yuck) so I constantly look for foods that say high fiber.
  • MrsWayneWV
    MrsWayneWV Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One tablespoon of flaxseed provides about 3 grams of fiber. You might also supplement with sugar-free Metamucil orange single serve packets. I've added flaxseed to oatmeal, soup, and even substituted it for eggs in recipes. (Google that.) I carry a couple Metamucil packets to add to bottled water to ward off the between meals munchies.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My goal is 21 grams, but I usually do around 34. Fruit, veggies, complex carbs, etc.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I consistently do NOT get enough fiber in my diet. I know I can do better with my food planning to help but also considering using a supplement . What is your fiber goal, how do you eat/ingest enough?

Quest bars are not only excellent for protein, but they are high in fiber (the Strawberry Cheesecake flavor has 17 grams of dietary fiber). This is a little less than half of my daily requirement, which is a significant head start each morning!

• mrsbunbunbun
    mrsbunbunbun Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am skeptical of the benefit of the high-fiber content in the Quest bars, although this Friday where I have one planned into my day, it sure makes all my little stir-ins less necessary on paper. We'll see how I feel. Since I started IIFYM I did the same as another user and switched MFP to track my fiber. Now that I'm more aware of my sodium, I'm not sure the sodium's as much of a problem, since I also get well over my 8 glasses of water a day. IIFYM wants me shooting for 29-36g of Fiber per day, or 5-6g per meal (@6mealsperday) A perfect snack has been stirring 13g of Chia seeds (Better Body foods from Sam's club) into my Light 'n Fit yogurts (60 cal + 80 cal) and then throw in a 1/2 oz of raw nuts, and there's 5-7g right there. I take a plain psyllium drink most mornings, too, to there is 5g, plus since I stir it into 8 oz of water, and wash it down with another 8-16oz, there's 2-3 glasses of water out of the way, too! I agree that fat probably helps, and I have learned not to fear fat - (although most days I am still under my fat/carb macros). I was also pleased to realize the little extra fiber in my frozen blueberries for 18-20 cals per 1/4c. portion, and if I need an extra gram here or there, these Sweet Leaf stevia packets also have a gram. I do prefer to get it in through real food sources though, so now that I'm more aware, I hope not to need to take my fiber gummies as often. They have 5g, but again, I'm skeptical if that's really as good as 5g from whole food sources like fruits and veggies. The clementine I'm planning to bring to the pot-luck tonight has a gram, so I'll probably delete that extra stevia and keep hitting that 36g goal! Keep up the good work, and lots of luck pooping! lol
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    So I tried Chia seeds. To start, 1 tbsp in my yogurt, was a nice snack! :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I'm consistently over. It's the oatmeal with raisins and toasted almonds for breakfast, and then the salad with my lunch. By dinner, I forget to make salad or veggies for the family because I've already maxed out my fiber and personally don't need anymore. Whoops. They do!
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I never did until I started eating Quest bars.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I average 38g of fibre per day. I have never had a problem hitting my goal. I eat a predominantly vegetarian diet with occasional fish. My main sources of fibre: wholegrain bread, avocado, cereals and muesli, beans and lentils, wholemeal pasta, etc. All the people who don't meet their fibre goals -- what exactly does your diet consist of?!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    chia seeds, beans (legumes), and a lot of fresh fruits & vegetables. I strive to whatever mfp sets for my goal (and it fluctuates with my workouts); usually, about 30-40g per day.

my diary is open, but the last couple (few) days, I've been a little light on fiber (I don't worry much). also, we went to the local church's bazaar which equals some extra sugars in the form of candies, so you'll need to go back a little further (if you look) to get a realistic view.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I consistently do NOT get enough fiber in my diet. I know I can do better with my food planning to help but also considering using a supplement . What is your fiber goal, how do you eat/ingest enough?

most people get plenty enough fibre.

There seems to be a focus on insoluble fibre (the fibre you get from wheat - the 'whole fibre' kind). A small amount of this type of fibre can be beneficial and good sources for it are from green leafy veg, but it is more important to focus on soluble fibre, the type that ferments in you stomach as opposed to passing straight through and tearing to surface of your intestines (creating a mucus to help you pass that competition sized stool you get from whole fibre).

Soluble also feeds your gut flora and as a majority of your immune system is located near the gut, that's not a bad thing.

Also too much insoluble fibre can actually cause constipation issues!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Folks, you only need one cereal.

https://screen.yahoo.com/colon-blow-000000540.html
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I easily get 25-35g a day eating vegetables, having cacao powder and a little dark chocolate.. I rarely have fruit and don't supplement. No beans or lentils either. So it's very possible just by getting your carbs from veggies.