Replies

• celtic0ne
    celtic0ne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • jollyrj2
    jollyrj2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to lifting and decided to try out Jamie Eason's LiveFit as a guideline.

What I did was print out each exercise per week of her program. Then I went and googled images of each exercise. I actually printed off pics and typed notes. So now when I'm in the gym, I do carry a "cheat sheet" with me and a pencil. I pencil in how much weight I used and also, I do look at the pics to make sure that I'm doing the exercise properly.

I'm sure I get looks at the gym but I don't really care. I'm having fun doing it the way I feel the most comfortable.

Good luck!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    My problem with booking with a PT is that all the instructors are French (I live in France) but my French is really poor. I have googled free weight sessions - they tell you to do a this lift or a that lift but don't explain what these lifts mean

http://www.exrx.net/ has basic exercise how-tos, including videos. Youtube will also be a ton of help.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I started with stronglifts 5x5 because it's simple and doesn't require a ton of equipment, and the maker has a full video of himself doing both workouts (you alternate two workouts 3 times a week). It also has a handy phone app, and all the information is free.

Best thing to do is write down or print the program you choose, ten YouTube how to do the lifts with proper form, watch the videos and then practice with body weight. Start with the empty bar when your ready to go. :)
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I really like bodybuilding.com. Jamie Eason's Live Fit program is great! For each workout, each individual exercise is hyperlinked to a video that will show you how to perform the move. It's fabulous!!!

Agree with this. Bodybuilding.com is a great source. They have videos for every lift so you'll be able to learn proper form.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest Stronglifts 5x5 because that's what i did and i really liked it. There are lots of videos on the website to help with form, or you can also look at some Mark Rippetoe videos on YouTube and he does a fantastic job at explaining proper form and pointing out common mistakes. I've heard good things about NROLFW, but i've also heard that there was a little too much complication with it. Stronglifts and Starting Strength are stripped down programs. Excellent for starters.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I know this is a bit off topic but hopefully one of you can help

I bought the book TNRoLFW it is great and I printed off the workouts. I can do most of it at home but I was wondering does anyone know how I can do the squats with my barbell without a squat stand? I tried using the dumbbells that was ok but I would like to use the bar.....
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest Stronglifts 5x5 because that's what i did and i really liked it. There are lots of videos on the website to help with form, or you can also look at some Mark Rippetoe videos on YouTube and he does a fantastic job at explaining proper form and pointing out common mistakes. I've heard good things about NROLFW, but i've also heard that there was a little too much complication with it. Stronglifts and Starting Strength are stripped down programs. Excellent for starters.
    NROL4W is really confusing at first, but the MFP group breaks it down so well. I had no clue where to start, but the group helped me out. I think I might do Stronglifts once I finish NR.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

I bought the book TNRoLFW it is great and I printed off the workouts. I can do most of it at home but I was wondering does anyone know how I can do the squats with my barbell without a squat stand? I tried using the dumbbells that was ok but I would like to use the bar.....
    I'm not 100% sure, but you may need a spotter for that, and you probably won't get as heavy as you could with the added safety of the rack.

I'd suggest asking in the group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w They're very helpful there.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I wouldn't recommend it.
  • fitnesslovergirl
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    My problem with booking with a PT is that all the instructors are French (I live in France) but my French is really poor. I have googled free weight sessions - they tell you to do a this lift or a that lift but don't explain what these lifts mean

exrx.net has a lot of videos that show form
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I started with the New Rules of Lifting for Women, but found it was too difficult to corral all the equipment required at my gym. I switched to StrongLifts.

It really helps if you bring your smartphone to download the app to track your workout and if you need any refreshers on form or how to do an exercise, pull up a video on your phone.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options

Maybe try and practise telling a PT what you seek to achieve and that your French isn't great so would appreciate him showing you the exercises he recommends? That way you get the right advice - I know you won't learn the names etc but if you're in France I can't imagine you'll be chatting in English to the other gym go-ers :) haha.

:)
  • angied1226
    angied1226 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump......... Looking to start lifting because I hear of such great results
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    when I'm in the gym, I do carry a "cheat sheet" with me and a pencil. I pencil in how much weight I used and also, I do look at the pics to make sure that I'm doing the exercise properly.

I'm sure I get looks at the gym but I don't really care. I'm having fun doing it the way I feel the most comfortable.
    LOL. I do the same! I write down how many sets, I´ve been doing and at which weight. And made drawings and notes about the exercises. I would be helpless without my little notebook. LOL
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • NJ64a
    NJ64a Posts: 13
    Options
    Happy I come across this post. I just ordered myself a weight bench yesterday and picked up my barbell/dumbells tonight, as I don't have time to go to the gym so am training at home.

I have spent quite a few hours over the last few days researching lifting for women. Still a bit confuzzled but think I have a rough idea where to start. Although, what I have learned is that light weight and lots of reps are not the best thing for women to be doing, apparently.

On almost every site I visited it is recommended that women need to lift heavy (as they can manage without losing form), and less reps. I also learned that compound lifts are preferable to isolated lifts. I hope I am correct to be passing on this advice to you! Good luck with your lifting.