Oatmeal Recipes

Options
Folks! Please feel free to list all ways you eat your oatmeal! I only know the traditional cinnamon and sugar method and want to make something filling and low-cal.

Thanks!

Replies

• skinnyPharmGirl
    skinnyPharmGirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add cut up apples with cinnamon and raisins. Craisins are also delicious with apples! Some days I will cut up banana with maple syrup and pecans.
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I add an egg, fresh fruit and a little bit of skim milk
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I make 1/2 cup oatmeal, when cooked add 1T peanut butter, and 1 T chocolate protein powder. Never get hungry before lunch... I also add a dash of cinnamon..
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My basic 'formula' is 1/2 cup of oats, a pinch of salt, a teaspoon or so of brown sugar or maple syrup. That's my base, and anything else gets added after that.

At the moment, the additions are just a few tablespoons of nuts, or ground seeds, but lots of other things work well too. Some of those things have included blueberries, peanut butter, cinnamon, grated apple, apple sauce, and dried cranberries, although not all together at once, lol.

I think my favourite combo was my base oatmeal, with some cinnamon, a good dollop of apple sauce, a small grated apple, and a handful of dried cranberries :smile:
  • craftymommy
    craftymommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My favorite is chopping some almonds and cooking with the oats, then the other half of almonds whole on top. Sprinkle of cinnamon. A couple of chocolate chips.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I usually blend oatmeal in my smoothies, which are typically a blend of frozen strawberries and banana with yogurt and water or milk.
  • bikergirlalex
    Options
    Cinnamon and fresh apples on top
    Peanutbutter and banana
    Flax seed and sugar
    Pumpkin puree and spice

Or MAKE YUMMY NO BAKE COOKIES ;)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    oatmeal and water
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a chopped apple, some cinnamon, some stevia, then some almond butter added after it's cooked. So good.

I like pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice too (very good with some egg white as well), or just plain with hazelnut/chocolate butter or PB2.

It's pretty much the ones I go back to. I've tried mixed with protein powder but I'm disappointed every time.

If you're using old fashioned oats, you can grind them, add 6 egg whites, 90g of pumpkin and pumpkin spices and cook them like pancakes too... So good.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use organic Scottish stoneground oatmeal which in itself has bags of flavour. Steel cut would be your closest in the US, I think.

I soak the oatmeal overnight with a pinch of salt, bring to the boil next morning, stirring all the time. Reduce the heat for a couple of minutes, then serve with either a small teaspoon of muscovado sugar and about 50ml of whole milk, or I stir in a mashed banana and 1/2 tsp coconut oil.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal every morning. Actually can't function with out it!

I'm pretty into my routine though. I always make it with 1.2% milk. And I add either 1-2 teaspoons of strawberry jam, or I make up some applesauce and add that. The applesauce is my favourite but I'm usually too lazy to make it.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My oatmeal for lunch almost every day:
    1 cup (yeah, that much) of old-fashioned rolled oats with water (295 calories)
    2 tablespoons of Nestle Fat-Free Hot Chocolate (20 calories)
    1 egg white (17 calories)
    Assorted fruits, such as apples, raisins, kiwis (my absolute favourite), berries (~ 80 calories)

Keeps me full for at least 5 hours.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Overnight Oats -

Base:
    1/4 cup oats
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Add anything after that! Fruits, nuts, chocolate chips, protein powder etc. and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

I make mine in a mason jar and eat it for one meal for the next 3 days
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    theoatmealartist.com
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Baked oatmeal. <3 I keep trying different recipes online, but my favourite version is mixing 1/2 cup oats, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp currants, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a dash of salt. Then mix in 1/4 cup milk (I use sweetened soy milk) and a binder (I use a chia egg, but a real egg beaten separately, then added, would probably give it really nice texture). Then it bakes for 20 minutes or so, at 190 degrees C. I'm obsessed with trying a version in my head with the mixture poured over chopped fruit, with orange rind and chocolate chips in place of the raisins... the possibilities are endless!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    When i used to eat sugar, i liked nothing better than oats, pinch salt, water to cook the oats. On top went cold full cream milk and local honey. Nothing else was needed.

Now i don't eat sugar anymore so that means i don't eat honey either.

When i make oats now i can eat it cooked as above and with just plain milk but sometimes i added stewed prunes. All the sweetness in my life comes from fresh, or stewed fruit and sometimes a little dried fruit.

I am freed of my sugar addiction and i am so pleased for myself. Wish you could all enjoy the same freedom from hyper sweet food that i used to live with.

Yes i know, i sound smug and superior. But the truth is, i just wish everyone else could feel so free and enjoy the benefits that come with it. Today i watched a cooking competition show on tv called master chef. Three people had to cook this amazing chocolate dessert with 9 layers of different flavours and textures and really did look wonderful. It had everything going for it. I enjoyed watching it. But i did not feel i had to get up and go and eat something sweet and chocolatey like i would have in the past. Actually in the past, i would have been motivated to go and try to cook something sweet and chocolatey and then however it worked out, i would have eaten the whole lot. Thank god that's over is all i can say. I do not miss all that stuff.

But if i do want to eat it, there are safe occasions when i can eat like that so its not complete denial and i do not feel deprived in the least. I feel free and healthy. and happy. Oh and slim too now.
  • Mygsds
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    When i used to eat sugar, i liked nothing better than oats, pinch salt, water to cook the oats. On top went cold full cream milk and local honey. Nothing else was needed.

Now i don't eat sugar anymore so that means i don't eat honey either.

When i make oats now i can eat it cooked as above and with just plain milk but sometimes i added stewed prunes. All the sweetness in my life comes from fresh, or stewed fruit and sometimes a little dried fruit.

I am freed of my sugar addiction and i am so pleased for myself. Wish you could all enjoy the same freedom from hyper sweet food that i used to live with.

Yes i know, i sound smug and superior. But the truth is, i just wish everyone else could feel so free and enjoy the benefits that come with it. Today i watched a cooking competition show on tv called master chef. Three people had to cook this amazing chocolate dessert with 9 layers of different flavours and textures and really did look wonderful. It had everything going for it. I enjoyed watching it. But i did not feel i had to get up and go and eat something sweet and chocolatey like i would have in the past. Actually in the past, i would have been motivated to go and try to cook something sweet and chocolatey and then however it worked out, i would have eaten the whole lot. Thank god that's over is all i can say. I do not miss all that stuff.

But if i do want to eat it, there are safe occasions when i can eat like that so its not complete denial and i do not feel deprived in the least. I feel free and healthy. and happy. Oh and slim too now.

Why is this comment flagged??

• Mygsds
    Options
    Please don't think I'm rude, but isn't 1/2 cup of oatmeal the same calories no matter how much water you mix with it.. Sorry if this sounds questionable...
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I use steel cut oats. They taste a lot better. Then I add ground flax, walnut pieces and fresh or frozen berries. Tastes really good.