scale

Options
ok question everybody, My scale at home says I'm ten pounds lighter than the one at the gym. Either way it goes I have lost weight which scale would you believe. When I first started this journey in the middle of Feb I was ten pounds heavier on the scale at 24 Hour Fitness, then I decided I was going to stick to one scale at all times, so of course I went with my own. But this morning I was at the gym and I wanted to see what their scale said. According to their scale I have lost ten pounds, but it still makes me heavier than the scale at home. :smile:

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I would probably decide to go with the one at the gym, because I would assume it would be higher quality and more accurate then a typical home scale. I'd want to believe the one at home though lol
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I go with my clothes and try not to get hung up on the numbers. I work in a hospital, and you think those scales would be accurate. Much depends on how often they are checked and adjusted. Another thought- go with the one with the lower # ..LOL!!!:laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    To find out which one is correct, in terms of your actual weight, the next time you go to the doctor, just before you leave home. Weigh on your home scale EXACTLY as you will weigh at doctors office. You know, keys out of pocket, remove your watch and your shoes, same clothes...Don't eat or drink anything, or use the bathroom before you weigh at dr.'s office. Then compare that number to the one at the doctor's office. If your scale is off, you can adjust it so it matches the doctor's office scales' reading. I would believe the dr. 's offc scale before I would accept the reading from the gym scale. Heaven knows when it was last calibrated.

You know you have lost and that is what is important, but if you want that "number" to work from, the method described above will get it for you with a high degree of accuracy.

Good luck!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Do you have any weights at home? Like a 10lb dumbbell? If not, how about a sack of flour or sugar (like 5lbs). Put it on your scale at home and see what happens. It could be a calibration issue, like someone else mentioned, with your home scale. If you have body builders n such at your gym, I'd think it should be a good one there. But ya never know.

On a side note, remember that weight can be deceiving. Depending on what time you weighed at home vs the gym, your clothes, what you ate, bathroom habits can factor in. Plus, it doesn't give you the best reality of the progress you make. So, you might want to start measuring your waist etc and checking body fat in addition to the scale. It comes in handy for the times the scale is mean. :)
  • khillman77
    khillman77 Posts: 66
    Options
    great advice thanks everyone