What do you do when you go out to eat?

Options
Whenever I go out to eat with friends I never know what to get. Most places don't have the calorie count printed and that just freaks me out. What things are safe to order at restaurants?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Goggle there nutrition facts. My friend always does that during the cut phase.
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Look it up online or ask for the nutrion info. Some menus have low cal options but if not then just ball park it. Baked chicken with veggies is usually a safe bet. One day usually won't hurt but if your eating out all the time it could be an issue.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever and whenever I want... I just work it off.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I always check out the menu online before I go out. Most restaurants will have them. If not, you're pretty safe if you order protein (chicken, steak, pork) with veggies and/or salad with a vinegrette type dressing (not a creamy one). I live in a small town, and at every restaurant I have my "thing" to eat. For example shoeless Joe's I always order their steak and goat cheese salad. Kelsey's is their sanoma salad and their Thai soup. East Side Mario's is all you can eat soup and salad. In the less "chainy" restaurants I might get a BLT on whole wheat with some sweet potato fries. I always check out the restaurant online, then log what I plan on eating before I even go, so that I stay accountable. When I get to the restaurant, I don't even open the menu, so that I'm not tempted...Hope this helps...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out often, so I just enjoy myself. As a general rule of thumb, a restaurant serving is on average about 2 or more servings...so if I ate out regularly, I would likely opt to eat about 1/2 of what was on my plate and box up the rest. My wife and I sometimes split entrees too...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    ugh. restaurants are a nightmare. It's so hard to stay the course, running this gauntlet of grease and sugar and calories while everyone around you stuffs their faces on junk that they clearly don't need. If possible, a garden salad with low cal dressing on the side. Some grilled chicken if they have it. or a vegetable plate (nothing fried or with sauce). Cut food in tiny bites, eat super slow, drink lots of water.... get coffee instead of dessert. Avoid bread basket and/or appetizers. It helps to have an apple and a cup of low cal soup before going out so that you aren't starving and end up bingeing and being miserable later.

I avoid going to restaurants whenever I can because for one thing it costs money which I really can't afford, and.... fat and calories out the wazoo!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Since I don't eat out that often, I get whatever I want guilt free and without worry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I avoid stuff with sauces or fried foods, pretty much.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the restaurants that I can eat out with a 2 year old and 4 year old all pretty much have nutrition content. When I get the rare night out with friends I eat whatever I like. The last time my best girlfriend and I were able to ditch kids I totally ate Irish Nachos...kettle chips with like 4 different kinds of melted cheese and bacon...so good. And I washed it down with some craft beer.
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I go for grilled entrees like chicken, or salads with dressing on the side. At least with those I feel like I can estimate what I am consuming. Sometimes I will even ask the server to confirm the meat weight.

Warning on salads: most restaurants put a TON of calorie-adds on there like cheese and crutons. If you are focused on counting make sure to exclude these when you order.

Or, like other posters have mentioned, I will workout in the morning in anticipation of the calorie load and order whatever.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    i dont eat out often so when i do, i normally eat sensibly but i eat the foods i want.
  • hello_momo
    hello_momo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat out regularly, i say it's ok to splurge a little as far as the type of entree.. just cut it in half and box up the rest to-go. i'd hate to spend money on something like baked chicken & veggies when it's something i'd likely make at home. plus they add all types of extra things to entrees you'd think would be otherwise healthy, like butter and salt! on a side note, i remember looking up Red Robin's nutrition facts and i saw they add butter to the burger patty and to the bun. No wonder their burgers are extra tasty! So my rule of thumb is to just cut my entree in half and avoid the bread basket LOL
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If I know in advance which restaurant we are going to, I see if the meals and calories are listed online and make up my mind what I will order in advance.

As a general rule, stay away from anything fried, anything in a creamy sauce and anything heavy in starch. Feel free to ask to substitute a sweet potato or a baked potato for mashed potatos. Any salad is fine but get the dressing on the side, especially if creamy or sweet. Salad items to be wary of: croutons, seeds/nuts, dried fruits. All of those are dense in calories. Avoid the rolls or breadsticks offered before dinner.

Then I just add each item and the approximate size since I've gotten good at eyeballing volumes/serving sizes. It's easier if you stick to dishes that don't have a lot of ingredients or simple ingredients. It's all just guesswork anyway - even just a banana calories vary from one to the other so we're just working with averages.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    What things are safe to order at restaurants?

The safe thing to do is not go out to restaurants, because they generally do not serve healthy food. Case in point, a typical lunch at Chili's added up to 1,400 calories, which is worse than McDonalds considering I was choosing what appeared to be healthy foods (baked chicken).

My point is don't go out eating at restaurants if you're trying to be healthy.

When I think about eating out, it's sushi or pizza. But I rarely do that.

Seriosly? that's complete hoseremalarky.

I eat out at least 2x a week. I'm neither fat- nor have I ever been- I work out 3 times a week and attend at least 3-4 dance classes a week and I work 3 jobs.

Having some situational awareness of the foods you are consuming and preparing in advance of your consumption goes a long way.

If you regularly don't eat out- and this is a special occasion- don't worry about it. Seriously- one night won't derail you- enjoy the time out- chose wisely- but don't make yourself crazy.

If you eat out once or twice a month- It's easy to save 50-200 calories a day up in advance for a few days and give yourself some buffer room in terms of deficit.

If you eat out regularly (like me) schedule and work around it. My BF is only here 2x a week- 9/10 we go out to eat at LEAST once- and often times it's to high end- steak/allyou can eat Brazillian places- we are steak snobs- I'm not going to be picky when I'm there.

If I know that's where we are going- I typically log some extra cardio and I typically eat very light all day the day of said meal.

If I don't know that's where we are going- I will usually skip one meal or a snack- and leave about 1000 calories for dinner and wing it.

But just saying don't eat out b/c it is unhealthy is rubbish.

It CAN be unhealthy- and it can set you back if you don't exercise some situational awareness and some self discipline- but dining out regularly is perfectly reasonable and doable.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    What things are safe to order at restaurants?

The safe thing to do is not go out to restaurants, because they generally do not serve healthy food. Case in point, a typical lunch at Chili's added up to 1,400 calories, which is worse than McDonalds considering I was choosing what appeared to be healthy foods (baked chicken).

My point is don't go out eating at restaurants if you're trying to be healthy.

When I think about eating out, it's sushi or pizza. But I rarely do that.

This is not helpful advice at all. Everyone here needs to live a normal life - and going out to eat in social settings is part of normal life.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I eat anything. But I usually only finish half, box up the other half and eat it for another meal. :smile:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    ..... I'm starting to actually be glad that I'm poor. If I had to deal with restaurants more than like once every 3 or 4 months I would go mad and probably be the size of a house. I remember the last time I was out, I think it was August, and I ordered a vegetable omelette, no cheese or anything. When I got home I looked on their web site to see how many calories it was. IT WAS 800 CALORIES for a plain vegetable omelette and no it did not look gigantic or seem greasy or anything. I have no idea how they manage to jam so much fat into things that look healthy and are advertised as healthy. It's like a mine field!
  • Jamess8300
    Options
    I hate going to restraunts, or eating anything where I can't weigh my food and know its nutritional facts. My collegues and I always go to chineese once a month (all you can eat), and tbh they just provide rubbish, carbohydrates everywhere on everything and its an absolute nightmare for me. So all I do is grab a small plate and have 6 mini (about the size of our small finger). But I take 3 at one time then 3 the next, so i don't finish way before them. When you go out I suggest just minimizing as much as you can, such as keeping to a salad (very low calories) with no sauce, however i wouldnt choose this option, or go for a protein/fat meal which you can eat without sauce, which i try do as there are more calories which means i can eat less later in the day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I order everything that sounds good on the menu, eat it and then deal with the consequences at a later date
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Sadly, since I started this I've avoided going out to eat. Which sucks and I miss it terribly.

That being said - the 2 times that I ate out where it was unavoidable I had grilled fish and veggies. Didn't eat the bread and had a lite beer.

Chain restaurants have the nutrician information listed on their websites, but your typical family/mom & pop restaurant doesn't. So if that's the case, just avoid anything fried or battered, watch your portions and don't stuff yourself too much.