Gym etiquette questions?

Options
13»

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    One more follow-up question - if you are doing deadlifts or barbell rows, can you just take the bar from one of the benches where it is sitting to go somewhere else to do them? I think my gym has one bar that just sits on the ground off to the side, but as it is only one, it's often in use, even at 5 AM when I go. Can I just take my bench press bar after I'm done doing the bench, do my deadlifts in front of the bench, and then put it back? I guess if I'm going to still just use that bench to sit on to rest between sets, I'm still just using the same equipment anyway, right?

Huh... I didn't realize this was a concern. :ohwell: I just started lifting last week, and I go to the local rec center's fitness place so it's not usually busy, but I just take the benching bar for my deadlifts.
    We have some smaller bars that sit on the ground, but since they're not as long as a bench or squat bar, I wasn't sure of the weight of the bar itself. That's why I took the bench barbell. I know it's 45lbs so I know what I'm lifting. Question to people who have lifted longer than me: any idea what the small bars would weigh?

I would guess 20 lb (seems to be a common weight for non-Olympic-style bars), but you could ascertain this by weighing yourself with and without the bar on the gym scale. Could be anywhere between 10 and 25, really.
    Thanks! I don't know where there's a scale in the fitness center. I assume in the locker room since there isn't one out on the main floor, but I've never been in there. I'll check it out. Hopefully the employees don't think I'm trying to steal the bar. :laugh:
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I don't know where there's a scale in the fitness center. I assume in the locker room since there isn't one out on the main floor, but I've never been in there. I'll check it out. Hopefully the employees don't think I'm trying to steal the bar. :laugh:
    You could always ask?

Most gyms have these people that your paying for with your membership fees that can answer questions. I know people don't want to look like they don't know what they are doing but if you don't it's a lot better to ask what your gym polices are then to be doing the wrong thing.
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One more follow-up question - if you are doing deadlifts or barbell rows, can you just take the bar from one of the benches where it is sitting to go somewhere else to do them? I think my gym has one bar that just sits on the ground off to the side, but as it is only one, it's often in use, even at 5 AM when I go. Can I just take my bench press bar after I'm done doing the bench, do my deadlifts in front of the bench, and then put it back? I guess if I'm going to still just use that bench to sit on to rest between sets, I'm still just using the same equipment anyway, right?

Definitely don't do this.You can take the bench press bar for deadlift, sure, but do it away from the bench. Sitting down on a bench between sets is a pretty big no no as it prevents someone else from using it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Huh... I didn't realize this was a concern. :ohwell: I just started lifting last week, and I go to the local rec center's fitness place so it's not usually busy, but I just take the benching bar for my deadlifts.
    We have some smaller bars that sit on the ground, but since they're not as long as a bench or squat bar, I wasn't sure of the weight of the bar itself. That's why I took the bench barbell. I know it's 45lbs so I know what I'm lifting. Question to people who have lifted longer than me: any idea what the small bars would weigh?

The womans bar weighs 35lbs and is about a foot shorter and a little thinner. Any other bar, you'd have to weigh. I've seen really little practice bars that were only 15lbs too.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Definitely don't do this.You can take the bench press bar for deadlift, sure, but do it away from the bench. Sitting down on a bench between sets is a pretty big no no as it prevents someone else from using it.

I don't see this being a problem. If he's using the bar from the bench what else would they use the bench for?
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i more or less agree with everything else, except for #4.

i usually train with a big group so working in is a given. if im at a commercial gym i usually need longer rest breaks than the average punter so am more than happy for people to work in.

you can test this out - if you are waiting for a bar just ask how many sets they have left. if someone offers for you to work in, go for it. its a great way to meet potential training partners or have a spotter at the ready. if not, fine, you can wait. if you were really pushed for time you could always ask to work in, but i probably wouldnt recommend making a habit of inviting yourself.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Its very easy to change weights on machines and swap with someone (usually its just a metal peg on a stack) but on free weights like the bench and squat rack its a pain in the *kitten* and you're better off waiting until the person has finished all their sets.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As per username_miss, I tend to take fairly long breaks, so plenty of time to swap weights - if anyone asks how many sets I've got left I always offer the use of it between mine.
    Won't be doing much else in my rest at a commercial gym (at my own setup I'll be working probably, thus letting my friend using it for free do it :) ).