Pregnant

Options
So I know some might get a lil peeved at me but read it all before you judge.

I've been using "my fitness pal" for a few years now. Along with a heAlthier diet then I've ever had in my life. In that time I've gone from a size 24 to a size 8 and dropped and kept off almost 80 pounds. Well when I got pregnant I stopped using the app because I didn't want people in my life getting upset with me over "obsessing over my weight". In my second trimester I started losing weight. I wasn't eating enough.

So I figured downloaded the app and keep track of my intake. At first I did get the reaction I feared but after explaining that it was helping me keep track so I eat enough to help me keep both me and the baby healthy. They understood. My husband is a health nut and after logging for a week we noticed the only time I'm getting enough calories is when I eat fast food with my sister.

My question is how can I get those high calorie intake in a healthier way?

I can eat lots carrot sticks and still not get the calories I need.

Replies

• tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you are only trying to fit in your calories it really doesn't matter where they are from to be honest. But being pregnant I understand you want "healthier calories" in general.

Peanut butter is a good source that is high in calories and protein
    Nuts in general
    Do some baking at home... I make banana bread which really doesnt have many BAD stuff in it, but is high in calories.
    Dark Chocolate - good for you and tastes good!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    If I may add to what tracymay01 already mentioned:
    -avocado
    -fatty fish like salmon (once a week is fine when pregnant)
    -greek yogurt
    -cheese

all higher in calories but very nutritious and good for your health and baby's development.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Both posters above have great advice. Your baby needs fats for the brain and calcium for his/her bones. I'm sure you already know carrot sticks are not high in calories so I am not sure why that is your example. Change carrots to almonds and you'll be fine.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi -

Congratulations on expecting a baby!

It's crucial to your baby's lifelong health that you eat plenty of nutritious foods during pregnancy without being concerned about your weight. Larger babies do better during birth and throughout their lives, and your body needs some extra fat in order to handle labor and delivery well. ( I'm a certified childbirth educator, so this topic is a familiar one for me.)

This is the one time in your life that you absolutely need to pay attention to which nutrients you are taking in. It's not just a question of calories.

You need plenty of protein -- buy various kinds of meats and broil or roast them if you're not into doing much cooking. Those supermarket pre-cooked whole roasted chickens are great. Eggs are good, too, and fish now and then. Nuts are also super-healthy and have plenty of calories. You also need calcium and all the other nutrients in dairy products, so eat full-fat yogurt and cheese and milk. Dried beans, leafy green vegies, a variety of other fruits and vegetables. Whole-grain breads. Brown rice. Oatmeal. Not too much white bread, cake, cookies, soda or sugary cereals because during pregnancy it's all about feeding your baby. Everything you put in your mouth right now is part of the job of parenting.

Also, it's a good idea to take a prenatal vitamin - mineral supplement to make sure the baby is getting all the micronutrients that he or she needs for proper development.

Happy pregnancy to you and your husband!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the baby! I'm no doctor, and you should probably consult with yours. But here are some healthy high calorie foods I wish I could eat more of all the time: nuts, peanut butter, dates, dark chocolate, lean proteins, eggs, and brown rice. There are also some decent bars out there that are packed with nutrients and higher in calories. Some are 90%+ organic and very unprocessed. My favs are not perfect, but they are: Cliff, Lara, and Quest. I love them for crazy weekends or when traveling. Easy way to get calories and they are tasty.
  • Hischell30
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    If I may add to what tracymay01 already mentioned:
    -avocado
    -fatty fish like salmon (once a week is fine when pregnant)
    -greek yogurt
    -cheese

all higher in calories but very nutritious and good for your health and baby's development.

Yep cheese is part of my all day snacking, I usually have the Greek yogurt a few times a week, and same with the avocado mixed in our salads. Along with the peanut butter but in my family there is a very high risk of diabetes so we avoid processed sugars and carbs.

It and heart disease was one of the reasons I decided to lose the weight. I have a sister who's 5 years older them me who at the age of 40 had a heart attack. Then another by 42 had a triple bypass. So I looked at my life and my then 4 month old son and decided I want to see him marry. I want to be paty of my grand childrens lives. I'm mexican and with traditional cooking background with lots of "manteca" which is lard. My now husband was my trainer when I started my journey he helped me in soooo many areas in my life, from cooking and work-outs to all the emotional baggage I was carrying with me as well. I was 234 only 5 feet tall at the age of 36.

Lol I wrote all that to explain why "NO SUGAR".

Anyway I do have most of the suggestions in my diet but with a baby in there I can only eat so much & I snack almost every 2 hours.
  • katem78
    katem78 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the new baby!!!!
    When i got pregnant and i found out i had twins i freaked out! what scared me the most was becoming too fat and remaining fat after the pregnancy! The suggestions i got from my DC was that it doesn't matter if i have one or two babies, the diet is the same. Avoid carbs (i ate pasta only 6 times in during the pregnancy)-pasta,bread etc, eat fruits and vegetable (which make you feel full), eat protein (chicken and lots of egg whites).
    I almost changed nothing in my diet, i was eating like before (protein,fruits, vegetables etc) i was drinking A LOT of water and i was walking at least one hour/day (even the day before giving birth. Oh...and a very good advice that helped me, i tried not to eat after 7pm in the evening .
    i gained 12 kgs (i am 1.80cm tall)-my doctor didn't even bother to put me on the scale and after 10 days of giving birth i had lost 15! i was like i hadn't been pregnant!!

So my advice is: avoid carbs,sweets,junk food (if you want once or twice it's ok)... eat whole wheat food, eat fruits, vegetable, protein , egg whites help a lot, nuts, dark chocolate for your sweet cravings and if you are allowed WALK!!!

Good luck!!
  • Hischell30
    Options
    penny0919 wrote: »
    Both posters above have great advice. Your baby needs fats for the brain and calcium for his/her bones. I'm sure you already know carrot sticks are not high in calories so I am not sure why that is your example. Change carrots to almonds and you'll be fine.

I know and yes I eat more then carrots. I was using to show that I'm trying to eat healthy.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant and had trouble gaining weight, my doctor had me start supplementing what I was already eating with Carnation Instant Breakfast packets.
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    while pregnant I would focus less on calories and more on your nutrients. Eat often! Even if you dont think you're hungry have a small snack. When I was pregnant I swear I always had a carrot stick or some kind of fruit in my hand!
  • Hischell30
    Options
    katem78 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the new baby!!!!
    When i got pregnant and i found out i had twins i freaked out! what scared me the most was becoming too fat and remaining fat after the pregnancy! The suggestions i got from my DC was that it doesn't matter if i have one or two babies, the diet is the same. Avoid carbs (i ate pasta only 6 times in during the pregnancy)-pasta,bread etc, eat fruits and vegetable (which make you feel full), eat protein (chicken and lots of egg whites).
    I almost changed nothing in my diet, i was eating like before (protein,fruits, vegetables etc) i was drinking A LOT of water and i was walking at least one hour/day (even the day before giving birth. Oh...and a very good advice that helped me, i tried not to eat after 7pm in the evening .
    i gained 12 kgs (i am 1.80cm tall)-my doctor didn't even bother to put me on the scale and after 10 days of giving birth i had lost 15! i was like i hadn't been pregnant!!

So my advice is: avoid carbs,sweets,junk food (if you want once or twice it's ok)... eat whole wheat food, eat fruits, vegetable, protein , egg whites help a lot, nuts, dark chocolate for your sweet cravings and if you are allowed WALK!!!

Good luck!!

Thank you, what you've described is pretty much how I eat. I had again 10 lbs by the 6 month mark but then this last month lost 4 of the 10. My work I'm not usually on my feet but I do have two dogs I walk everyday and lots off running around that I do. I'm currently at a 2050 calorie intake goal. Almost never reach it.

That's the reason I've lost weight.
  • Hischell30
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful information and advice.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Another thing, too, talk to your doctor, and check on things. I lost 30lbs while I was pregnant. I wasn't trying to lose weight, wasn't restricting food or anything by any means, but Savannah pretty much took everything from me. If you are eating healthy, and your baby is growing- if he or she if hitting it's marks, heart looks good and growth is in the upper percentiles, your doctor may tell you not to be concerned about a loss of weight. So, just check in with him/her, and find out, and just keep eating the best you can. You've gotten some great advice above! Best wishes for a healthy and happy 9 months!
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Dip those carrots in some hummus!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hummus
    Nut butters
    Seeds
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dark chocolate
    Full fat cheese
    Full fat yoghurt
    Hard boiled eggs (for snacks)
    Bananas(go very nicely mashed in with greek yoghurt)
    Cocoa

Try and fit in a snack before bed if it does not impact your sleep or give you acid reflux, or a hot chocolate drink. I tend to have a piece of fruit and cheese or an egg before bed.

Congrats on the pregnancy.
  • Hischell30
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »
    Another thing, too, talk to your doctor, and check on things. I lost 30lbs while I was pregnant. I wasn't trying to lose weight, wasn't restricting food or anything by any means, but Savannah pretty much took everything from me. If you are eating healthy, and your baby is growing- if he or she if hitting it's marks, heart looks good and growth is in the upper percentiles, your doctor may tell you not to be concerned about a loss of weight. So, just check in with him/her, and find out, and just keep eating the best you can. You've gotten some great advice above! Best wishes for a healthy and happy 9 months!

For my height I was at a good weight and size before I got pregnant. Actually the healthiest I've been my whole life. My Dr was the one who gave me the calorie goal and suggested I keep track.
    Our son is a week and 3 days further along in size then he needs be, however his father is 6' 2" 185 lbs. We had our first internal ultra sound at 12 weeks. That determined his due date it moved up by two weeks at the time.

I only have 10 weeks left, Woohooo. As I was looking at the goal today, I'm short over 9000 calories do far this week. - 600 for Friday, Saturday and Sunday assuming I hit the goal those days. I'm still sorry 3000 for the week. Almost 430 a day. Which puts me at the the normal intake instead of pregnancy goal.
  • Hischell30
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Hummus
    Nut butters
    Seeds
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dark chocolate
    Full fat cheese
    Full fat yoghurt
    Hard boiled eggs (for snacks)
    Bananas(go very nicely mashed in with greek yoghurt)
    Cocoa

Try and fit in a snack before bed if it does not impact your sleep or give you acid reflux, or a hot chocolate drink. I tend to have a piece of fruit and cheese or an egg before bed.

Congrats on the pregnancy.

Omg in a Nutshell that was perfect.
    Thank you
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Ive had 3 babies and breast fed them. I craved junk food so bad I made my own healthy interpretations of fast food so it fitted cravings and yet was healthy for us both. Wishing you well in your pregnancy.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hischell30 wrote: »
    Miss_1999 wrote: »

For my height I was at a good weight and size before I got pregnant. Actually the healthiest I've been my whole life. My Dr was the one who gave me the calorie goal and suggested I keep track.
    Our son is a week and 3 days further along in size then he needs be, however his father is 6' 2" 185 lbs. We had our first internal ultra sound at 12 weeks. That determined his due date it moved up by two weeks at the time.

I only have 10 weeks left, Woohooo. As I was looking at the goal today, I'm short over 9000 calories do far this week. - 600 for Friday, Saturday and Sunday assuming I hit the goal those days. I'm still sorry 3000 for the week. Almost 430 a day. Which puts me at the the normal intake instead of pregnancy goal.

Ok, that's what I was making sure with. I know sometimes they'll just tell you what foods to avoid (All Dr. Hinton did was give me a handout with the foods that you COULDN'T eat while you were pregnant, and things that helped with morning sickness) but I never really got a calorie goal or guideline, so I just tried my best going by what I found recommended by the NHI

nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000584.htm

They've got some pretty good stuff here, as far as giving you ideas on some things to eat- it helped me with figuring out what food groups to try to get in daily.

That's good your little one is measuring on the larger side! Savannah did, too. My husband is 6'6, and I'm 5'8, so we *figured* she would probably be bigger. I gave birth at 38 1/2 weeks (went into labor naturally) and she was 21 inches long and 7lbs 8ozs. Had I made it a full 40 weeks she would've been huge.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and apples. Dip your carrots in hummus. Chocolate.