Protein shakes...but I don't have a blender.

Options
brimingus
brimingus Posts: 66 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
So protein suggestions? Bars, shakes, whatever. Or maybe simple food. I don't really eat breakfast so that's why I try and throw a protein shake in there. And I know NOTHING about nutrition or what protein options are out there as far as powder or ready-made goes.

I see a lot of recipes that needs blenders but that's just not an option for me.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what's the question?

and why does it have to do anything with a blender? I own a blender- I never use it. I own 2 shaker cups with blender balls- I use one of the balls maybe once or twice a month.

Are you asking if you should get different protein or what? I'm really confused.

put your milk/water/almond milk/soy whatever in a mason jar.
    put scoop of protein.
    close lid.
    shake vigorously.
    drink.
    no plastic
    no lumps of protein.

If you put the protein in first- and then the liquid- you'll get chunky protein drink- even with a blender ball.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If you want to go the protein powder route, a simple way is powder and milk or water (I like sweetened vanilla almond milk personally) in a shaker cup. I'm a fan of the blender, though, and like to add bananas and other fruit.

Honestly, though, you can get those 23g protein from real food sources pretty easily--a 4 oz chicken breast, a pouch of tuna, etc.
  • brimingus
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm definitely trying to stick more with the shake option for breakfast.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Put your protein powder in oatmeal? I wouldn't even bother with shakes without a blender... just buy one. There are some that cost less than $20 (granted, they won't blend everything perfectly, but it's good enough).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I drink protein powder mixed with either water or milk. Pour both in container with lid and shake. Then drink.

This is the bottle I picked up from the grocery store for about $3:
    rubbermaid-16oz.jpg
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If the reason you don't have a blender is price, I see at least 2-3 blenders each visit to Goodwill. They might not be the newest and best, but they generally do blend for just a couple of bucks.

If the reason is space, etc, then look into milk, oatmeal, blender cups, etc.
  • brimingus
    Options
    The reason I don't own a blender is not price. I just recently started working out and being healthier. Buyer a blender at this point for me would be pointless because it will just be another thing I have to move out of my apartment and store when I leave for the Peace Corps.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    If you put the protein in first- and then the liquid- you'll get chunky protein drink- even with a blender ball.

WHAT?! I love you--you just gave me the secret of life! Seriously, I always put the protein in first and always have lumps!!! I will be adding protein second from now on.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I buy protein drinks from Costco. Premier protein. No mixing, just drink
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I bought a Hamilton Beech Personal Blender from Walmart for $15.00 - works great for blending fresh fruit smoothies and protein shakes.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    If you want easy, go with bars. They're pricier than powders though, but powders are not as convenient.
    I eat a variety of protein bar brands. Quest is good but are kind of stupidly expensive even with their fake sale/discount, and not that easy to find (I purchase them online, and cringe every time I order them), Pure Protein bars are much less expensive and available at Wal Mart and elsewhere.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    MY only choice of Protein Supplement is Whey isolate sourced form New Zealand... (google the "why" for yourself. Protein "powder" (whey protein) can be added to a glass or cup and stirred with just water... or you can add milk, chocolate milk, heck.. try it with tequila... OR you can buy a "shaker cup" .. YOU can also add the powder to things like oatmeal... any baked goods you make yourself... WHY protein Powder.. it is a quck and easy supplement.. it digests and absorbs into the system quickly and aids in the repair of torn muscle fibers.. IT also helps you feel "full" longer and has shown to help increase muscle mass and reduce body fat... studies have also shown it to improve the body's insulin production important to type II diabetics... or folks that are "Pre-diabetic" of course if you are getting enough protein there's NO reason to add protein supplements... it's a choice... NOT a requirement.
  • brimingus
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    MY only choice of Protein Supplement is Whey isolate sourced form New Zealand... (google the "why" for yourself. Protein "powder" (whey protein) can be added to a glass or cup and stirred with just water... or you can add milk, chocolate milk, heck.. try it with tequila... OR you can buy a "shaker cup" .. YOU can also add the powder to things like oatmeal... any baked goods you make yourself... WHY protein Powder.. it is a quck and easy supplement.. it digests and absorbs into the system quickly and aids in the repair of torn muscle fibers.. IT also helps you feel "full" longer and has shown to help increase muscle mass and reduce body fat... studies have also shown it to improve the body's insulin production important to type II diabetics... or folks that are "Pre-diabetic" of course if you are getting enough protein there's NO reason to add protein supplements... it's a choice... NOT a requirement.

This was super helpful! Thank you! I'm definitely not getting enough protein and I want to try and change that but can't necessarily always EAT more protein. I'm trying to get in the habit of shakes/powders because where I'm going, I'm going to need to be innovative on where I can get my protein. (No refrigeration, no running water, no electricity, and meat is for "rich" people).
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

^^This...I live by these shakes!!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Can't you just go to Walmart and pick up a blender? They're not expensive.

ETA: sorry - I didn't see your post about going off the grid. My bad!
  • brimingus
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Haha. It's pretty easy for me to see that most people don't READ before they post! Please see my above comment about the fact that I'm leaving the country and a blender will be pointless! It is NOT an option! Where I'm going, there isn't even electricity. :)
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I love those drinks! They remind me of milkshakes.

OP, I understand that you can't get a blender and that's cool. If you have a Costco membership, these premade shakes are awesome. I've seen them in chocolate and vanilla.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    brimingus wrote: »
    Haha. It's pretty easy for me to see that most people don't READ before they post! Please see my above comment about the fact that I'm leaving the country and a blender will be pointless! It is NOT an option! Where I'm going, there isn't even electricity. :)

Well, then, if you are going tribal for a long, long time, then just kill whatever flies, swims, or crawls. Grubs are decent. If you're just going for a while, like camping, then protein shaker, some pure protein bars, maybe.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    She is saying that she doesn't want to buy a blender because she's moving out of the country and doesn't want another thing to put into storage.