Women out there with firm, flat tummies...

Options
astrose00
astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Can you tell me what weight you got to when you lost the last bit of fat in your abdominals? I've gotten as low as 150lbs with a lot of lean muscle but my stomach, while mostly flat, still wasn't super tight. My goal weight is 140lbs (or perhaps 135lbs.) and I'm hoping I will have that bikini belly by then. I'm what "they" call pear-shaped so most of my weight is in my hips/thighs.

Please give your stats. I'm 5'8" with a naturally small/medium upper body and larger lower body. I recall a trainer, years ago, told me if I dropped 20lbs (I was in the 150s at the time) I would have a really lean, muscular body. I am more muscular than I was then now so I'm thinking 140 will do it.

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    To have a firm stomach, you need to be at a low body fat percentage. If you are not lifting, then you are definitely not as muscular or lean as you think you are. You could weigh 140 and be skinny fat without a firm stomach.

I am also pear shaped; I am 5'9" and weigh between 145 and 150lbs. I have not measured my BF lately, but last time I checked I was around 16-17%.
  • astrose00
    Options
    Thanks.

I do lift weight. I love it. Have done so for 20+ years and swear by it. I work my legs very hard because I'm bigger on the bottom. But my upper body gets plenty of attention as well. Before I lifted weights, in college, I was about 135lbs and had the same mostly flat but not firm stomach. I wore a juniors size 9/10. Years later, I started following a bodybuilders diet and worked out smarter (I actually was overtraining previously and not allowing my muscles time to rest and my diet was atrocious). I wound up at 150ls and in a size 8 and some size 6. I forget what my bodyfat was at that time (maybe 20%). But I was much smaller than I was when I was 15lbs lighter. So I am wondering if with more lean mass and a weight of 135-140lbs, I will get that firm stomach. Or, said another way, if I will achieve that bodyfat percentage you referred to. Just trying to get a idea, from others of similar stature but lower bodyfat, what weight the lower bodyfat was achieved at. And said yet another way, at what weight would a 5'8" woman with low bodyfat and lean mass achieve a flat firm stomach?
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am really glad that you lift! It is frustrating being pear-shaped. I have been trying to get leaner so I can see some definition in my legs, but I am not sure it will ever happen. :'(

I don't think there is an answer to your last question, because it will be different for everyone. One person's pear shaped body might have a firm stomach at 20% BF, another might need to be down at 17%. You just have to determine when you are happy with how you look.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and my abs show really well at 175 pounds. I am a competitive bodybuilder and my stage weight is about 165 pounds.
  • astrose00
    Options
    I am really glad that you lift! It is frustrating being pear-shaped. I have been trying to get leaner so I can see some definition in my legs, but I am not sure it will ever happen. :'(

I don't think there is an answer to your last question, because it will be different for everyone. One person's pear shaped body might have a firm stomach at 20% BF, another might need to be down at 17%. You just have to determine when you are happy with how you look.

I'm a numbers person (actually a mathematician by trade, lol) so I am OCDing on what my ultimate goal weight will be. I definitely know it could change. My midsection doesn't protrude when I'm in shape but it seems to be the last thing to truly lean out and I've never gotten all the way there. I love looking at figure and fitness models and dream of a physique like that. I do love my legs and buns, though. Those are the moneymakers, lol. I was a 34A/B when I was at 150lbs so my lower body is what does it for me. That's why I work it so hard and am not afraid to lift heavy (upper or lower).

I guess it's just genetics. Once I get back to where I was before (150ish) I am going to hire a trainer that specializes in working with figure/fitness to help me get the rest of the way to my goal. So I guess I don't necessarily have a goal weight but a goal "look" or bodyfat %. I'm just not sure what that bodyfat percentage will or should me. I'm guessing no higher than 18%. But we'll see.
  • astrose00
    edited November 2014
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm 5'9" and my abs show really well at 175 pounds. I am a competitive bodybuilder and my stage weight is about 165 pounds.

You look great. I think I viewed your profile a few weeks back. Prior to achieving a BB physique was your stomach defined/flat? What was your lowest weight/BF% prior to BB?

I think my midsection will be the last thing on me to lean out. When the time comes, I need to seek out a professional trainer to help me. Until then, I have a ton of fat to shed...