Calorie range

Options
So I am eating a little less than 1200 calories a day... I'm not trying to eat less but sometimes I just cant fit anymore. But every weight loss calculator i'm finding says I need to eat around 2000 calories a day... i'm going from 316-150 any advice as to how much I should eat... my first week of weight loss was a BIG one but ever since it's been super slow... am I not eating enough?

Replies

• legowrangler
    legowrangler Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just calculated my TDEE.. it's 3,025!!!!! What??? so i'm supposed to eat 2525 calories a day?
  • yuiconnor
    Options
    I would say eat at least 1200 a day and see how your body feels. Since your TDEE is 3000+, you can easily hit 2000 if you want and still lose weight. Are you doing any exercises? :)
  • legowrangler
    Options
    I have been eating around 1200 a day and I feel amazing and people are saying it looks like i'm losing weight but the scale hasn't moved much. I am doing Couch to 5 k for exercise and I also work out at my desk at work
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    What do you define as a "super slow" loss and how long have you been going? But I think 1200 is probably too low if your TDEE is over 3000. Mine is around 2400 and I have 1400 calories at the moment to aim for a 2lb/week loss. Will be upping to 1900 soon when I'm ready to slow down to 1lb/week.

Anyway... I can't see your diary, but I'm guessing your diet is probably low in fats if you feel you can't physically eat more? Try increasing your healthy fats, it's the quickest way to add calories since they're dense foods.
  • legowrangler
    Options
    so I just reweighed myself and I guess my weight was off this morning cause it appears I lost more :smiley:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So I am eating a little less than 1200 calories a day... I'm not trying to eat less but sometimes I just cant fit anymore. But every weight loss calculator i'm finding says I need to eat around 2000 calories a day... i'm going from 316-150 any advice as to how much I should eat... my first week of weight loss was a BIG one but ever since it's been super slow... am I not eating enough?

Depends on what you consider slow. Normal weightloss is 1-2lbs per week.

I eat an average of around 1920 calories per day (at least that's what it was the last time I did the math), lose approx 1lb per week, 5'4.5" tall and weighed in this morning at 171.8lbs (down from 260lbs).

Some weeks I lose nothing, some I gain a lb or 2 and then some I lose 2-4lbs all at once. However, when I go back and average it out, it is generally comes to an average of 1-2lbs per week (2lbs per week when I was heavier....1-1.5lbs currently).

edit: Oh and there was a period at the beginning where I lost 3-4lbs a week for like a month, but it was mostly water and I was eating more than I am now.
    I prefer to start with as many calories as possible that still have me losing weight. This way, whenever I have to cut back, I have plenty of room to do so. At 1200 calories, your already sitting at the lowest recommended calorie intake to get adequate nutrition so there really is no where for you to cut back to if you need to. That's just my opinion though.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Since you're starting weight is very high, your TDEE is high, but TDEE is what you need to eat to maintain your weight, not lose. To lose, you need to eat at least 500 calories below your TDEE. So, you probably could still lose eating 2000-2500, just not as quickly as at 1200.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The point of this is to eat as much as you can and still lose weight.