Whats your approach with the nutrition for your diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    I try to make protein the focus of every meal, and as many vegetables as I can handle. (This usually ends up being just about the daily recommended amount of fruits/veggies because I'm not a huge fan, ha!) Carbs and fat tend to work themselves out because I like delicious food.

With my goal to lose weight: under 1700 calories a day, Insanity 3x a week, lifting weights 2x a week, endurance training once a week. Yoga once a week if I'm being particularly angelic.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Goal is 1800 cals with a 35/35/30 p/c/f split. I usually go over my protein, stay under my carbs, and hit or go over on my fats.

I don't want to do low carb because I can't sustain my workouts on it. I know you can get your body used to running on low carb, but I'd rather not. I feel better when I eat moderate carb, high protein, moderate fat.

That is mine too, except I am eating 1700 calories. I rarely get hungry during the day with that split.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The basics: 1650 calories, get at least 105 grams protein (my macro calls for 120 and I usually get that), aim for at least a couple servings of vegetables at each meal and generally some fruit each day. My fat and protein are 30% and 40% respectively, and so long as I get in the ballpark with protein they usually fall in place or close enough. I found that as I increased my workouts I just naturally wanted a bit more carbs, but on days where my fat is up and carbs down a bit I don't worry, since I have no need for complete precision. Beyond that I've generally found that eating well tends to be easier to sustain for me when I get excited about eating seasonally, cooking, all that, and also when I'm more active.

(Using the numbers makes it sound much more logging-driven than it is, though. I basically know about how much meat/eggs/dairy to incorporate into my meals to hit my protein and all else follows.)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Leaves of three let it be. Leaves of four eat some more.

Perfect.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    1) stay under calories
    2) meet my protein goal

Rest is secondary.

^^THIS
  • hiraethed
    hiraethed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat a higher carb vegan diet, about 65% carb, 15% protein, 20% fat. I try to keep the fat lower when I can. I aim for plenty of potassium and low sodium. I make sure to eat something green and something yellow/red/orange every day. I focus on whole foods when I can but I am a very busy student so I'm not perfect. I have MFP set to lose 1 pound a week but I'm not really concerned with weight loss, just getting fitter and stronger.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Just start the day big and count it all out when it's done, but while throwing my breakfast together i'm doing it with a good sense of awareness towards proteins, complex carbs and fiber.

The only other meal I hit hard without worry is post workout. Than count after. everything else falls into place.

I continue to count simply because i'm a creature of habit. but I'm very likely to do well without because MFP has built the ultimate nutritional guide of awareness in my head after a few years using this app.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Jamess8300 wrote: »
    vamaena wrote: »
    Mine is get as much protein as I can and don't go over 2300 calories a day. I'm not really on a diet though, I gave my lifestyle an overhaul which is why I'm not really restricting anything but practicing moderation.

I think that is good, its very important for this to become a life style, not a diet. I am only doing a short term diet to return to the size i want, but am now planning for a general lifestyle for once i've reached my goal (what i failed to do last time).

I've tried dieting in the past but it never usually worked for more than 2-3 weeks because it was too restrictive. I'm not near my goal but I'm getting there slowly so that's all that matters to me.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I usually follow IIFYM, but right now I'm just staying between 1400 to 1800 calories a day depending on if I workout or not. I'm only eating to lose .5 a week. I have been maintaining for many months now and have just gotten serious again.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Eat low Mon-Wed, around 1700-1900 calories a day
    Eat high Thurs-Sun, 2100-2600 calories a day

As much protein as I can, LOTS of veggies, no processed or junk foods.

Beer and ice cream every day :wink:
    No, they are *not* junk foods. lol

I very rarely eat bread or pasta, and only use butter or other good oils for cooking, no bad oils (vegetable, corn, canola...)

Eat with joy!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    low fat, high fiber. stay within my caloric range. light exercise 3 times a week.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Eat at LEAST 2600 Per day, Make sure I hit my carb target... IIFYM, but made mainly of clean foods...

Eat more if going for PB's\Comp the next day! (Normally close to 4k calories....)

Yes, I am Strength Training - Power Lifting, Strongman, Either Recomping or Bulking
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    1400 calories p/day. Protein gets hit first, truthfully I don't care about the rest. But they do get hit anyway without me trying. Except my carbs and sodium. I'm ALWAYS under on them. (Not intentionally)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    1. Stay at/under calorie goal
    2. Stay under 2,000 mg of sodium/day

Other than those 2, I don't care much about the nutrition.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic, so I really have to listen to what my body's telling me in order to keep myself feeling good. I've been known to go WAY too low on carbs before, unbelievably, which makes me feel shaky and sick. Last week was the first time I've ever had to eat glucose tablets, so I know that I pushed it too far somewhere.

Even if that means that I have to occasionally go over my calories, I WILL do it simply for the fact that if I don't get enough carbs, I'll become very ill. I tend to eat a LOT of protein (maybe too much), and have been "trained" to avoid carbs - not good in my case. I don't think I've had a high blood sugar reading in a VERY long time.

Current range without exercise is 1430 a day, but I'll usually eat about 1800 to 2000 once I factor the exercise in. I exercise 6 out of 7 days a week - usually walking a lot, but do cardio 3x/week and I'm slowly adding lifting into the mix.

So the short answer is - whatever my body tells me to do.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I started out a few months ago with calorie restrictions and eating more veggies and fruits. That worked for a while, then stalled. I added in exercise, but found while I was getting stronger, I also stalled again due to increased calories needed to continue exercise. First I want to lose weight, then I want to get fit. So now, my calories are moderate, but I count carbs. This works for me for now. If that changes, so will my approach.