Doctor's reaction with 1200 calorie diet

Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I read the other day that 100 additional calories eaten per day over what you burn will be a 10# weight gain in one year.
    Well, let's see...
    100 calories/day x 365 days/year = 36,500 cal/year / 3500 cal/lb = 10.4 lb/year
    1200. That has been the old saw of "minimum healthy calories" forever... for anyone. Under any circumstances... any height... activity level... etc
    No, that's the minimum for a woman of average height, with no other medical conditions, not supervised by a healthcare professional. And anyone with a lick of common sense would figure out that someone who's more active would need more.
    oberlin078 wrote:
    For what it's worth, I've been told by both a doctor and a kinesiologist that it's best to eat no lower than your basal metabolic rate
    I'm 5'9"-ish and currently 217. MFP says my current BMR is 1708.
    I've been eating below that pretty much since January (at which time I was almost 60 lb heavier), with a few splurges here & there.
    My current goal is 1400, and my weight loss doc (specialty practice) suggested I go to 1300. They & my GP are quite happy with my health, and I'm stronger & have better stamina than I have for years.
    hmm i want to try the one meal a day thing i know its probably bad but i need some serious help and fast , i really would like to do a fad diet just to shed some pounds that way its a little more easier to move in the gym does anyone have any suggestions ?
    Yes, binge eating is a bad idea, and no, you shouldn't do it or any other fad diet.
    Eat a variety of healthy food, in reasonable portions, so that you're eating 10x your healthy goal weight in calories.
    Exercise at least 30 min a day.
    Lose weight slowly & gradually, make lasting lifestyle changes, and you'll keep the weight off.

51637601.png
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    jal92475 wrote: »
    I haven't been to a general practitioner in years and made myself an appointment finally to discuss my general health and get my flu shot. I mentioned that I had been to the gym before I came and she said that's great. I told her that I'm working on losing weight. I told her that I'm on a 1200 calorie diet. She indicated that was a really low number and I should consider raising my goal. I did explain to her that I eat back the calories I earn from exercise. She felt a little better about that but it just kind of validated what a lot of people say on here. 1200 calories seems to be a little low.

Because it is. *shrug*

What I'd like to know is the probability of success over long term and keeping the weight off after 3 years for the population doing 1200 calories.

My guess would be that the probability is pretty low.

I agree that a survey of people in general eating at 1200 calories may show a low long term success rate (well, even lower than weight loss plans in general - because all of them have a fairly low long term rate) - but if this is further broken down into 1200 calorie diets for those for whom 1200 is an appropriate number
    then I would expect the long term success rate to be on a par with any other given number of calories.

Which gets back to most people's point - 1200 may be appropriate for some people (usually shorter, older, less active women) but it isnt for everyone.

The point then isnt that 1200 calories is neccesarily a bad number - but that people need to be correctly calculating the right number for them, not just using a blanket one-size-fits-all plan.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Because it is. *shrug*

What I'd like to know is the probability of success over long term and keeping the weight off after 3 years for the population doing 1200 calories.

^^^Well, frankly, if you look at statistics, there is a very small majority of people who lose weight and keep the weight off after 3 years. Many of them probably eat more than 1200 calories, and probably many may even eat less than 1200 calories per day. The probability of people gaining back weight they lose is staggeringly high, and my guess would be that that it encompasses a wide range of total calories eaten per day. General guidelines are just that, general. We all are different, one "size" does not fit all.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying 1,200 calories is too low as a blanket statement seems silly. I maintain around 17-1800 calories per day. Surely there are women whom 1,200 calories IS right for.

Regardless OP it's important to realize that GP's receive little to NO training in the field of nutrition. It's sad to say that this is most definitely not a field that's covered at any lengths in medical school. I don't think your doctor has enough training or knowledge on the subject to make such a statement.

If you still need more information speak to a nutrionist or someone who actually has a background in this field.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes, binge eating is a bad idea, and no, you shouldn't do it or any other fad diet.
    Eat a variety of healthy food, in reasonable portions, so that you're eating 10x your healthy goal weight in calories.
    Lose weight slowly & gradually, make lasting lifestyle changes, and you'll keep the weight off.

Makes sense to me.
    If I follow the rest of it ... exercise 30 minutes a day ... etc. At my 5'4" height with a large skeletal frame, that would work out to about 1400 calories ... which coincides with my best-feeling and looking weight of 139 pounds ... back when I was 33. Now that I'm 36 years older, I kind of suspect that would be a high calorie amount if I were still that weight ... but for the morbidly obese weight that I currently am, it's probably a healthy enough calorie goal ... with just 30 minutes of exercise a day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Because it is. *shrug*

^^^Well, frankly, if you look at statistics, there is a very small majority of people who lose weight and keep the weight off after 3 years.
    True, so it wouldn't be a straight forward probability, there'd be a little work involved, but overall, I would bet that the 1200 calorie group would be one of the lower performing groups, if you avoid adding in the ED crowd.

who knows though. I didn't and won't do that research, so I'll never know. :)

• rainbowbow
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Because it is. *shrug*

^^^Well, frankly, if you look at statistics, there is a very small majority of people who lose weight and keep the weight off after 3 years.
    True, so it wouldn't be a straight forward probability, there'd be a little work involved, but overall, I would bet that the 1200 calorie group would be one of the lower performing groups, if you avoid adding in the ED crowd.

who knows though. I didn't and won't do that research, so I'll never know. :)

There has been research done on this. And it determined that it didn't matter HOW big or small the deficit was. People regained weight at the same rate regardless.

• dbmata
    Options
    Have any linkage? I'd be curious to see that. Or know the researcher names so I can google it?
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    NK1112 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

Makes sense to me.
    Not sure why you made it look like I said what you quoted but I didn't.

That's how the quote button put it ... I edited my quote so you wouldn't get the credit.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Have any linkage? I'd be curious to see that. Or know the researcher names so I can google it?

Sure. Gimme a second.
  • dbmata
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Sure. Gimme a second.

Rock.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Here's the

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(14)70200-1/abstract

I believe this is it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Here's the

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(14)70200-1/abstract

I believe this is it.

Thanks, I'm going to have a friend pull the whole paper for me. That's interesting. The spread shown too caught my eye. Small study, but novel.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Here's the

I believe this is it.

Thanks, I'm going to have a friend pull the whole paper for me. That's interesting. The spread shown too caught my eye. Small study, but novel.

Yep. :wink:
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you're short and sedentary 1200 calories is plenty. If you exercise you need more. If you're average height or taller you need more. It's an individual thing.
  • ElviraMarieCerri
    ElviraMarieCerri Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist I saw explained that if your calorie intake is too low, your body reacts by lowering your metabolism so you burn fewer calories during the day. This goes back to a defense mechanism against starvation. (our 'cave dweller' past).