Taco meats

Options
LazyFoodie
LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I'll be going to my favorite hole in the wall taco place for dinner tomorrow and was wondering if any type of taco meat is a lot worse calorie wise than others. I generally get lengua, al pastor, carne asada and carnitas. They all taste great to me so if any of these is more of a calorie bomb than others, I won't get that (or so many of them).

Also, do you think 4 street sized tacos with two tortillas are worse calorie wise or a burrito?

Replies

• jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    can you get a taco salad and ask for the meat on the side? chicken or fish is gonna be your best best unless the beef is steak and not ground as that would absorb more of the oil they cook it in and all their meat is marinated. honestly unless you eat out all the time try to make a good choice and enjoy it, if you are really trying to be careful tho, don't eat tacos have a salad with grilled chicken and top with salsa and black beans. at least for me, tacos are a cheat meal, and i only get one cheat meal per week
  • LazyFoodie
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It is a meal to have what I enjoy. I save my calories during the week and let myself have two higher calorie days so I can go out to eat on weekends. I was just wondering out of the meats that I like, if there is any that might be better. I know chicken and grilled fish would be the best bets but unfortunately those are not among my favorite taco fillings to have at this place. Their marinates are really good. We usually get the tacos to go eat at home so I'll probably have some steamed veggies and less tortilla.
  • jaquelynny
    Options
    well we are all different and have our preferences- but for my meal to enjoy i throw caution out the window. but thats just me and it works. enjoy :-)
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Tacos are delicious. Lengua is usually really fatty since its beef tongue, Al pastor and carnitas are slightly fatty, and carne asada is usually pretty lean. I would search the database for representative calories for each type. I'm imaging that the carne asada tacos will be your best bet calorie wise, at around 250-300 cal/taco.
  • jaquelynny
    Options
    um what doesnt make sense, please share? what works for one may not work for all
  • LazyFoodie
    Options
    Thanks! The Carne asada is pretty good there but tongue is my favorite so sad to hear. I'll prob have one or two anyway tho. Maybe 2 Carne asada and two lengua will be a good balance.
  • jaquelynny
    Options
    everyone is a critic LOL thats ok
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Tortillas de harina are much higher in calories than corn tortillas... enjoy tu carne asada. :smiley:
  • BobbiTracey
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »
    It is a meal to have what I enjoy. I save my calories during the week and let myself have two higher calorie days so I can go out to eat on weekends. I was just wondering out of the meats that I like, if there is any that might be better. I know chicken and grilled fish would be the best bets but unfortunately those are not among my favorite taco fillings to have at this place. Their marinates are really good. We usually get the tacos to go eat at home so I'll probably have some steamed veggies and less tortilla.

I agree. It's a meal out and it's a treat, go out and don't worry too much about calories if you have been good throughout the week. However, I would not recommend that you 'save' your calories through the week because unfortunately it doesn't work. You have a daily calorie limit, and the whole purpose of having a daily calorie limit is defeated if you intentionally 'save' calories for another day. That is not how MFP is supposed to work.
  • LazyFoodie
    Options
    I was cool with the salad suggestion because I did ask what was lower calorie and I might not made my question clear enough to mean among the types of meats I have listed...

BobbiTracey, average calories per week rather than per day is works for me and what allows me to have these higher calorie meals. I'm pretty sure there is nothing unhealthy about this.
  • jaquelynny
    Options
    i didn't tell her to do anything i made a suggestion. i actually told her to enjoy her meal in case you missed my second post beofre you came in with your bulling my post instead of focusing on OP. get over it
  • jaquelynny
    Options
    and buy the way regardless of how it works here, what works for everyone is not always the same i save calories and i lose bodyfat consistently. out that in your pipe and smoke it