Weight Loss and a Foot Injury

Options
Hi there MFP,

I broke my right foot in April of this year, and ever since then it's been a struggle to put closed toe shoes on, let alone work out.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar injury and how they continued with weight loss, and if anyone could share any advice.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    *kitten*! my computer froze. Ok, I broke my leg about three weeks ago and am on crutches. My walks have turned into circuit training sessions. As much as possible I do a session a day in my apartment that includes arm weights, pushups, sit ups, leg raises, etc. Everything is an effort so I'm burning more calories whenever I move. Due to special circumstances, I was able to switch the Zumba classes I teach to chair-based ones.

I can't bend my knee so squats are out, but there's a ton of stuff left. You could use a recumbant bicycle which can be done barefoot.

50% of people drop out of exercise programs who start (I think it's higher than that). Sorry about those people. Excuses run to lack of time, lack of support, etc., but it boils down to lack of believe in one's self.

Good luck and I hope you can get going again.

• DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I knew someone that had bad knees and could not effectively use a treadmill or any other high impact cardio. But, they were able to use a modern rowing machine that had the magnetic drum. It doesn't put pressure on your legs, is primarily driven by your arms and can really get your heart-rate up.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great ideas, remember that weight loss is primarily about what you eat, so you can lose weight regardless of physical limitations.
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you're not in a cast, what about swimming, water group exercise classes or water running? Whenever I'm injured swimming is my go-to exercise because it's very low impact and very forgiving to one or more body parts being out of action :smile:

If you have access to a gym, some gyms have arm ergometers, and you might be able to do some upper-body and core strength training.

Good luck!
  • TeddyCharlton
    TeddyCharlton Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have had 4 reconstructive foot surgeries in the last 2 1/2 years. I most recently starting doing pilates....20 minutes on google search. I love it and it is strengthening my core. I need to add something at some point. But it is a start.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great ideas, remember that weight loss is primarily about what you eat, so you can lose weight regardless of physical limitations.

This may be true, but the OP has 84 lbs to lose.. They have to incorporate some form of exercise in there to maintain their muscle mass, or they will be weaker than they started off with.

I suggest what daweasel said with the water. Try it out, see if it's for you. If not, look at other ways to get your entire body trained in order to maintain the muscle you already have in your body.

Best of luck!