calisthenics(vigorous effort)

Options
Hello! I am wondering: how can I know if I am using vigorous effort when I do my push ups and whatever? Just by how much I sweat?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you can do push ups you are in pretty good shape, but no matter what, push ups are definitely vigorous. You could try singing. ;-) If you can, you should do more.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    What is the reason you are asking? Are you trying to figure out what factor so you can add calories. Then no how much you sweat is no indicator.

Its more about duration and the amount of exertion. So for pushups, they are indeed a vigorous exercise. But you should be doing them fairly consistently, not one every five minutes. And how many are you doing?

Are pushups all that you are doing?
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    if you're going to estimate, err on the conservative side - that way, you're doing awesome with the pushups / other BW exercises and really doing a great job but not overestimating (and risk disappointment).

but love it - what are your favorite push up variations (feet elevated, diamond, clapping, feet elevated / hands on swiss ball, clapping, hand release, plyo off the medicine ball (one hand or both, elbow plank to pushup, as part of burpees, etc. love it!!!)
    And how many are you doing?

ALL OF THE PUSHUPS!
  • Itisneeded
    Itisneeded Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you can do push ups you are in pretty good shape, but no matter what, push ups are definitely vigorous. You could try singing. ;-) If you can, you should do more.
    Thanks, I might try singing one day :wink:
  • Itisneeded
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    What is the reason you are asking? Are you trying to figure out what factor so you can add calories. Then no how much you sweat is no indicator.

Its more about duration and the amount of exertion. So for pushups, they are indeed a vigorous exercise. But you should be doing them fairly consistently, not one every five minutes. And how many are you doing?

Are pushups all that you are doing?

Yes, I was trying to figure out how may calories I am using. I usually do 3 sets of 10, then I do the same for ab crunches and a few other exercises to strengthen my hips, as I have arthritis. I do them all in sequence with no breaks...except for a deeper breath in between.
  • Itisneeded
    Options
    if you're going to estimate, err on the conservative side - that way, you're doing awesome with the pushups / other BW exercises and really doing a great job but not overestimating (and risk disappointment).

but love it - what are your favorite push up variations (feet elevated, diamond, clapping, feet elevated / hands on swiss ball, clapping, hand release, plyo off the medicine ball (one hand or both, elbow plank to pushup, as part of burpees, etc. love it!!!)

ALL OF THE PUSHUPS!
    Oh, I didn't even know there were that many variations of push ups. I am doing this on my own, so nobody to tell me except my kids.
    What is more effective-more push ups, or different variations, possibly making it harder with each push up? I have just started, so I am slowly building it up to more sets at this time.
  • Wronkletoad
    Options
    keep with the slow buildup and keep on doing awesome work! that's the best step. add in variations only after a good strength base (maybe 15 strict pushups)! cheerio
  • NYfirefighter
    NYfirefighter Posts: 31
    edited November 2014
    Options

ALL OF THE PUSHUPS!

That's not an answer, for all we know you're only doing 1 rep each

For instance, in my calisthenics schedules I have atleast 2 to 3 sets of a minimum of 25 reps (and want to get back in the 50 reps per set, atleast if my back will cooperate since push ups aren't friendly for the lower back and especially not with my spinal cord injury)

So once again, how many push ups are you honestly doing?
    Sets and reps
  • coruscatti
    Options
    I would say the best way to estimate is by how out of breath you are, since when you metabolize calories, the carbon that was in the fats/proteins/carbs metabolized is exhaled as carbon dioxide.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When I want to swear and start to grunt but keep going anyway, and do that for at least 3 sets of 15 reps, that's vigorous effort

Also my HRM at over 145 is a good sign
  • Wronkletoad
    Options

ALL OF THE PUSHUPS!

That's not an answer, for all we know you're only doing 1 rep each

For instance, in my calisthenics schedules I have atleast 2 to 3 sets of a minimum of 25 reps (and want to get back in the 50 reps per set, atleast if my back will cooperate since push ups aren't friendly for the lower back and especially not with my spinal cord injury)

So once again, how many push ups are you honestly doing?
    Sets and reps

dude! that seems unnecessary for a fun answer... :|

but...

It depends on the day, how I feel, which ones I"m doing. fewer hand clap pushups (sets of 5 to total maybe 20-30), etc.; maybe do 20-30 regular + 10 diamonds, I guess would be the most-common set I do. they're an accessory to my programming, so pushup numbers aren't important to what I'm doing.

When building up pushups, I like setting a goal and breaking it up into a certain number of sets. Some days the reps would be constant; other days, the reps would be staggered.

With the goal of 50, I started with doing sets of 5,4,3,2,1 = 15 and did that series 4 times - the idea was to avoid being sore the next day / avoid DOMS.

Then would add one to the lowest total set 5,4,3,2,2 the next day. Then 5,4,3,3,2, etc. would just do the +1.

Other progressions would be (2x10) + 1(set of 10 + as many as beyond 10 as possible).

I like your objective goal of 50 and really hope your spinal cord injury heals maximally!!

• Itisneeded
    Options
    ugh! Looks like I have lots to work on :s
  • Itisneeded
    Options
    keep with the slow buildup and keep on doing awesome work! that's the best step. add in variations only after a good strength base (maybe 15 strict pushups)! cheerio

Thanks for the encouragement. I am up to there now, and doing variations. Already feel stronger.
  • quickcrx702
    quickcrx702 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics are also my main workout for now. You know you're giving it a good effort when your arms are on fire! Also, once you can bang out a ton of them, work your way up to one armed push ups. You can start by using a regular pushup position with a slightly wide grip, but then rock back and forth between arms. For example on the first push up, put most of your weight on the right arm, then the second put most of the weight on the left. You have to move your body closer to the arm doing the work.

Don't forget dips(grab some chairs), pullups(get a door gym for $20), and squats(one legged if you can do them). I do other exercises, but those are the main ones that work lots of muscles. I like to go until failure, and then I never wonder if I gave it a good effort.
  • Itisneeded
    Options
    Thanks! That looks like a good routine. I just realized though, that I am apparently doing what my kids call "women's" push ups...with my knees on the floor and toes up. I can only do 22 of them before it gets too hard, so it is going to take some time. I have started doing two different planks, full and elbow, which I am able to do 60 min if I do it in the beginning. It's getting better, and I will definitely try to get that door gym.
  • Itisneeded
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    When I want to swear and start to grunt but keep going anyway, and do that for at least 3 sets of 15 reps, that's vigorous effort

This, I will aim for, but - real push ups. It's got to be possible.