Help! What's the best workout?

Options
Ok so I go to the gym a lot and I'm looking to add a "at home free weight routine".

I think I going to concentrate on arms, shoulders, chest, and back.

How many sets do I do?
How many reps?
How many exercises?
Do I just do arms one day then chest the next ?

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Figure out what your goals are for your body first. Then go read bodybuilding.com forums. Your question is too broad at the moment. You first need to learn about working out in general.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I really don't suggest skipping leg day though. Not a great look.

Anyway, this is a hard question for us to answer. You have to do a little research first I think.
  • Esco5556
    Esco5556 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    t
    Figure out what your goals are for your body first. Then go read bodybuilding.com forums. Your question is too broad at the moment. You first need to learn about working out in general.

On April 24th I weighed 343.3........ Today i weight 272.0 that's 70 lbs in 6 months. Please don't assume that I need to learn about working out in general.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Chris5427 wrote: »
    Ok so I go to the gym a lot and I'm looking to add a "at home free weight routine".

How many sets do I do?
    How many reps?
    How many exercises?

The best one is the one you do.
    for it to be the bestest, it's going to focus on legs first bro.
    Then you gotta eat your brotein.
    Then you gotta get the chest pumps, but don't be always arm day bro.

7d4f5eafec37756a4bc606be267cef0a_650x.jpg
  • Esco5556
    Options
    Don't worry I would never skip leg day. Frankly my legs a tree trunks.
    Just looking to tone, tighten and define my upper body. My weight loss has been very dramatic and a lot of muscles are now appearing from underneath all that fat. My legs are already well defined from the amount of cardio I do so i really just need to concentrate on my upper body.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Have you looked at running a hypertrophy focused program then? If this is at home, and in addition to an existing program, I don't know, but for a short term cycle it might not be deleterious to strength gains assuming you're running a basic strength program.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    t

On April 24th I weighed 343.3........ Today i weight 272.0 that's 70 lbs in 6 months. Please don't assume that I need to learn about working out in general.

I'm sorry but then why is your question so insanely vague? You didn't include what your goals are or what you're trying to achieve or what workouts you're currently doing or how they have effected your body comp. So if you're going to post your questions like a complete newb I'm going to answer you like you're one. Which is much better than giving you a random pointless workout schedule that could be for the complete OPPOSITE of what you're trying to achieve.

I wasn't trying to insult you, but it would seriously help if you asked your question better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just looking to tone, tighten and define my upper body. My weight loss has been very dramatic and a lot of muscles are now appearing from underneath all that fat. My legs are already well defined from the amount of cardio I do so i really just need to concentrate on my upper body.

That's not a good idea...

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    squat, bench, row, OHP, chin-ups, deadlift.
  • dbmata
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That's not a good idea...

Honestly, I'm working off the assumption that he's working a normal beginner strength program, and wants to add on. Not the best choice, but he could. If he's already working a strength program he *could* add in some hypertrophy work, assuming the following parameters:
    1. Diet is on point.
    2. Rest and recovery is on point.
    3. Not using GH.
    4. Is focusing on TUT for hypertrophy work over weight+volume.
  • Esco5556
    Options
    Thanks Chrisdavy. It's clear by your profile you actually might know a bit about weight loss.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    squat, bench, row, OHP, chin-ups, deadlift.

pretty much....

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Is there really a point to do isolation lifts in a calorie deficit since there no mass building anyways?
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options

How many sets do I do?
    How many reps?
    How many exercises?

And why are you unable to workout these areas at your current gym since you apparently go there "a lot?"
  • Esco5556
    Options
    Because i spend an hour a day there as it is. I have a life, a job, a kid, a wife. I don't want to spend 2 hours at the gym is why.

*kitten* me, it's like this place is filled with *kitten* hats who all have an opinion. I'm not interested in a pissing match. Just a little light advice.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Because i spend an hour a day there as it is. I have a life, a job, a kid, a wife. I don't want to spend 2 hours at the gym is why.

*kitten* me, it's like this place is filled with *kitten* hats who all have an opinion. I'm not interested in a pissing match. Just a little light advice.

Whoa! What the heck.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

LOL

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    An hour at the gym should be plenty of time to do a good proven program. Adding a bunch of stuff at home probably wont do you any good, especially while trying to lose weight.

Stronglifts 5x5
    Icecream Fitness 5x5
    Candito training HQ linear program.

Not sure why you asked for opinions and then get all snippy when people try to give you what you ask for. *shrug*
  • cwolfman13
    Options

tumblr_mvywk6UOiA1rr883co1_400.gif

Good luck and all that *kitten*...