God please help...

Options
So far I've lost 60lbs...I'm down from 299 to 239...I was 227lbs at the start of my college semester. My friends always invite me out to eat and they pay for me since I do some work for them.

I've gained 12-14lbs!!! I don't have time for the gym since I'm so exhausted from school work...anyone have any advice!? I don't want to lose all my progress!

I'm really depressed.

Replies

• 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Switch social venues and branch into some cool things to do that are less food oriented!
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Oh and AMAZING job!!!!!!
  • beldona1
    beldona1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try doing a few minutes of exercise at home. Maybe you get a standing boxing bag it is inexpensive on amazon. That way you can use it at any time!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead of time what you will order in the restaurant -- something that fits your calorie goals for the day.
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you want to make it to the gym you'll find a way. I'm a college student and mom of 4. I still make it to the gym 5 days a week.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Need better payment than food…It would be a shame for you to lose any progress as I have…i am playing catchup and I'm ok as long as i stop it in its trax. just pay real close attention to what you eat Im afraid your on maintaince more than if it has to be this way then embrace it for what its worth..park farther wear a pedometer and go for short walks in a day-who knows it can add up …go on slow walks-they are supposed to burn more calories than faster walks--i got it from a website so please no one cut me down for the walking facts…its what i read and my source was the internet…google search how to maintain off a busy schedule and look for legit sites like reputable magazines like fitness mag websites that have advice on how to stay fit on a crazy schedule…its what i do and just old fashioned calisthenics..when you wake up or go to bed do pushups or whatever you CAN do before your routine starts..if you can wake up 15 minutes earlier then do so to break out a sweat….go swimming instead of eating out. play b-ball or throw football idk at least your heart rate will get going…its the most important muscle in your body (besides your brain) so if your heart muscle is working your doing great things...
  • Hotshoe1200
    Hotshoe1200 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eating out is one of the biggest challenges, if you ask me. Like Beldona1 said, it helps to look up the restaurant online and pick out your food ahead of time, but sometimes you end up at some local restaurant that doesn't have any online nutritional data. Or you get there and everyone else's food looks so good. I know you may be tired after school, but if you start to exercise, even a little bit every day, you can earn some extra calories that way. And on the days that you don't eat out, you'll boost your calorie deficit. And it's funny, but sometimes exercising gives you more energy. You've done too well so far to be depressed.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Maybe they can pay you in cash or trade furs instead of food?
  • 1LadyKate
    1LadyKate Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    blonditz wrote: »
    If you want to make it to the gym you'll find a way. I'm a college student and mom of 4. I still make it to the gym 5 days a week.

60lbs!!! That is an awesome job

I go to the gym 3 (sometimes 4) days a week right now for 2 hours. I tell myself I need those 6 hours a week for my sanity. I am also a full-time college student and mother.
    My friend (who is also full-time) goes to the gym when he wakes up in the morning. There are less people and he is done first thing. I am working to change my workouts to first thing in the morning.
    If you really can't make it to the gym, find somewhere near your house and walk in the morning. You have to make the commitment; rededicate yourself and do this for you!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Stop going out to eat. Have them pay you in cash.
  • ironsun
    Options
    Work as in homework?
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    Eating out is one of the biggest challenges, if you ask me. Like Beldona1 said, it helps to look up the restaurant online and pick out your food ahead of time, but sometimes you end up at some local restaurant that doesn't have any online nutritional data. Or you get there and everyone else's food looks so good. I know you may be tired after school, but if you start to exercise, even a little bit every day, you can earn some extra calories that way. And on the days that you don't eat out, you'll boost your calorie deficit. And it's funny, but sometimes exercising gives you more energy. You've done too well so far to be depressed.
    Agree and its really what i did in the summer that just passed. I would meet hubby at resteraunt and before I left just go on website and see what looked good and healthy..and bonus i won't be the one deciding what i want to eat hehe..good habit to form..i had my second burger from red robin this fall…those things ugh 1000 calories + so i usually always get their grilled chicken and you can finish it all there instead of discipling yourself to eat only half and going home hungry still
  • RedArizona5
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Agree and its really what i did in the summer that just passed. I would meet hubby at resteraunt and before I left just go on website and see what looked good and healthy..and bonus i won't be the one deciding what i want to eat hehe..good habit to form..i had my second burger from red robin this fall…those things ugh 1000 calories + so i usually always get their grilled chicken and you can finish it all there instead of discipling yourself to eat only half and going home hungry still
    Cash is king though so I def. second that emdeesea!!!!
    Take cash and go to a healthy joint or save it and have something healthy at home instead
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Now comes the hard part , maintaining your loss.

You don't have to eat just because someone else is paying. Order a salad or something small. If it doesn't contribute to your goals, don't eat it.

Come to this site, log your food and exercise. Then you'll know what you can "afford" to eat.

Try to find some friends who like the gym instead of just food. Or get in a good solid workout every weekend - a long bike ride or a big hike. Or do a little walking every day. Even 30 minutes makes a difference (replace a drive or bus ride with walking or biking).

You don't have to go back to the way you were. But that's what will happen if you don't make a change,
  • trungalung
    Options
    Exhausted from school work? I'd been there and I know it's tough. My advice? Power through it. You need pure determination, not motivation. As long you can spare an hour, you can go to the gym. If you're going to a university, try going to their gym after or between classes. Mine was free when I was a student.

Also, I eat out almost 24/7. You just need to control your portion. I like to split my lunch into halves (save one for my pre work out meal) and drink a lot of water while eating.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You could approach them with something like, "Guys, I really appreciate you feeding me. Seriously. But I'm getting fat again, so maybe we can cut down on the restaurant trips?" If I were your friend and you said something like that, I'd say, "No problem!" and then find other things to do for you, like paying for your movie ticket or giving you a gas/grocery gift card.

If that won't work, try to steer them toward restaurants that have online nutrition info and pre-plan your meal.

If that doesn't work, and you end up at "Dick & Jane's House o' Greasy Grub & Billiards", choose things that are easy to log. Look for the healthiest items on the menu, like meat that isn't swimming in sauce or a salad that isn't loaded with croutons and dressing. If you do get a salad, ask for the dressing on the side. If you get a burger, remove the bun to save on calories. I always check for things like chicken breasts with a side of veggies or turkey sandwiches because they're lower in calories, and bread can be removed from sandwiches.

I am in grad school, so I get that it's easy to become swamped with homework and other responsibilities. I aim for 30 minutes per day. Do you have any down time between classes? Even just walking around campus instead of sitting outside of your next class can help.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    LOL trade furs?

My brainstorm revealed the following:

Get paid in sexual favors.
    Get paid in beer.
    Get paid in food but ask for half to be boxed "to go" right when ordering. Eat it later or the next day, TWO payments in one.
    Get paid in rides to places you need to go. Gas is expensive too.
    Get paid in free personal training. Seriously do work for ppl who can train you. This seems like the best trade to me, second only to fur trading.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oh by the way, I'm not God ( in case my ideas didn't reveal that) but I wanted to be helpful anyways. Pretty sure God's not gonna answer b/c I don't think he does MFP. Try facebook though, that's where I'd go to reach the sinners if I were him.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    blonditz wrote: »

+100 to this. Have you ever thought that if you were fitter, then you might not feel so run down?

As said above if you cant manage to get to a gym because you are a busy student, then exercise at home and generally move more.

Also as said above stop accepting payment in meals and find another form. Congrats on your weight loss, but that indicates you know exactly how it works, but you are going directly against that by eating more than you burn. If you have to o out then just have a healthy meal or a childs portion. You already have the discipline to do that.

One good tip I saw on here was to immediately portion the food you needed and then share the rest out amongst your friends soits not on your plate to eat. I find it surprising you cant make the obvious connection that everyone else is about your method of payment.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i find that making some time to exercise means i'm more focussed, and I sleep better. So maybe it'll actually give you more energy and focus, and you won't be as exhausted from school work? You don't need to go to the gym to exercise either, there's lots of great at home workouts which are free that you can do that you can find online. If you are worried about a small space, like if you're in a dorm room or something look for things like hotel room workouts that will give you ideas for what you can do with what space you have. Or perhaps just a walk or jog to help clear your mind before or after your school work?