Hello! (And question)

Options
Hello!

New to the site, and I have some burning questions about exercise and weight gain.

So I've been doing the Insanity workout for about 10 months now, and have seen some good results... At least at first. I started at about 160lbs (I'm a 5'9" male 26 btw), I dont think I was necessarily chubby or anything, but I just felt blah. In any case, 10 months later I'm actually down to around 124-125, and according to my wife and everyone around me I'm looking a bit too thin, almost unhealthy.

At first I dismissed this as nonsense, and almost took it as a compliment in a weird way. But lately things have been getting incredibly stressful and hard. What started as working out for fitness and fun turned into obsessively counting calories, restricting what I eat, working out wayyyyyyy more than in the beginning (insanity program is once a day 6 days, and I'm up to 2 insanity DVDs sometimes 7 days a week and jogging a couple of miles afterward sometimes).

This has had obvious negative consequences on my health and how I feel, my relationships, but weirdest and worst of all... My weight. It feels like it's harder for me to control my weight now than ever, and I'm feeling like being down so low doing so much cardio is making me more susceptible to weight fluctuations when I eat poorly? I guess it doesn't help that I binge every now and again because I feel like I can't control it when I'm around bad food...

So sorry for the long initial post... But I had to say all of that to get to this....

With a lot of support from my living beautiful wife I've decided to cut back on exercise and to eat more to allow myself to gain some weight back, if only to get back to where I can feel content and happy with life, and not be so worried and consumed by fitness. I'm thinking I'd be happy in the 140 range.

My question is though: how do I cut back on exercise without skyrocketing on the scale? I've decided a 3 day on 1 off 2 on 1 off (5 day routine) will work for my family and I, and be something I could commit to without overdoing it. But I'm already seeing the scale shoot up! Again I landed at 124-125, and 3 days into my workout lifestyle change I feel like it's all coming undone? Is it ok to make such an abrupt change? And will keeping myself in a deficit for so long make me store more fat now that I'm eating more as well?

If you read this, thank you so much, and any recommendations or support would be greatly appreciated!

Chuck M.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    125 is bordering on underweight for someone of your height according to BMI charts. 160 is fairly middle ground normal weight for a 5'9" person. If your weight is suddenly shooting up, it's likely due to you normalizing your calorie intake, and your body replenishing glycogen stores. Don't worry about intial gains too much.

Try looking at this website to figure out your actual calorie needs per day. At your current exercise level, height and weight, you need at least 2600 calories per day to maintain your current weight. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ It might make you feel better.

Also, how much are you eating calorie-wise? And what kinds of foods? Your diary is not open, so I couldn't check. If you've been eating a lot of high-sodium foods, that's going to cause water retention which causes weight fluctuation.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've decided to cut back on exercise and to eat more to allow myself to gain some weight back
    Gaining is a good plan. You mention a ton of cardio exercises, but you don't mention any strength training. You should switch your goals to adding muscle mass. To add muscle mass you have to eat more and strength train. Less cardio more lifting heavy things.

Once you get your head wrapped around getting stronger and bigger you'll no longer be concerned with the weight going up. Right now your mind seems to be fixed on the number on the scale. Sometimes it's best to toss the scale and get to work.

Time to change your goals.

• RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    You may also try to repost this in the 'Gaining Weight' forums to solicit additional feedback.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I think you have a problem that you should get some help with from a psychologist. I am not being facetious but i think this would help you.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I too think you need to speak with a professional because you have entered into eating disorder realm. Men can have ED too. Getting some professional help while you work towards moving to a healthier weight and lifestyle would not be a bad thing.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The best would be to go see a nutritionist and a trainer. Instead of thinking weight gain or loss, you should think about body fat and muscle. Either a nutritionist or a trainer could tell your what your body fat % is. From there, you could work on putting on muscles.
    Good luck on your health journey!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hello!

New to the site, and I have some burning questions about exercise and weight gain.

So I've been doing the Insanity workout for about 10 months now, and have seen some good results... At least at first. I started at about 160lbs (I'm a 5'9" male 26 btw), I dont think I was necessarily chubby or anything, but I just felt blah. In any case, 10 months later I'm actually down to around 124-125, and according to my wife and everyone around me I'm looking a bit too thin, almost unhealthy.

Your profile says 26yo female. Just sayin.

Start lifting and eat more.
  • RoadieKill104
    RoadieKill104 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! Makes me feel better already. I will certainly work on my diary and set up some starting goals here soon.

Also I changed my profile to make haha.

A little bit more about me: to be honest Im a horrible dieter....

I try and eat 3 rounded meals a day. wheat toast eggs with turkey bacon and an apple for breakfast with a glass of almond milk most days to get going. Lunch is usually an almond butter and jam sandwich on wheat, or maybe some grilled chicken and rice, a side of fruit, maybe some crackers. Dinner is many times where I eat the crap.... Pizza, maybe qdoba, a sub.... Depends on the day. Sometimes I can keep dinner semi healthy though, it really depends. My biggest downfall I think though is the snacking. The candy bars and Ice cream get me, though I don't eat the bad stuff everyday.

I know I need to clean up my diet, though I realy want my main goa long term to be to stop counting calories and to just eat what I feel like eating (obviously making healthier choices most of the time) and staying on a workout regimen that supports a lifestyle where there's not so much thinking involved!

I am concerned with fitness and health, but to me this adventure has turned into a nightmare as I've found that I care about being fit, but I guess I've found that I don't have the want or will to dive as deeply into it as I originally planned. I just want to get to and maintain a healthy weight/figure that kind of forms the basis of my life that I don't really have to think about. Fitness to enhance my life, not to control it. I hope that makes sense.

Do you all think I should keep eating normally (healthier choices obviously) and just stick to my workouts and kind of just let the scale do what it wants then? Again that was my main concern, as I've read that drastically altering workout practices and cutting back without modifying calories can lead to big weight spikes as your body begins to kind of store all the extra energy in preparation for your "assumed normal" energy expenditure from before.

Again thank you all! I seriously feel better already!

Chuck M.
  • RoadieKill104
    RoadieKill104 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Also I'm obviously not very keen on lifting or weight training, any suggestions on a good starting split (taking into account that right now I'm pretty active in the cardio dept) routine to get some strength training in, and what kind of lifting should I be doing?

Sorry to say I'm a complete newbie in the gym, and the last thing I want to do is just stand there doing useless curls haha. I know that weightlifting is a completely different type of exercise and I have to say that I'm completely dumb to the different effective moves/ motions that comprise a good weightlifting routine.

Thank you!
    Chuck M.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The best option is to hire a personal trainer to teach you proper form and get you started on a proper program.

If that's not doable then starting strength is another option.
    http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

Also this:
    You may also try to repost this in the 'Gaining Weight' forums to solicit additional feedback.